Thread: The Dismembered by Jonathan Janz:

Senior Member Lobotomized Martin's Avatar

The Dismembered by Jonathan Janz:

So Jonathan Janz Tweeted 'Now that the cat is out of the bag, here you go, folks. Coming from @CemeteryDance with artwork from @matthew_revert
    : THE DISMEMBERED.'

Dismembered.jpg

I did not even know that there was a cat in the bag!

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    I saw that as well on Twitter. I wonder if it's going to be a volume in the Novella series or...?

EDIT: Ooo, looks like I just hit an even 1500 posts...love even-number milestones like that. :-)

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement jeffingoff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RonClinton View Post
    I saw that as well on Twitter. I wonder if it's going to be a volume in the Novella series or...?

EDIT: Ooo, looks like I just hit an even 1500 posts...love even-number milestones like that. :-)
    And Martin's post before yours was 5757!

LOVE this cover!

I hope it's part of either the Forthcoming Grab Bag 2018 OR the Cemetery Dance Book Club 8.

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement Ben Staad's Avatar
    Love the cover as well. Looks great.

I've only read one book from the author but I did enjoy it. The book was Children of the Dark.

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session bsaenz24's Avatar
    And looks like it's 75 cents too!! What a bargain!

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement jeffingoff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bsaenz24 View Post
    And looks like it's 75 cents too!! What a bargain!
    I noticed that as well and I'm concerned that CD is going to lose money on this one. But who am I, a bean counter?? Just make with the books!

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement Ben Staad's Avatar
    I am in for that price. Please post the link.

Senior Member Lobotomized Martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Staad View Post
    Love the cover as well. Looks great.

I've only read one book from the author but I did enjoy it. The book was Children of the Dark.
    I was offered a free digital copy of his first novel, The Sorrows. It was a good story but it did feel like an author trying to find his voice. I have always intended to circle back and try a latter book of his. This may be my chance.

Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? bookworm 1's Avatar
    UP State NY the real upstate north of Albany
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    I was offered a free digital copy of his first novel, The Sorrows. It was a good story but it did feel like an author trying to find his voice. I have always intended to circle back and try a latter book of his. This may be my chance.
    Janzs is a super writer . I’ve read several of his books and I have not been disappointed . As with most writers some of his stories are definitely stronger than others but he is a fun read. He has a bunch of books available through FlameTree press if anyone is interested in checking out his work

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session Sock Monkey's Avatar
    I'm also digging the cover and am looking forward to this one. I've yet to read anything by Janz and that needs to be corrected.

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed
    Have also never read anything from this author. Have seen the name bandied about with mentions of his stuff being good, but never anything more specific than that. I did previously see that a lot of his work is being rereleased; so, I'm assuming there must be a strong demand for it. If anyone has read this author, what is the book that broke this author out; or, where would you recommend starting? From the description of this book, it sounds like historical horror and, from what I can gather, not the usual type of story from this author.

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    Quote Originally Posted by sholloman81 View Post
    Have also never read anything from this author. Have seen the name bandied about with mentions of his stuff being good, but never anything more specific than that. I did previously see that a lot of his work is being rereleased; so, I'm assuming there must be a strong demand for it. If anyone has read this author, what is the book that broke this author out; or, where would you recommend starting? From the description of this book, it sounds like historical horror and, from what I can gather, not the usual type of story from this author.
    Janz is a little atypical in that he didn't have a breakout book, per se, ala Paul Tremblay w/ HEAD FULL OF GHOSTS, but rather just progressively built up an audience through smart but modest marketing, word of mouth hype/recs, and a consistent output of new material. If I had to assign that breakout label to one of his books, though, I'd probably go with SAVAGE SPECIES...it seemed to me like the book that put him on the map for many folks not yet familiar with him. I read it, and while it was pretty good, I don't know that I would say it's the one that a first-time reader should pick as I doubt it's his best...it was a bit rough in spots, a little light in characterization (though I think deliberately, as he was trying for a Laymon'esque vibe, I believe) and placed more emphasis on pacing, which I don't believe is his typical approach. I haven't read enough of his other works to make a learned recommendation, unfortunately. I did just recently pick up NIGHTMARE GIRL, and I've heard good things about it.

Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour
    I've read everything by Janz. His newest, The Dark Game, is a great place to start. I think it's probably his best written book. Children of the Dark might be the one I hear that most people like the best. Nightmare Girl is my favorite. Part of that is probably tied to when I read it and what I was going through at the time.

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed
    Thanks for the recommendations RonClinton & khaos! Think I'm going to give a few of these a whirl and see if I like his stuff.

Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? bookworm 1's Avatar
    UP State NY the real upstate north of Albany
    Quote Originally Posted by khaos View Post
    I've read everything by Janz. His newest, The Dark Game, is a great place to start. I think it's probably his best written book. Children of the Dark might be the one I hear that most people like the best. Nightmare Girl is my favorite. Part of that is probably tied to when I read it and what I was going through at the time.
    Children of the Dark and Nightmare Girl are both great books. He is working on a sequel to Children Of The Dark.

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session Sock Monkey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bookworm 1 View Post
    Children of the Dark and Nightmare Girl are both great books. He is working on a sequel to Children Of The Dark.
    Isn't Children of the Dark also connected to another of his books?

Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour
    Quote Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
    Isn't Children of the Dark also connected to another of his books?
    It is somewhat connected to Savage Species but not enough where it would matter if you read them in any order.