RIP Mark Tyree aka Hoke...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RIP Mark Tyree aka Hoke...

I know some forum members were good friends with him and many of us had at least crossed paths with him over the years at different forums. My condolences to his friends and family.

https://twitter.com/stevensavile/sta...248734728?s=21
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

I was not fortunate enough to know hime. My condolences to all who did.

Comment

I know the name but not the person. Sorry to hear about his passing.

Comment

Oh, God...I thought I was seeing things when I saw the thread title.This crazy SOB has been my online buddy for about twenty years. Damn.
        Truly a one-of-a-kind.
        You'll be missed, my friend.
        http://thecrabbyreviewer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by dannyboy121070 View Post
          Oh, God...I thought I was seeing things when I saw the thread title.This crazy SOB has been my online buddy for about twenty years. Damn.
          Truly a one-of-a-kind.
          You'll be missed, my friend.
          Sorry to be the bearer of the bad news, Danny...I know you and njhorror were friends of his.
          Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

No, no...Thank you for sharing this, Ron. It would have been much worse to find out a long time after the fact. I appreciate you letting us know.
            I hope he's at peace.

Comment

My condolences to all who knew him.

Comment

Is Mark Tyree the same Tyree that posts on here about movies?

Comment

oh hell. shit.
                  Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
                  Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
                    Is Mark Tyree the same Tyree that posts on here about movies?
                    That's what I was wondering also. R.I.P all the same.

Comment

yes, that's him.
                      Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
                      Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

May he rest in peace. I didn't know him however I did appreciate his energy and love of his interests.
                        Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

I vaguely knew Mark Tyree as a funny guy that I occasionally stumbled across on the Shocklines message board. He was a prolific e-bay seller, and I bought a signed Dan Simmons book from him about 20 years ago for $25.00. The book arrived, and he had included an ungodly amount of extra stuff that he, as he later told me, "just threw in". These things he just threw in were about $100.00 worth of other books, almost all of which were signed. I e-mailed him and asked him if he made a mistake, and offered to send the extra books back to him. His reply is long since lost, but was along the lines of "Who doesn't want free stuff, ya shanty Irish bastich??" He sent me this extra stuff because something I posted on Shocklines made him laugh "...for twenty fuckin' hours straight!"

And that started a nearly endless string of instant messages, e-mails, and message board posts. We shared a million laughs, he cheered me up when I lost my job, he encouraged me to go after the woman that I would eventually marry, he sent me the most beautiful, touching e-mail when my son was born, he had my back when I had some nasty internet wars with some well-known authors/assholes, he sent me random messages that took hours to read, detailing all of his Larry David-esque misadventures. My best memory of him was from 2005...I lived in a horrid little upstairs apartment, and I had a broken ankle that pretty much kept me homebound for six weeks during a truly horrid winter. I couldn't negotiate my icy outdoor steps, and I couldn't drive even if I could get to my car. I was as miserable as I had ever been. My mother had my P.O. Box keys, and one day she arrived with my Dad, who was lugging a box so big that he could hardly get his arms around it. It had a strange return address with no name, and when I opened it up, it was filled with books. So many books that I still have some that I haven't had a chance to read yet. And I knew, just KNEW, who it was from. No name, no note, no nothing. Just the books...a collection that I later discovered was personally curated to match my tastes and interests, sent by someone I had never met in person, someone whose voice I had never even heard. When I sent him a message that simply said "Did you send me a box...?", he replied "Who, me? Tee hee hee..." Those books did wonders for my morale in my freezing, damp, leaky little hovel.

And that was Mark Tyree in a nutshell. Someone who would, literally, give you the shirt off of his own back if you needed it.

And that Dan Simmons book that I was so frantic to own, back in the day...? I never got around to reading it. It is tucked away on a shelf directly to the right of the desk I'm sitting at as I type this. And I think I'll leave it there for a bit. I'll take it down and crack it open when I'm missing my friend, and remember him as I read it.

You'll be missed, buddy. Be at peace.

Comment

Same Here. Never met or spoke to the guy, but I've read a lot of his forum threads and watched a lot of films based on his recommendations. What a bummer. RIP

Comment

Originally posted by dannyboy121070 View Post
                              I vaguely knew Mark Tyree as a funny guy that I occasionally stumbled across on the Shocklines message board. He was a prolific e-bay seller, and I bought a signed Dan Simmons book from him about 20 years ago for $25.00. The book arrived, and he had included an ungodly amount of extra stuff that he, as he later told me, "just threw in". These things he just threw in were about $100.00 worth of other books, almost all of which were signed. I e-mailed him and asked him if he made a mistake, and offered to send the extra books back to him. His reply is long since lost, but was along the lines of "Who doesn't want free stuff, ya shanty Irish bastich??" He sent me this extra stuff because something I posted on Shocklines made him laugh "...for twenty fuckin' hours straight!"

And that started a nearly endless string of instant messages, e-mails, and message board posts. We shared a million laughs, he cheered me up when I lost my job, he encouraged me to go after the woman that I would eventually marry, he sent me the most beautiful, touching e-mail when my son was born, he had my back when I had some nasty internet wars with some well-known authors/assholes, he sent me random messages that took hours to read, detailing all of his Larry David-esque misadventures. My best memory of him was from 2005...I lived in a horrid little upstairs apartment, and I had a broken ankle that pretty much kept me homebound for six weeks during a truly horrid winter. I couldn't negotiate my icy outdoor steps, and I couldn't drive even if I could get to my car. I was as miserable as I had ever been. My mother had my P.O. Box keys, and one day she arrived with my Dad, who was lugging a box so big that he could hardly get his arms around it. It had a strange return address with no name, and when I opened it up, it was filled with books. So many books that I still have some that I haven't had a chance to read yet. And I knew, just KNEW, who it was from. No name, no note, no nothing. Just the books...a collection that I later discovered was personally curated to match my tastes and interests, sent by someone I had never met in person, someone whose voice I had never even heard. When I sent him a message that simply said "Did you send me a box...?", he replied "Who, me? Tee hee hee..." Those books did wonders for my morale in my freezing, damp, leaky little hovel.

And that was Mark Tyree in a nutshell. Someone who would, literally, give you the shirt off of his own back if you needed it.

And that Dan Simmons book that I was so frantic to own, back in the day...? I never got around to reading it. It is tucked away on a shelf directly to the right of the desk I'm sitting at as I type this. And I think I'll leave it there for a bit. I'll take it down and crack it open when I'm missing my friend, and remember him as I read it.

You'll be missed, buddy. Be at peace.
                              Thank you for sharing this.

Comment

Working...
                              X