Thread: I gather there has been a cost increase shipping items?

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication c marvel's Avatar

Unhappy I gather there has been a cost increase shipping items?

It is not my intent to start a raucous discussion here or upset someone. However, that being said..
    Tonight, I decided I'd finally order one item. I got to the Shipping cost page and couldn't believe what I was seeing. UPS Ground $21.33, USPS Priority Mail $12.59, FedEx Home Delivery $21.18. I was shocked and dismayed to see these costs. Dan/Brian-When did this change in Shipping costs take effect?

Steve (AKA Cap)
    Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly Brian861's Avatar
    That's probably a pretty fair rate for priority. Not sure about the others as I don't have much experience with them. Was media mail not offered, Steve?

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement Ben Staad's Avatar
    Those sound in the neighborhood when I last shipped some things around the holidays. Media mail is much cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    That's probably a pretty fair rate for priority. Not sure about the others as I don't have much experience with them. Was media mail not offered, Steve?
    It was not offered since I was going to order a t-shirt. ~Steve

Administrator Ok, I really can't come up with anymore of these stupid things... Brian James Freeman's Avatar
    The rates displayed are pulled from UPS, USPS, and Fed-Ex automatically based on location, weight, and the type of item. (For example, Media Mail isn't offered if there's a non-book item in the shipment.) That doesn't mean there can't be glitches or other issues, though! Send me an email and let me know which item, and I'll poke around and see what's up. Thanks!

Best,
    Brian
    Brian James Freeman
    brianfreeman@cemeterydance.com

Cemetery Dance Publications: http://www.cemeterydance.com
    Lonely Road Books: http://www.lonelyroadbooks.com
    LetterPress Publications: http://www.LetterPressPublications.com
    My Writing: http://www.BrianJamesFreeman.com

Senior Member Inmate Marmaduke Grigsby's Avatar
    Yeah, I kind of wish there was a cheaper shipping option for the shirts, as Priority Mail adds a significant amount to the cost of the item, percentage-wise. I would think they could be shipped in a bag for $5.00 or less via USPS First Class Mail.

Administrator Totally Insane Dan Hocker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmaduke Grigsby View Post
    Yeah, I kind of wish there was a cheaper shipping option for the shirts, as Priority Mail adds a significant amount to the cost of the item, percentage-wise. I would think they could be shipped in a bag for $5.00 or less via USPS First Class Mail.
    Unfortunately there's really nothing cheaper for non book items. USPS removed the "parcel post" shipping method 5 or 6 years ago, which would have been cheaper depending where you lived, but now the cheapest option is Priority Mail. Unless you live in a major metropolitan area or within a one state range of us, then UPS or FedEx can come in around that $10 - $12 mark for a single shirt.

Honestly these prices are part of why we've moved shirt sales over to TeeSpring. Their shipping volumes are high enough that they can negotiate better rates with the shipping companies than we can.
    CD Email: danhocker@cemeterydance.com

Non-Work related social media and what not:
    Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement Ben Staad's Avatar
    LOL! I think I like your thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian James Freeman View Post
    The rates displayed are pulled from UPS, USPS, and Fed-Ex automatically based on location, weight, and the type of item. (For example, Media Mail isn't offered if there's a non-book item in the shipment.) That doesn't mean there can't be glitches or other issues, though! Send me an email and let me know which item, and I'll poke around and see what's up. Thanks!

Best,
    Brian

Honestly shipping costs in general have gone up drastically in the past 2 years. Especially in the international shipping department. It used to seem like a logical step up from 1 to 5lbs, but in the last couple of months the jump from a 3lbs international package to a 4lbs international package has skyrocketed. It's almost as cheap to send that same package via priority mail now instead of First Class international. Which is just absurd to me. As I understand it, it may jump even more later this year due to some international shipping agreements breaking down. Something about the US leaving a collective agreement in favor of negotiating with each country individually. I forget the details, but it's a mess.

Instagram

By the way we are digging into these prices though, as the non media mail stuff does seem high. We'll let you know if we come up with something.

Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by Brian James Freeman View Post

Best,
    Brian
    Brian-I have sent you an email. Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hocker View Post
    Honestly shipping costs in general have gone up drastically in the past 2 years. Especially in the international shipping department. It used to seem like a logical step up from 1 to 5lbs, but in the last couple of months the jump from a 3lbs international package to a 4lbs international package has skyrocketed. It's almost as cheap to send that same package via priority mail now instead of First Class international. Which is just absurd to me. As I understand it, it may jump even more later this year due to some international shipping agreements breaking down. Something about the US leaving a collective agreement in favor of negotiating with each country individually. I forget the details, but it's a mess.
    I do understand about shipping costs. Please pardon my grousing. ~Steve

Administrator Ok, I really can't come up with anymore of these stupid things... Brian James Freeman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by c marvel View Post
    Brian-I have sent you an email. Steve
    Got it, and we're investigating!
    Brian James Freeman
    brianfreeman@cemeterydance.com

Cemetery Dance Publications: http://www.cemeterydance.com
    Lonely Road Books: http://www.lonelyroadbooks.com
    LetterPress Publications: http://www.LetterPressPublications.com
    My Writing: http://www.BrianJamesFreeman.com

Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    Note: This is not book related--When I have shipped material items, no books, to my niece for her twin daughters, each time it has cost me approx. $13 or $14 to mail. I may be done sending my niece any material items because of the high cost of USPS postage.

Steve

Senior Member Hearing Voices
    Quote Originally Posted by c marvel View Post
    Note: This is not book related--When I have shipped material items, no books, to my niece for her twin daughters, each time it has cost me approx. $13 or $14 to mail. I may be done sending my niece any material items because of the high cost of USPS postage.

Steve
    I told my family in Ireland that I wasn't shipping anything over for Christmas any more. The shipping costs had gotten out of control. It's easier for me to order a gift certificate to a nice restaurant and have it sent to them. If I want to order any other goods, they come from Amazon UK now.

Senior Member Inmate Marmaduke Grigsby's Avatar
    It all depends on the weight of the package. If it is under 1 lb. (like a shirt) it should be able to be sent via USPS First Class to anywhere in the continental US for $5 or less.

Quote Originally Posted by Marmaduke Grigsby View Post
    It all depends on the weight of the package. If it is under 1 lb. (like a shirt) it should be able to be sent via USPS First Class to anywhere in the continental US for $5 or less.
    First Class is actually 12 oz and under. In my experience only medium and small shirts fall into that weight category for us, once you include packaging.

Instagram

Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly Brian861's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hocker View Post
    First Class is actually 12 oz and under. In my experience only medium and small shirts fall into that weight category for us, once you include packaging.
    I believe we have Ted Kaczynski to thank for that.