Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 98

Thread: Midnight Under The Big Top edited by Brian James Freeman

  1. #61
    Nothing to see here! Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    6,673
    Rep Power
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by swintek View Post
    Man, 999 is a true classic. Can't wait for this. I'm curious about the general.. "vibe" of this one, however. You had mentioned that it had a pulpy, Weird Tales-y feel to it? The key art and general info doesn't really scream that to me. Can you elaborate?
    By the end I no longer had that feel. That is probably another thing that brings 999 to mind. There really is a variety of story types. Early on I really had a Weird Tales vibe. The Malerman novella is pure horror. For me this book checked all the boxes. I am also really impressed that Brian was able to pull such a diverse and original group of tales that all had some sort of circus theme.

    I was really hoping to like more of this one than I disliked and I ended up liking every page I read.

    I also agree 999 is a true classic so I do not give the comparison lightly.

  2. #62
    Nothing to see here! Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    6,673
    Rep Power
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian James Freeman View Post
    Wow, thank you!

    Brian
    Thank You. I know a trade is at least a year away, if it happens. Any plans for an audio version? I would be on that in a heartbeat! Having these takes to listen to while I am driving would be beyond fantastic.

  3. #63
    Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    84
    Rep Power
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    By the end I no longer had that feel. That is probably another thing that brings 999 to mind. There really is a variety of story types. Early on I really had a Weird Tales vibe. The Malerman novella is pure horror. For me this book checked all the boxes. I am also really impressed that Brian was able to pull such a diverse and original group of tales that all had some sort of circus theme.

    I was really hoping to like more of this one than I disliked and I ended up liking every page I read.

    I also agree 999 is a true classic so I do not give the comparison lightly.
    Got it. Thanks for your thoughts.

  4. #64
    Child of the Corn 2nd Rubber Room Confinement Brian861's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    3,031
    Rep Power
    53
    Saw sneak peak of the lettered endpapers. Insane!

  5. #65
    Carrying the fire. 1st Electroshock Session jeffingoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois, United States
    Posts
    2,222
    Rep Power
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    So the Malerman novella was a great ending to a great collection. This was a five star read for me and I am glad I will have the limited on my shelf in the future. If some of the lettered were to come available I may even have to consider it. Big thanks to Brian for putting this together! For me this is up there with 999 in collections and that is high praise!
    Wow! That is fantastic. I'm really glad I jumped on this.

  6. #66
    Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session Sock Monkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,444
    Rep Power
    15
    Glad to read the positive review. I’m in on the limited and am now regretting not jumping on the lettered. Looking forward to reading this one!

  7. #67
    Nothing to see here! Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    6,673
    Rep Power
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    Saw sneak peak of the lettered endpapers. Insane!
    That image is rather epic.

  8. #68
    Junior Member Visitor
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    4
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian James Freeman View Post
    Anyone who missed out who really does still want one, even if you're waiting for a little more cash in your bank account, please just drop me a line. There are always cancellations. I'll make a list of who we need to make sure get offered any available copies. Thanks!

    Brian
    Brian, I'd LOVE a copy! I asked Mindy for one, but then realized I didn't have the cash. Then coronavirus broke out and I'm stuck at home. I emailed her again, but no luck. I'm screwed. I so badly want a copy. Is there no hope for more copies?

  9. #69
    Senior Member Get a Life, why don'tcha! bookworm 1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    UP State NY the real upstate north of Albany
    Posts
    7,045
    Rep Power
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricia View Post
    Brian, I'd LOVE a copy! I asked Mindy for one, but then realized I didn't have the cash. Then coronavirus broke out and I'm stuck at home. I emailed her again, but no luck. I'm screwed. I so badly want a copy. Is there no hope for more copies?
    Sometimes people cancel orders. There is always hope.

  10. #70
    Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    84
    Rep Power
    9
    This is of course a terrible time to ask this question right now, but- where is/was this in the publication queue? Seemed like it was imminent..? But, that was then..

  11. #71
    Administrator Ok, I really can't come up with anymore of these stupid things... Brian James Freeman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,002,752
    Rep Power
    2016
    Quote Originally Posted by swintek View Post
    This is of course a terrible time to ask this question right now, but- where is/was this in the publication queue? Seemed like it was imminent..? But, that was then..
    Already at the printer, and specifically the printer that has deemed their business to be essential to their state. So... still rolling for now!

    Brian
    Brian James Freeman
    brianfreeman@cemeterydance.com

    Cemetery Dance Publications: http://www.cemeterydance.com
    Lonely Road Books: http://www.lonelyroadbooks.com
    LetterPress Publications: http://www.LetterPressPublications.com
    My Writing: http://www.BrianJamesFreeman.com

  12. #72
    Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    84
    Rep Power
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian James Freeman View Post
    Already at the printer, and specifically the printer that has deemed their business to be essential to their state. So... still rolling for now!

    Brian
    Excellent! Thanks, Brian. Since you're here- what book are you announcing Monday?

  13. #73
    Nothing to see here! Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    6,673
    Rep Power
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricia View Post
    Brian, I'd LOVE a copy! I asked Mindy for one, but then realized I didn't have the cash. Then coronavirus broke out and I'm stuck at home. I emailed her again, but no luck. I'm screwed. I so badly want a copy. Is there no hope for more copies?
    I hope you are able to get a copy. It is a great read and I hope anyone who wants a copy can get their hands on one.

  14. #74
    Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    84
    Rep Power
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    I hope you are able to get a copy. It is a great read and I hope anyone who wants a copy can get their hands on one.
    With a little help- - I was able to secure a copy. I really look forward to it- mostly on your good words about it here!

  15. #75
    Nothing to see here! Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    6,673
    Rep Power
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by swintek View Post
    With a little help- - I was able to secure a copy. I really look forward to it- mostly on your good words about it here!
    Hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

  16. #76
    Better than rejuvenation! Inmate
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    284
    Rep Power
    4
    I kept forgetting to e-mail Mindy to be put on the waiting list, and that was probably for the best...Coronavirus has caused a severe crimp in the cash flow. I'm on a purchasing lockdown until things get back to normal and I get my hours back at work, provided that there is a job to go back to. I'll have to track down a copy on the secondary market at some point, or hope for digital.

  17. #77
    Nothing to see here! Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    6,673
    Rep Power
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy121070 View Post
    I kept forgetting to e-mail Mindy to be put on the waiting list, and that was probably for the best...Coronavirus has caused a severe crimp in the cash flow. I'm on a purchasing lockdown until things get back to normal and I get my hours back at work, provided that there is a job to go back to. I'll have to track down a copy on the secondary market at some point, or hope for digital.
    Hope things improve for you soon. I am really hoping for an audio book of this.

  18. #78
    Better than rejuvenation! Inmate
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    284
    Rep Power
    4
    Thanks, Martin. My wife and I both work in healthcare (Behind the scenes, not as providers), which you would think is a bulletproof business during a pandemic, but.....people are afraid to leave their homes, so routine medical visits are being cancelled left and right, non-essential surgeries are banned until after the outbreak subsides, even people with problems that need treatment are trying to just walk it off at home and hoping the issue goes away on its own. My hours have been drastically cut, and I don't qualify for unemployment because I work every day....the fact that it is HALF a day doesn't seem to matter. My wife, on the other hand, has had her salary cut, and is working 18 hour days to pick up the slack of the laid-off staff members, in hopes of making herself so valuable that they keep her on until this ends and people, hopefully, get hired back. If things stay as they are for a long time, or if one of us loses their job, we're screwed. In the short term, we're ok, just cutting back drastically. For now, I'm looking at the bright side, and trying to be grateful that I get to spend more time with my wonderful kids, who are really being rock stars and dealing with being confined to the house in a very mature manner.

    On a side note, you'd think this would be a great time for a bookworm like me, but I am finding it virtually impossible to stop worrying about money, dying, losing our home, etc, to concentrate on reading. I feel like Burgess Meredith when he broke his glasses, lol.

    Sorry to drone on.....I hope everyone is holding on and doing OK during these trying times.
    Last edited by dannyboy121070; 04-04-2020 at 06:52 PM.

  19. #79
    Nothing to see here! Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    6,673
    Rep Power
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy121070 View Post
    Thanks, Martin. My wife and I both work in healthcare (Behind the scenes, not as providers), which you would think is a bulletproof business during a pandemic, but.....people are afraid to leave their homes, so routine medical visits are being cancelled left and right, non-essential surgeries are banned until after the outbreak subsides, even people with problems that need treatment are trying to just walk it off at home and hoping the issue goes away on its own. My hours have been drastically cut, and I don't qualify for unemployment because I work every day....the fact that it is HALF a day doesn't seem to matter. My wife, on the other hand, has had her salary cut, and is working 18 hour days to pick up the slack of the laid-off staff members, in hopes of making herself so valuable that they keep her on until this ends and people, hopefully, get hired back. If things stay as they are for a long time, or if one of us loses their job, we're screwed. In the short term, we're ok, just cutting back drastically. For now, I'm looking at the bright side, and trying to be grateful that I get to spend more time with my wonderful kids, who are really being rock stars and dealing with being confined to the house in a very mature manner.

    On a side note, you'd think this would be a great time for a bookworm like me, but I am finding it virtually impossible to stop worrying about money, dying, losing our home, etc, to concentrate on reading. I feel liek Burgess Meredith when he broke his glasses, lol.

    Sorry to drone on.....I hope everyone is holding on and doing OK during these trying times.
    I think many people do not realize that while the medical system is in crisis with Covid-19 it is also experiencing a severs financial hit. I know someone who has early stage breast cancer and scheduled a double mastectomy. The hospital cancelled the surgery. Basically her cancer is too early to be life threatening so she is not being provided treatment at this time. The hospitals here are basically locked down for all but life saving treatment. Their profits come from all the routine activities that happen on a normal basis. I have been having to take someone to the hospital repeatedly through all of this and I have watched the change up close. At this point I, as the caregiver, am not even allowed in the hospital. I hand them off and leave, am called when they are done, and they bring them to the car. My consultations with the doctors are now done via the hospitals website, phone calls and video conferencing. On top of that millions of people have just lost their health insurance. Even if the hospitals were performing more non-lifesaving procedures, many people could not afford them anyway. I am not sure of how many people the local hospitals have laid off but I am sure it is significant and many medical offices around the hospital are now closed with telephone visits are being conducted instead. You simply do not need the full contingent of support staff for that. I wish you and your wife the best and I hope things begin to normalize soon.

  20. #80
    Better than rejuvenation! Inmate
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    284
    Rep Power
    4
    Thanks, Martin. My prayers, for what they're worth, are out there for the patient you're acting as caregiver for.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •