Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Old CD Titles

Administrator Totally Insane Dan Hocker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bsaenz24 View Post
    I would LOVE to see collected volumes of the Novella Series starting at the beginning. Maybe 2 or 3 per volume.
    That would be cool, though probably not ideal for what I am working on. I don't really want to share too many details because I'm still in the brainstorming phase.
    CD Email: danhocker@cemeterydance.com

Non-Work related social media and what not:
    Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? Martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hocker View Post
    Story. I have an idea for a "line of books" that would involve reprints of older titles / fan favorites type of thing. Don't know if it'll come to fruition, or if we can even get rights to anything. I'm just trying to get an idea of what titles people would be interested in inexpensive (essentially trade) editions of.
    Well, if that is your line of thinking I will need to look at some of the older titles I missed out on and mention them. Two that come to mind off the top of my head are The Wilds and Night In The Lonesome October, both by Richard Laymon. I love the concept and would really enjoy seeing some of the older titles in an updated series.

Junior Member Visitor
    Two I really liked were Darkness Demands and Second Chance.

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication
    Another vote for Live Girls.

We're emailing out that survey now.

Instagram

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement mhatchett's Avatar
    Done! What do I win LOL!!

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement jeffingoff's Avatar
    We're emailing out that survey now.
    Yeah, I saw it and clicked on it and was ready to answer but I really couldn't answer. I don't think there are any old editions I'd like to see new editions of. Mainly because I'd like to see new books more. Apart from a few Lansdales, I haven't been on the lookout for past editions.

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed Marmaduke Grigsby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post
    Yeah, I saw it and clicked on it and was ready to answer but I really couldn't answer.
    I did the same thing. I am still relatively new to CD so I'm not familiar enough with the older publications. I saw a couple people had mentioned LIVE GIRLS, a book that I re-read recently and loved as much as the first time I read it back in the 1980s. I didn't even know that CD had published a version of it.

The only other older CD book I have read is THE MOUNTAIN KING by Rick Hautala which I enjoyed a lot also.

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    If I can throw in a quick Devil's Advocate thought...

If the thought is to reprint previous CD titles in tpb, I do have to wonder if it might be economically difficult to make a line of tpbs work for this reason: For whatever reason and *generally speaking*, I don't think it's a secret (though it certainly is puzzling) that CD titles do not hold their collectible value well on the aftermarket. Search "Cemetery Dance signed" on eBay and it's apparent that many titles are readily available and run $15 to $25, one-third to one-half their original cover price, and even at that I tend to see those same auctions stagnate unsold.

That said, I wonder then who the customer is who would buy a new tpb reprint that is presumably priced at $14.95 to $19.95 when that customer could instead pick up that same book in signed/limited hardcover off eBay, et al for basically the same price. I certainly think a $9.95 pb reprint series would work well (though I suspect such pricing is not feasible for smaller reprint runs), but once the price for the tpbs starts inching up to the cost that better, more premium HC copies are being offered at on the aftermarket, I have to imagine it's going to be a tough sell.

That (also) said, I'd then suggest that the titles to be reprinted be those that have comparatively held their value better than others and are thus more scarce and expensive on the aftermarket. To be frank, I don't know that those are as I haven't kept abreast of the values of my CD books...maybe F. Paul Wilson's expanded MIDNIGHT MASS? Maybe the early novel by Norman Partridge, SLIPPIN' INTO DARKNESS? It'd probably take some cross-referencing of titles on eBay with eBay's real-world values (not ABE or Biblio where the sellers are often rather optimistic), but I think that kind of prep research would be invaluable in ensuring the titles selected for tpb reprint are those with a demand that won't be eclipsed by what's already available to the buyer at the same price in S/L HC.

Those're my two-cent thoughts.

Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? Martin's Avatar
    I went with older titles that I have not yet read but would like to.

I will say this isn't about paperbacks. Kinda a unique line. It's an idea I had that isn't really being done by anyone else in the small press world. The idea is for cheap editions that are kinda a "novelty" item. As far as "holding value" to be honest no ones editions do unless the books are by a handful of specific authors. That said this isn't really about collect-ability of the older titles. I don't really want to get into details since nothing is set in stone. If we move forward with it you'll see and I think people will be fairly interested in it.

Instagram

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement jeffingoff's Avatar
    I will say this isn't about paperbacks. Kinda a unique line. It's an idea I had that isn't really being done by anyone else in the small press world. The idea is for cheap editions that are kinda a "novelty" item. As far as "holding value" to be honest no ones editions do unless the books are by a handful of specific authors. That said this isn't really about collect-ability of the older titles. I don't really want to get into details since nothing is set in stone. If we move forward with it you'll see and I think people will be fairly interested in it.
    Hmmm. Sounds interesting. Kinda sounds like a CD series of Little Books. I'd be excited for that. And just because I'm not actively looking for older CD editions, doesn't mean I wouldn't be interested in this line.

The ones I listed are all titles I want to read, but do not have.

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication
    Quote Originally Posted by RonClinton View Post
    If I can throw in a quick Devil's Advocate thought...

If the thought is to reprint previous CD titles in tpb, I do have to wonder if it might be economically difficult to make a line of tpbs work for this reason: For whatever reason and *generally speaking*, I don't think it's a secret (though it certainly is puzzling) that CD titles do not hold their collectible value well on the aftermarket. Search "Cemetery Dance signed" on eBay and it's apparent that many titles are readily available and run $15 to $25, one-third to one-half their original cover price, and even at that I tend to see those same auctions stagnate unsold.

That said, I wonder then who the customer is who would buy a new tpb reprint that is presumably priced at $14.95 to $19.95 when that customer could instead pick up that same book in signed/limited hardcover off eBay, et al for basically the same price. I certainly think a $9.95 pb reprint series would work well (though I suspect such pricing is not feasible for smaller reprint runs), but once the price for the tpbs starts inching up to the cost that better, more premium HC copies are being offered at on the aftermarket, I have to imagine it's going to be a tough sell.

That (also) said, I'd then suggest that the titles to be reprinted be those that have comparatively held their value better than others and are thus more scarce and expensive on the aftermarket. To be frank, I don't know that those are as I haven't kept abreast of the values of my CD books...maybe F. Paul Wilson's expanded MIDNIGHT MASS? Maybe the early novel by Norman Partridge, SLIPPIN' INTO DARKNESS? It'd probably take some cross-referencing of titles on eBay with eBay's real-world values (not ABE or Biblio where the sellers are often rather optimistic), but I think that kind of prep research would be invaluable in ensuring the titles selected for tpb reprint are those with a demand that won't be eclipsed by what's already available to the buyer at the same price in S/L HC.

Those're my two-cent thoughts.
    I don't necessarily disagree with the spirit of this post, but I feel it should be pointed out that the a whole lot of older, OOP CD titles are already available in affordable paperback editions. Take my own recommendation, Live Girls. It's an older CD edition that has held it's value very well (for the most part), but if you just want to read the book, eBook and paperback copies are readily available. I suspect you'll find this is the case for most any book that gets a recommendation, regardless of whether or not the CD edition has held value.

That said, both our points are moot as Dan's pretty clear that it's not a paperback line .

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement

That said, both our points are moot as Dan's pretty clear that it's not a paperback line .
    That they are. :-D. I’m curious to see what the project is all about.

Quote Originally Posted by RonClinton View Post
    That they are. :-D. I’m curious to see what the project is all about.
    It's an audiobook line. The stories are being read by Dan while he is packaging other books for shipping. You will just need to excuse the background noises.

Member Part-timer
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    It's an audiobook line. The stories are being read by Dan while he is packaging other books for shipping. You will just need to excuse the background noises.
    To be perfectly honest, I would rather see the books we've been waiting for (in some cases years, like "Turn Down the Lights" 6 years) to be published before another project started.

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post
    Yeah, I saw it and clicked on it and was ready to answer but I really couldn't answer. I don't think there are any old editions I'd like to see new editions of. Mainly because I'd like to see new books more. Apart from a few Lansdales, I haven't been on the lookout for past editions.
    This is EXACTLY what I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by pumpheel View Post
    To be perfectly honest, I would rather see the books we've been waiting for (in some cases years, like "Turn Down the Lights" 6 years) to be published before another project started.
    I understand your sentiment here, but new projects don't really put old projects on hold. Or really slow down the process on those things. Usually when something has taken that long, it's typically due to some other unforeseen complication in the process.

Instagram

Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly Brian861's Avatar
    I love series of things even if I necessarily won't read them. CD's Signature Series, Novella Series, Graveyard Editions, etc. Although the Select Series and Gold Seal series have yet to make it off the ground. Borderlands Little Book series and so on. I'd be down if they are reasonably priced.