Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hope and Miracles: “The Shawshank Redemption” and “The Green Mile” from Gauntlet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hope and Miracles: “The Shawshank Redemption” and “The Green Mile” from Gauntlet

I thought we already had a post about this but I an unable to find it:

From Gauntlet Press website:
    Set for Publication Summer 2020
    In commemoration of the 25th Anniversary of Frank Darabont’s classic film, “The Shawshank Redemption,” as well as the 20th Anniversary of Darabont’s next film, “The Green Mile,” Gauntlet Press is proud to announce the publication of Hope and Miracles: “The Shawshank Redemption” and “The Green Mile” (Two Screenplays by Frank Darabont). The book is edited by noted Stephen King authority Tyson Blue.
    Available in both signed limited and traycased lettered editions, Hope and Miracles will include:
    — Frank Darabont’s screenplays for both films
    — A new Introduction by Richard Christian Matheson
    — Introductions to each film by Darabont and Stephen King
    — Behind-the-scenes photographs and storyboards
    — Cast and Crew listings for both films
    — A profile of the late Michael Clarke Duncan
    — Essays on both films by Darabont and Tyson Blue
    — Reflective essays and interviews by noted directors Josh Boone, Mick Garris, Gregory Nicotero and James Cole
    Added to this, Frank Darabont has gone through his personal archives, allowing us to include photographs never before released.
    All editions are signed by Frank Darabont and Tyson Blue. The traycased lettered edition is signed by Frank Darabont, Tyson Blue, Richard Christian Matheson, Josh Boone, Mick Garris, Gregory Nicotero, and James Cole.
    We’ll update you on additions as we learn about them. We’re going to consult with our traycase maker to come up with something truly unique (the book will be in an 8 x 10 format).

$199 Limited (500)
    $999 Lettered (52)

https://www.gauntletpress.com/produc...rank-darabont/

I'll pass. Love both movies but I don't care for screenplays as much. And as has been said before the quality of some recent Gauntlet Titles hasn't been that spectacular.

Comment

Originally posted by bookworm 1 View Post
      I'll pass. Love both movies but I don't care for screenplays as much.
      Ditto. Plus, I already have Darabont's signature in one of his auction catalogs. At that price ($199 for the limited) I'm definitely going to pass on this one.

Comment

This was an easy buy for me. Then the CDCC came and took another large chunk of my book budget. I am hoping for only things I can pass on for a while!
        Last edited by Martin; 01-05-2020, 08:42 PM.

Comment

In my estimation, both of these movies are the best King adaptations hands down. Shawshank is a modern classic and The Green Mile should get a lot more love than I think it does. That being said, the prices for these are just too high, especially that lettered. I'm just wary if the book would match up to the price point, especially the lettered edition.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
            In my estimation, both of these movies are the best King adaptations hands down. Shawshank is a modern classic and The Green Mile should get a lot more love than I think it does. That being said, the prices for these are just too high, especially that lettered. I'm just wary if the book would match up to the price point, especially the lettered edition.
            While I enjoyed Green Mile, I always thought Shawshank and Stand by Me (The Body) were the best adaptations. I felt the use of a narrator helped to incorporate more of kings actual writing into the screenplay and really helped character development that feels lacking in other adaptations. That said, I have not pulled the trigger on this title. There are just so many great choices and only so much funds. Keeping it on the back burner for now.

Comment

I had a book show up in my Informed Delivery as a 'Label Created' from Colorado back on January 13th. Was stumped until today when I realized this must be Hope and Miracles. Hopefully this will live up to my lofty expectations.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                I had a book show up in my Informed Delivery as a 'Label Created' from Colorado back on January 13th. Was stumped until today when I realized this must be Hope and Miracles. Hopefully this will live up to my lofty expectations.
                Yes, let us know what you think of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave1442397 View Post

Yes, let us know what you think of it.
                  I have been very curious about this one as well. It was somewhat pricey, as I recall. Here's hoping that the quality lives up to your expectations.

Comment

Received my copy today. Have only had a chance to glance through it so far. I will give my initial thoughts.
                    The foil stamped cloth boards are beautiful. Then end papers are also beautiful. The paper stock feels like trade paper stock, not what you would expect in a $200 book. The contents beyond the screenplays are what sold me on the book originally and they look like they will exceed my expectations. It is previously published and new materials collected. The Frank Darabont essay on why some things were changed in Shawshank looks like it will be fantastic. The story boards look cool. There is a ton of content. The book ended up at 466 pages with about 250 being the screenplays. No obvious typos but I have net begun reading the contents yet. Was it overpriced at $200. It was worth it to me but I have no idea if it will be $20 or $200 in a year. I will get some pictures up in my collection thread soon.

Comment

Sounds like an interesting book. Wasn't for me at that price point but still sounds fairly cool. Congrats.

Received my copy today. Have only had a chance to glance through it so far. I will give my initial thoughts.
                      The foil stamped cloth boards are beautiful. Then end papers are also beautiful. The paper stock feels like trade paper stock, not what you would expect in a $200 book. The contents beyond the screenplays are what sold me on the book originally and they look like they will exceed my expectations. It is previously published and new materials collected. The Frank Darabont essay on why some things were changed in Shawshank looks like it will be fantastic. The story boards look cool. There is a ton of content. The book ended up at 466 pages with about 250 being the screenplays. No obvious typos but I have net begun reading the contents yet. Was it overpriced at $200. It was worth it to me but I have no idea if it will be $20 or $200 in a year. I will get some pictures up in my collection thread soon.
                      Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
                        Sounds like an interesting book. Wasn't for me at that price point but still sounds fairly cool. Congrats.

I can't argue with your assessment. In reviewing the book last night I came to the opinion that it is a $50 book and I paid the additional $150 for the content. I really want the content and am comfortable with the price I paid for it. I am guessing this one will be available from the publisher for a while.

Comment

At the end of the day the content of the book is always the most important thing. Glad you can enjoy it.

I can't argue with your assessment. In reviewing the book last night I came to the opinion that it is a $50 book and I paid the additional $150 for the content. I really want the content and am comfortable with the price I paid for it. I am guessing this one will be available from the publisher for a while.
                          Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Working...
                          X