Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Richard "Carla" Laymon - A STRANGERS ARMS" Question

Not sure where this question belongs:

Is there any chance that CD or any other publisher will obtain the rights to produce a limited edition of A STRANGERS ARMS? it's so scarce that I can't imagine it wouldn't sell out quickly. CD seems to be the perfect publisher for this project. I'll never be able to afford a copy of the original.

Originally posted by fanatic View Post

Is there any chance that CD or any other publisher will obtain the rights to produce a limited edition of A STRANGERS ARMS? it's so scarce that I can't imagine it wouldn't sell out quickly. CD seems to be the perfect publisher for this project. I'll never be able to afford a copy of the original.
    I can’t speak to that actual book but www.darkregions.com is releasing a Laymon series of books. You might contact them and see if it is one they are planning on or would consider.

Comment

MIDNIGHT'S LAIR will be the third and final Laymon book from Dark Regions. If you contact Dark Regions you should ask them when they are going to give updates on MIDNIGHT'S LAIR - they were supposed to provide a 'we sent it to the printer' update in September/October 2019.

Kelly has indicated that she will publish A STRANGER'S ARMS as an ebook. I would like to see CD bring out more Laymon books because every CD Laymon book turned out very well. I think the only way Kelly would consider any more books from CD is if CD could promise they would be published within say, 1-2 years. Richard Chizmar unofficially announced IN LAYMON'S TERMS in a 2001 interview, so the 10 year wait for IN LAYMON'S TERMS was far from ideal.

Comment

I was hoping that this topic might prompt Rich to talk to Kelly about a nice limited edition!

Comment

I have never heard of this book. Anything Laymon is usually good

Comment

Originally posted by fanatic View Post
            I was hoping that this topic might prompt Rich to talk to Kelly about a nice limited edition!
            It is always worth a shot. Another shot, if you utilize anti-social media is to see if Kelly has a presence on them and reach out to her asking if she knows of any plans. I had a few interactions with Kelly back when she worked with Richard and she was Very pleasant to deal with. I would assume she would be when asking about her fathers work as well.

I for one would love to see this in print!

Comment

When Laymon died in 2001, Richard Chizmar indicated in an mass email/newsletter shortly thereafter that he planned to do what he called a Laymon Library, a longterm project reprinting every book Laymon ever wrote, to keep his name alive and work (generally) in print. That, however, of course did not happen, so not sure if the relationship with the Laymon estate hit some bumps or CD's interest in reprinting his work waned. I'd be awfully surprised if there is much more -- if any -- in the way of Laymon reprints coming down the pike from CD, and even less so his more obscure books like his romance and YA work, e.g. A STRANGER'S ARMS.

What I'd love to see is an HC omnibus of his Fearon single-story chapbooks that were designed for adult easy reading and middle/high school libraries. I *think* there were around a dozen, perhaps a few more, so it'd make for a great volume. I don't expect to see it from CD, though...it seems like their focus these days is more on original fiction & collections or deluxe editions of contemporary works (e.g. HEAD FULL OF GHOSTS, FULL THROTTLE, et al)...not too much in the way of reprints of older material anymore.

EDIT: Here are a few of the Fearon chapbooks that I own (top five in the picture):
              https://twitter.com/ron_clinton/stat...313295360?s=20
              Last edited by RonClinton; 03-01-2020, 07:03 PM.
              Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
                When Laymon died in 2001, Richard Chizmar indicated in an mass email/newsletter shortly thereafter that he planned to do what he called a Laymon Library, a longterm project reprinting every book Laymon ever wrote, to keep his name alive and work (generally) in print. That, however, of course did not happen, so not sure if the relationship with the Laymon estate hit some bumps or CD's interest in reprinting his work waned. I'd be awfully surprised if there is much more -- if any -- in the way of Laymon reprints coming down the pike from CD, and even less so his more obscure books like his romance and YA work, e.g. A STRANGER'S ARMS.

What I'd love to see is an HC omnibus of his Fearon single-story chapbooks that were designed for adult easy reading and middle/high school libraries. I *think* there were around a dozen, perhaps a few more, so it'd make for a great volume. I don't expect to see it from CD, though...it seems like their focus these days is more on original fiction & collections or deluxe editions of contemporary works (e.g. HEAD FULL OF GHOSTS, FULL THROTTLE, et al)...not too much in the way of reprints of older material anymore.

EDIT: Here are a few of the Fearon chapbooks that I own (top five in the picture):
                https://twitter.com/ron_clinton/stat...313295360?s=20
                I remember hearing of Mr. Laymons passing in an email from Richard and of the plan for a group of Laymon reprints. I would love to see the laser known Laymon works be back in print.

Comment

I think that the chances of this to happen are really low
                  Last edited by samll; 11-30-2020, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by samll View Post
                    basket random
                    I think that the chances of this to happen are really low
                    I'm not sure why we mention a loan transfer.

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post

https://twitter.com/ron_clinton/stat...313295360?s=20 word hurdle
                      I searched for his chapbook very hard, thank you for sharing it

Comment

Originally posted by kshane View Post
                        MIDNIGHT'S LAIR will be the third and final Laymon book from Dark Regions. If you contact Dark Regions you should ask them when they are going to give updates on MIDNIGHT'S LAIR - they were supposed to provide a 'we sent it to the printer' update in September/October 2019.

Kelly has indicated that she will publish A STRANGER'S ARMS as an ebook. I would like to see CD bring out more Laymon books because every CD Laymon book turned out very well. I think the only way Kelly would consider any more books from CD is if CD could promise they would be published within say, 1-2 years. Richard Chizmar unofficially announced IN LAYMON'S TERMS in a 2001 interview, so the 10 year wait for IN LAYMON'S TERMS was far from ideal.
                        ILT ran into a lot of complications that have never been publicly disclosed. I'm just glad it got done in the end!
                        Brian James Freeman

Lividian Publications: http://www.Lividian.com
                        My Writing: http://www.BrianJamesFreeman.com

Comment

I guess I'll never be able to read this book.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian James Freeman View Post

ILT ran into a lot of complications that have never been publicly disclosed. I'm just glad it got done in the end!
                            The book did turn out great, but the ten year wait for ILT means that Kelly will never want to have anything published by CD again. Since 2011, the only 'new' Laymon material has been the three special editions from Dark Regions for NIGHT SHOW, FUNLAND, and MIDNIGHT'S LAIR, and that's it. For all I know it could be five years, ten years, or even longer before anything else gets published. I very much miss Richard Laymon (both the writer and the person) and since Laymon is no longer here then I sure would love for more of his unpublished fiction - QUEEN OF THE SUNSET PALACE, unpublished novels, unpublished short stories, etc. - to be released.

Comment

Originally posted by kshane View Post

The book did turn out great, but the ten year wait for ILT means that Kelly will never want to have anything published by CD again. Since 2011, the only 'new' Laymon material has been the three special editions from Dark Regions for NIGHT SHOW, FUNLAND, and MIDNIGHT'S LAIR, and that's it. For all I know it could be five years, ten years, or even longer before anything else gets published. I very much miss Richard Laymon (both the writer and the person) and since Laymon is no longer here then I sure would love for more of his unpublished fiction - QUEEN OF THE SUNSET PALACE, unpublished novels, unpublished short stories, etc. - to be released.
                              There are lots of publishers out there, so if Kelly and company wanted to publish anything, they could and would.

Brian
                              Brian James Freeman

Lividian Publications: http://www.Lividian.com
                              My Writing: http://www.BrianJamesFreeman.com

Comment

Working...
                              X