Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WTB: Scalziís OLD MANíS WAR, Subterranean S/L HC

Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? Martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RonClinton View Post
    Made it today’s Daily Showcase Book on Twitter...pictures here:

https://twitter.com/ron_clinton/stat...039638016?s=21
    I hope you enjoy the story!

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement mhatchett's Avatar
    Excellent Ron!

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Thanks, so do I…it’ll probably be the next book I read, as I’m kind of in the mood for something a bit different.

I started it a few nights ago and am really digging it...I'm about at the halfway mark.

Can you -- or Mike or HumphreyBear, or whoever else may have read the OMW series -- tell me if this type of tone continues throughout the series? To be honest, I'm not a big sci-fi fan -- especially hard and/or military sci-fi, as many reviews purport the OMW series to be -- but Scalzi's use of humor and pathos and keen characterization make this novel much more of the sci-fi that I do enjoy, one that focuses on relatable humanity rather than complex ideas and world-building.

I started it a few nights ago and am really digging it...I'm about at the halfway mark.

Can you -- or Mike or HumphreyBear, or whoever else may have read the OMW series -- tell me if this type of tone continues throughout the series? To be honest, I'm not a big sci-fi fan -- especially hard and/or military sci-fi, as many reviews purport the OMW series to be -- but Scalzi's use of humor and pathos and keen characterization make this novel much more of the sci-fi that I do enjoy, one that focuses on relatable humanity rather than complex ideas and world-building.
    Ron, I felt the series stayed strong all the way through. In a way, no spoiler, it got more interesting in books 5 & 6, The Human Division and the End of all Things, with the reintroduction of a character and a slight story arc change. I agree, the best writing, Science fiction, whatever, is about people and ideas. I hope you enjoy the rest of the series as much as I did.
    Mike

Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? Martin's Avatar
    I generally agree with Mike. I would add that Zoe's Tale and The Sagan Diary are different. Scalzi's use of humor and great dialog is strong in all his novels.

Good to hear, guys, thanks. Interestingly, I watched a couple interviews with Scalzi last night, and in one of them, he talked about how he intentionally writes his science fiction to be readable and accessible, I think he called it a “gateway to the genre,” so that readers interested in exploring science fiction but not particularly familiar with it wouldn’t get too overwhelmed in their early outing. While that’s not me, since I’ve read quite a bit of science fiction, enough to know that I don’t typically care for most of it, but that style works very well for what I am seeking in the genre.

Sometime the will is weak and the obsession strong...and sometimes, you know, sometimes that's okay. It takes a pretty special reading experience for me to throw caution to the wind and buy all the signed/limiteds to plunge headfirst into a series. So excited and pleased to have this Old Man's War series S/L set...given that I've only read the first volume, I have some great reading ahead of me in these exquisite, handsome volumes:

OMW.jpg

Sometime the will is weak and the obsession strong...and sometimes, you know, sometimes that's okay. It takes a pretty special reading experience for me to throw caution to the wind and buy all the signed/limiteds to plunge headfirst into a series. So excited and pleased to have this Old Man's War series S/L set...given that I've only read the first volume, I have some great reading ahead of me in these exquisite, handsome volumes:

OMW.jpg
    Wow, I am very jealous! Both for the fact you have the limited set and that you still get to experience the stories for the first time. You have some great reading ahead.

Thanks, Martin. To say I'm excited to both own and read this series in the Sub Press limited format would be quite the understatement.

And, Jeff, this six-book set would have made quite the unboxing (damn box was huge, as the seller packed well!).

Excellent!!

Thanks, Martin. To say I'm excited to both own and read this series in the Sub Press limited format would be quite the understatement.

And, Jeff, this six-book set would have made quite the unboxing (damn box was huge, as the seller packed well!).
    Just to warn you. John Scalzi is addicting. I first read Scalzi in late 2017. I am now impatiently awaiting book three in the Interdependency series, having read everything else already.

Just to warn you. John Scalzi is addicting. I first read Scalzi in late 2017. I am now impatiently awaiting book three in the Interdependency series, having read everything else already.
    I have AGENT TO THE STARS in mmpb waiting in my TBR pile when I finish the OMW series...good to hear just about anything by him is a safe, entertaining bet, as I’m sure I’ll be dipping into that Scalzi well again and again.

I have AGENT TO THE STARS in mmpb waiting in my TBR pile when I finish the OMW series...good to hear just about anything by him is a safe, entertaining bet, as I’m sure I’ll be dipping into that Scalzi well again and again.
    I am not even sure what I was expecting from Agent To The Stars but I was completely surprised how the story unfolded. Fun read! I get the feeling I will be re-reading some Scalzi soon.

Have read five of the six books, starting the last one, THE HUMAN DIVISION, tonight. Still need to pick up THE END OF ALL THINGS in the trade (and only) edition. I’m going to miss being submerged in this world.

Have read five of the six books, starting the last one, THE HUMAN DIVISION, tonight. Still need to pick up THE END OF ALL THINGS in the trade (and only) edition. I’m going to miss being submerged in this world.
    I know what you mean. Move on to The Interdependency series. The third book comes out this year. It is another great ride as are most of his other books. Scalzi ROCKS!!!
    Last edited by Martin; 02-18-2020 at 01:55 AM.

I'm just going to throw this out there, if you like Scalzi, try Neal Asher's Prador Moon.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1060548.Prador_Moon

Quote Originally Posted by mhatchett View Post
    I'm just going to throw this out there, if you like Scalzi, try Neal Asher's Prador Moon.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1060548.Prador_Moon
    That is all I need to hear, I am in! Thanks for the suggestion, I will let you know what I think!

I know what you mean. Move on to The Interdependency series. The third book comes out this year. It is another great ride as are most of his other books. Scalzi ROCKS!!!
    Good to hear...I was starting to look at his other series, and the Interdependency series of course popped up. I wasn’t sure about it, though, so am glad to hear it’s another winner. LOCK IN looked good as well. A S/L HC of THE DISPATCHER is arriving tomorrow.

Good to hear...I was starting to look at his other series, and the Interdependency series of course popped up. I wasn’t sure about it, though, so am glad to hear it’s another winner. LOCK IN looked good as well. A S/L HC of THE DISPATCHER is arriving tomorrow.
    Lock In is good but is not as good as Old Man's War. I think the Interdependency Series has a lot that anyone who likes Old Man's War will like. The Dispatcher is fantastic. It is such a creative tale!