Carrie published 47 years ago today:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carrie published 47 years ago today:

April 5th 1973 saw the release of Stephen Kings first novel. I was only 10 at the time but Kings writing has impacted my life in a great many ways. Here is to many more books!

I was still reading The Hardy Boys and Enid Blyton books in 1973. I didn't discover SK until 1979.

Comment

I honestly am not able to recall when I first read King or what the title was. I know I would have either picked it up at the library or an old paperback from a used bookstore, most likely in the early eighties. I do remember that I started buying 1st edition hardbound copies as they were released in 1990 with Four Past Midnight, by then I had read a lot of his work. At this point I have only two I have still never read. The Wind Through the Keyhole and Black House.

Comment

I remember it well. I was 14 and home from school with the flu. My mom was going to the library, and I asked her to pick up some books for me. She came home with 'Salem's Lot and The Stand.

I'd never heard of this Stephen King guy, but I read those books in two days. I can't remember which one I read first, but I'd guess 'Salem's Lot, just because it's the shorter of the two.
        Last edited by Dave1442397; 04-08-2020, 12:45 PM.

Comment

Carrie.jpg

I can't remember the first Stephen King book I read either. I do know that the first book of his that I bought new when it first came out was Cycle of the Werewolf. I bought the hardcover because I was/am a huge Bernie Wrightson fan. I guess that would have been 1983? The next King book that I bought new was It. After that I bought each of his novels as they were released.

Comment

I guess the typo on that press release was a promise of things to come. They meant $400,000, not $4,000,000.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave1442397 View Post
              I guess the typo on that press release was a promise of things to come. They meant $400,000, not $4,000,000.
              I must confess that I wasn't sure if they meant $4000.00 or $400,000.

Comment

My first and favorite Stephen King book is Salem's Lot. I read it when it first came out in paperback, back in those days I didn't have money for hardbacks and first editions. I have fond memories of Carrie, though I'm not a big fan of the back. I found a first edition of Carrie about 20 years ago. A short time later, I found myself in a bit of a financial twist and was able to sell it. Just as Carrie bailed Stephen King out, it bailed me out too. I made enough money to make a mortgage payment and take my wife out on a rare dinner date, that didn't feature buns and french fries LOL!! Better start saving men, those 50th anniversary editions are coming out soon HAHAH!!
                Last edited by mhatchett; 04-08-2020, 01:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave1442397 View Post
                  I know King has told the story about when he learned of the paperback sale of Carrie and he uses the $400,000 amount. That is a cool article though.

Comment

Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                      I know King has told the story about when he learned of the paperback sale of Carrie and he uses the $400,000 amount. That is a cool article though.
                      Yep, $400K... split between him and Doubleday, I believe. And if I recall correctly, he wanted to get Tabitha a surprise for when he told her the news... so he went to the corner pharmacy and bought her a new hairdryer.

Brian
                      Brian James Freeman

Lividian Publications: http://www.Lividian.com
                      My Writing: http://www.BrianJamesFreeman.com

Comment

Originally posted by Brian James Freeman View Post
                        Yep, $400K... split between him and Doubleday, I believe. And if I recall correctly, he wanted to get Tabitha a surprise for when he told her the news... so he went to the corner pharmacy and bought her a new hairdryer.

Brian
                        That's the story I remember!

Comment

Weird thing is that I love SK but Carrie and Dead Zone are not books I like.

I think my first book was either The Gunslinger or COTW. I don't remember which.
                          Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post

I think my first book was either The Gunslinger or COTW. I don't remember which.
                            I like Carrie, but The Dead Zone has always been one of my favorites. I have to go back and read The Dark Tower series again one day.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post

It took me looking at my Stephen King books to realize what COTW was. I had completely forgotten about Cycle of the Werewolf. The only novel (of any authors) that I could think of with that acronym was Call of the Wild. And now I can't help but to imagine what a Stephen King version of Call of the Wild might be like...

Comment

Working...
                              X