No announcement yet.

Super 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hostel is on my list to see. Then again, everyone told me The Ring would be scary, but I found myself laughing for the most part.
    Website l Facebook l Author Page l Twitter l Instagram l Amazon

Comment

True,The exorcist had me in its grip.I was about 13 years old waiting for the Bed to start rattling.

Comment

I thought The Strangers was pretty scary and also I liked Paranormal Activity. Also, Blair Witch Project didn't really scare me until that very last scene. To this day I cannot think about that scene too much in the house at night with all the lights off or else my mind will start imagining things.

Comment

thanks for the reviews. I want to see this movie.

Comment

So do I!

sk

Comment

I thought the movie had a great level of suspense.
              Spoiler!
              I literally fell out of my seat. I agree with the other posts: Not a clear view of the monster, I was just anxiously waiting to get a peak. I thought it was a great movie and definitely recommend it!

Comment

So is the movie very scary? Too scary for a 10 yr old? We are just starting to let our son start to watch scary movies and I don't want it to give him nightmares or anything. We let him watch Signs the other night; I really like that movie. I think M. Knight Shyamalan (sp?) is awesome!

Comment

It's not too scary; 10 years hould be ok.

I really wanted to like this film. Don't get me wrong, I didn't dislike it, but I wasn't blown away as I felt I should have been.

I think JJ Abrams is the only director of big-budget films who thinks distoritons caused by the camera and caught on film are cool. They're not. They serve only to draw focus away from what is happening on screen. And for those of us who wear glasses, we get residual tracers. Only 3D is more annoying, but fortunately, I can choose 2D viewing (most of the time).

The film had no lasting suspense. Everytime tension was built, it ended in a loud, violent act that completely drained the viewer; then he has to sit through 10-20 minutes until the next big "surprise." Eventually you get immune to the technique and the film no longer is even startling. Whereas a movie like...Signs...built suspense and tension out of little things and kept it going, taking you to the edge of suspense and gving you just a peek of what may be around the corner before it withdrew.

I was about the same age as these kids were in 1979 and a lot of the fashions, haircuts, and props were all wrong--it looked like the 90s version of the 1970s.

Overall, not a bad movie, but not a mermorable one.
                  Last edited by srboone; 06-24-2011, 04:20 PM.
                  "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Originally posted by ozmosis7 View Post
                    Hostel is on my list to see. Then again, everyone told me The Ring would be scary, but I found myself laughing for the most part.
                    Watch "Ringu"--the japanese original. Much better.

Also try to see "Ju-On" the japanese movie remade as "The Grudge" in the US. A freakfest!
                    "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

I took my kids to see Super 8. My 11 year old loved it, my 13 year old thought it was okay. I thought it was fun, but it wasn't scary at all. If you want to see a fun scary movie with kids, go see Insidious.

Comment

Originally posted by mlouisdixon View Post
                        I'm curious to know what films actually scared people. When was the last time you saw a film that was really scary? Most people will point out something they saw as a kid, but what about something you saw when you were an adult?

MLD
                        When I was young, yes of course, The Exorcist was the scariest movie I'd ever seen. Since I've been an adult, I still find The Exorcist very scary. But the movie that scared me, and unnerved me, the most was Manhunter, Michael Mann's version of Red Dragon. The coldness of Graham describing the crime scenes beat any action scene they could have made to make things unsettling. But when they revealed how the Tooth Fairy was picking his victims, I turned to my fiancee and said, "I'm getting a Polaroid"
                        "Dance until your feet hurt. Sing until your lungs hurt. Act until you're William Hurt." - Phil Dunphy ("Modern Family"), from Phil's-osophy.

Comment

Originally posted by Lemmy View Post
                          If you want to see a fun scary movie with kids, go see Insidious.
                          Really? I always thought it looked kinda evil. I don't know, we haven't really let our 10 yr old watch many scary movies yet so it might be a bit much for at first.

Comment

I saw The Shining (movie) when I was 14. The opening of the movie, the small Torrance car travelling across vast landscapes while the score booms it's single notes overwhelmed me and made me feel small and vulnerable to the terrors that lay ahead. The movie scared the crap outta me! 30 years later, it still fills me with dread and send chills up and down my spine whenever I watch it.

But "Ju-On," the japanese movie remade as "The Grudge" in the US is one of the freakiest I ever seen; I definitely can't watch it over and over again.
                            "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

We had a "family day" and took both the 17 yr old (wonderful to actually get to do something with him) and the 9 yr old to see it. My husband and I LOVED it. It felt like the movies from when we were little. The older son enjoyed it and kept looking for "Easter Eggs" and the younger son was a little scared a couple of times...but that's what makes it fun. I remember being the same way watching E.T. and Star Wars...Love me some S. S.

Comment

O.K. period there are three movies that scare me-more about the Zeitgeist which asks for them to exist The first is "Requiem For A Dream" -the all around wrong decisions and selfishness of ALL of "the characters" is just sickening-and it frightens me that Generation Y -Loves It So much. If you want to be depressed,distressed,annoyed,disgusted and just plain feel lost as "What it is to be a human being.

Comment

Working...
                                X