The Outsider Series on HBO:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Outsider Series on HBO:

The trailer is out for the upcoming series based on The Outsider.

Looks like it will premiere January 12, 2020 and run 10 episodes.

I generally don't watch much television but the wife and I are both enjoying this so far. But I have to admit that neither of us has read the book.

Comment

Originally posted by One eyed cat View Post
      I generally don't watch much television but the wife and I are both enjoying this so far. But I have to admit that neither of us has read the book.
      I watched the first two episodes and am really enjoying it. It is a good book but the first 2/3 of the book were far better than the conclusion. I am interested in seeing how they handle the story when it goes off the rails. So far it is pretty true to the source material.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
        I watched the first two episodes and am really enjoying it. It is a good book but the first 2/3 of the book were far better than the conclusion. I am interested in seeing how they handle the story when it goes off the rails. So far it is pretty true to the source material.
        Again, I agree with Martin here as far as the book. The show remains unwatched on my DVR. You guys have a TBR pile, I have a TBV pile

Comment

Four episodes in and I really like it. There is a slow deliberate pace to the show, one which I am really enjoying. Ben Mendelsohn is giving one heck of performance. Ratings keep improving for the show with the last episode being up 36% from the premiere episode. While ratings don't mean that much since it's on HBO and it's not like the show would be canceled before it wrapped up series, it's good to see people jump on this train.

Comment

Surprised there isn't much talk on the forum about this series. I liked the book a lot and enjoyed the first two episodes of the series. I have to admit that i am loosing interest in the series after 6 episodes.

Comment

Originally posted by fanatic View Post
              Surprised there isn't much talk on the forum about this series. I liked the book a lot and enjoyed the first two episodes of the series. I have to admit that i am loosing interest in the series after 6 episodes.
              I think I got three episodes in before life got in the way. It was pretty good up to that point. As I said before I am not sure how they will handle when the story goes off the rails. Not sure when I will have time to get back to it.

Comment

Originally posted by fanatic View Post
                I believe I'm only one episode behind and I'm enjoying it a lot more than the book.

Comment

I am really digging "The Outsider" am damned glad when I dropped several Charter premiums ( in an attempt to lower the bill from one thirty seven a month just to have the pleasure of viewing nothing but the true antichrist: commercials ), I kept HBO. I cannot see why Charter has issues with hooking me up only during the college football/basketball months then cutting me off, reinstating my account the following seasons but I guess I was being a tad nitpicky.
                  Just finished up episode 4 and am more intrigued, hooked than ever.
                  Very cool, original series with a stout, able-bodied cast.
                  Recommended.
                  Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
                    I believe I'm only one episode behind and I'm enjoying it a lot more than the book.
                    Glad to hear, hopefully I will continue to enjoy the show!

Comment

I’m really digging the show as well. I thought episode five treaded water a bit, but that’s to be expected from the middle episodes. I’m debating on waiting a bit and then binging the last five episodes. Maybe episodes 6-8 together then 9 and 10.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
                        I’m really digging the show as well. I thought episode five treaded water a bit, but that’s to be expected from the middle episodes. I’m debating on waiting a bit and then binging the last five episodes. Maybe episodes 6-8 together then 9 and 10.
                        Like Martin stated earlier, hopefully they have done something better with the ending.

Comment

Okay, so the series wrapped up last night. I'm not sure if everyone is up to speed so after I give some generic thoughts, I'm going to go a little more specific in a spoiler tag.

Overall, I liked the series, though as the mystery was resolved about what was going on and shifted towards more to a "how do we stop this" plot line, I felt the show lost a little momentum. In hindsight, some of the issues were pacing-related and wished the show had picked up a little more speed towards its resolution. The acting was fantastic and found myself caring more for the well-being of the characters than I thought I would have.

Now more specifics:
                          Spoiler!

Would I watch a second season? Maybe. Depends on the focus. I don't need a new X-Files with Holly and Ralph tracking down vampires and ghosts.

Comment

I remain stuck at three episodes. Life currently has other plans for me and I have not watched TV in about a month. When I have time I will watch the remaining episodes of Locke & Key and the then this.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                              I remain stuck at three episodes. Life currently has other plans for me and I have not watched TV in about a month. When I have time I will watch the remaining episodes of Locke & Key and the then this.
                              I think the show would work better binged rather than week to week. While the pacing of the show is deliberate, I think that week wait between each episode only amplified it. Looking forward to your thoughts once you get around to it.

Comment

Working...
                              X