WTB: Scalzi’s OLD MAN’S WAR, Subterranean S/L HC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WTB: Scalzi’s OLD MAN’S WAR, Subterranean S/L HC

I’ve decided to hop aboard the John Scalzi train with the one...anyone have a copy they’d like to sell?
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Ron, I pieced together a set, but it took a number of years and a couple of them have minor imperfections. The prices on the first two or three are pretty insane. Good luck on your quest!
    20191205_104401.jpg

Comment

Thanks, Mike…that’s a lovely set, congrats on completing it. I’m probably hopping on board the train a little too late to make this venture economically feasible, but I thought I’d at least give it a shot. We’ll see what happens.

Comment

Best of luck Ron. I have checked them out and found these titles to be cost prohibitive for me. It is a great series though. Netflix owns the rights. If they get this one out it may drive prices higher, so now may be a good time to jump in.

Comment

I think my problem is that I’m often a little too quick to dismiss the science-fiction offerings from Subterranean Press and others. I’m not a big fan of the genre but there are some works and elements of it in general that I do enjoy. While thumbing through a copy of OLD MAN’S WAR yesterday, I found that it had heart, humor, action, issues of morality without taking itself too seriously...all the things that make a SF piece work for me.

I need to stop having such a knee-jerk reaction to modern sci-fi, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
            I think my problem is that I’m often a little too quick to dismiss the science-fiction offerings from Subterranean Press and others. I’m not a big fan of the genre but there are some works and elements of it in general that I do enjoy. While thumbing through a copy of OLD MAN’S WAR yesterday, I found that it had heart, humor, action, issues of morality without taking itself too seriously...all the things that make a SF piece work for me.

I need to stop having such a knee-jerk reaction to modern sci-fi, I think.
            Over the last three years I have devoured everything Scalzi has written. I have never really cared from SF but love Scalzi's work. I have tried other SF hoping to find more I like. I have some to the conclusion that I like Scalzi, not SF.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
              Over the last three years I have devoured everything Scalzi has written. I have never really cared from SF but love Scalzi's work. I have tried other SF hoping to find more I like. I have some to the conclusion that I like Scalzi, not SF.
              That's good to hear. That's kind of the vibe I've received from reading some of his columns (collected by Sub Press) and AGENT TO THE STARS. I thought OLD MAN'S WAR was too hard a sci-fi flavor for me, but yesterday's browsing through a copy suggested that's not the case at all.

Comment

That's good to hear. That's kind of the vibe I've received from reading some of his columns (collected by Sub Press) and AGENT TO THE STARS. I thought OLD MAN'S WAR was too hard a sci-fi flavor for me, but yesterday's browsing through a copy suggested that's not the case at all.
                I really enjoyed the Old Man's War series. I really engaged with the characters and the books continued to address their lives. It occasionally went off the rails but overall is a great series. Agent to the Stars was a fun read. I really enjoy the fact he takes premises in completely different directions than I expect them to go. He is great at writing dialog which helps me identify with his characters. I did not really care for God's Engines or Miniatures. The rest of his books have been fun reads. That is from someone who just can't get into SF from other authors.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                  I really enjoyed the Old Man's War series. I really engaged with the characters and the books continued to address their lives. It occasionally went off the rails but overall is a great series. Agent to the Stars was a fun read. I really enjoy the fact he takes premises in completely different directions than I expect them to go. He is great at writing dialog which helps me identify with his characters. I did not really care for God's Engines or Miniatures. The rest of his books have been fun reads. That is from someone who just can't get into SF from other authors.
                  I also love Scalzi and have managed to collect all of his trades as well as the Subterraneans. I got a good deal on the first four matching OMWs from someone on this very forum. A good deal but by no means cheap. I emailed Bill at SubPress a while ago but apparently there are no plans for The End of All Things.
                  I haven't yet read the new Space Opera or the Head On/Lock In set. I loved Redshirts and The Androids Dream. Not so much The God Engines or Miniatures. I enjoy dipping into his Whatever collections from time to time.

I know this doesn't help you Ron, because I am hanging on to mine.
                  20191206_182556.jpg
                  Last edited by HumphreyBear; 12-06-2019, 07:48 AM. Reason: Added Photo

Comment

No, End of All Things? That is absolutely crazy talk, why not finish the series??

Comment

That's Bill's default answer for anything that hasn't been announced. Which in and of itself doesn't mean there will be an announcement, but it also doesn't mean there's not stuff going on behind the scenes.

Comment

Originally posted by HumphreyBear View Post
                        I also love Scalzi and have managed to collect all of his trades as well as the Subterraneans.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21828[/ATTACH]
                        No sweat, between your picture and Mike’s, I can see the goal to work toward. :-)

Good to hear there are so many fans of his on this board, it gives me reassurance that my initial vibe about him was correct.

Comment

Originally posted by HumphreyBear View Post
                          I also love Scalzi and have managed to collect all of his trades as well as the Subterraneans. I got a good deal on the first four matching OMWs from someone on this very forum. A good deal but by no means cheap. I emailed Bill at SubPress a while ago but apparently there are no plans for The End of All Things.
                          I haven't yet read the new Space Opera or the Head On/Lock In set. I loved Redshirts and The Androids Dream. Not so much The God Engines or Miniatures. I enjoy dipping into his Whatever collections from time to time.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21828[/ATTACH]
                          Your taste in Scalzi basically mimics that of my own. I really was skeptical about both Redshirts but loved them both. I did not realize Bill has not published an edition of The End of All Things. That seams odd to me since he has published stories that came after that one.

Comment

I just picked up a 1st ed. HC, 2nd printing trade HC (no remainder mark as is common, apparently) of OLD MAN’S WAR in Fine/Fine condition and at a very nice price. Figured I should read the thing and make sure I like it before spending the big money on the Sub Press S/L edition.

Comment

I just picked up a 1st ed. HC, 2nd printing trade HC (no remainder mark as is common, apparently) of OLD MAN’S WAR in Fine/Fine condition and at a very nice price. Figured I should read the thing and make sure I like it before spending the big money on the Sub Press S/L edition.
                              You won't be disappointed! Just a heads up, The series takes a surprising and extremely interesting turn with The Human Division. It was really neat and well done!

Comment

Working...
                              X