Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the book you have started the most times but couldn't finish?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is the book you have started the most times but couldn't finish?

For me, it's Dune. I would get 100-200 pages in and then just not care about the characters at all.

I have never tried to read Dune. (Nor have I seen the movie.)

For me it's BLACK HOUSE by Stephen King and Peter Straub. I loved THE TALISMAN so I was expecting to be similarly engaged by BLACK HOUSE. I have started it twice and I just can't get interested in it at all. I found it very lackluster and boring and couldn't finish it either time.

Comment

Dune has been on my list for years. I'll probably pick up the audio book. I've never seen the movie, but a long time ago there was a mini series on SyFy called "Children of Dune" which I really really liked. I also remember playing a Dune real time strategy game in the either late 90's or early 2000's.
      CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
      Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

There have been very few mainstream books that I couldn't finish. Plenty of POD and self published books that were real turds though.

The last big name book that I couldn't get into to and never finished was The Fireman by Joe Hill. I thought it was boring from start to wherever I stopped.
        Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

To add to the actual topic, it took me something like 2 or 3 tries to get the whole way through The Gunslinger. I found it to be terribly dull. That said I'm glad I made it through eventually as I really like the series as a whole.
          CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
          Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

None. If I put down a book that I didn’t care for and don’t finish, I don’t give it another try. For me, it gets one shot, and that’s it. There may have been a few exceptions to this rule, but none leap to mind at the moment.
            Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Ughh. Dagger right through the heart. Love The Gunslinger.

To be honest I have heard that many times though. I think I am in the minority in my love for this book.

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
              To add to the actual topic, it took me something like 2 or 3 tries to get the whole way through The Gunslinger. I found it to be terribly dull. That said I'm glad I made it through eventually as I really like the series as a whole.
              Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

I'm like Ron, I usually only give a book one shot. But I did try three times with Tom Deady's HAVEN.

Comment

Jane Hitchcock's The Witch's Hammer. Great book, took me 3 tries and five years LOL! Glad I pushed through. I re-read Dune every few years, but not the sequels which I didn't care for at all.
                  Last edited by mhatchett; 08-16-2019, 08:08 PM.

Comment

For me, it has been Cormac McCarthy's "Suttree". I've loved everything else I have read by him; however, I cannot seem to make it past quarter of this book. Maybe I'll give it another go one day...

Comment

I rarely give up on a book. I generally push through on the rare occasion I do surrender I do not go back and try again. I do have one author who I tried repeatedly because so many people love her work. I tried several Ann Rice books and just could not finish them. I even tried her erotic fiction and there is something about her writing style that just rubs me wrong. I have not finished one of her books and have decided I am unwilling to try any other titles by her.

Comment

Weaveworld by Clive Barker . I have tried several times but can’t get more then 50 pages into it before I give up.

Comment

I did finish this book, Geoff Cooper's contribution I found extremely hard to read for some reason. The book? And Hell Followed With Them by Brian Keene, Brian Knight, Geoff Cooper, Tim Lebbon from Solitude Publications. I still remember that story.

Cap
                          Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

I have this unfortunate need to finish a book, regardless of how I feel about it, so I can't say that I've never not finished one . . .

BUT I can at least offer that I struggled with was Michael Chabon's Summerland. I believe when I first tried reading it (it take me a few attempts so maybe my first statement isn't entirely correct) I had only one read one other book from him (The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay - which I remember loving!) Couldn't finish it.

I'm sure it was years later, and while I eventually got to the end, I wish I had my time back. I even spoke to an author friend (of sorts) who LOVES everything from Chabon and he said he could see how I struggled with it, especially my distaste of baseball.

Currently I've been reading N. K. Jemisin's How Long 'til Black Future Month? since February (!!) and it's been rough.

Comment

I’m with a few others here in the sense that I almost always finish books I start, even those I find infuriating (here’s looking at you, 68 KILL). One book I didn’t finish was RAGE by Steve Gerlach, though I might swing back around at some point.

Comment

Working...
                              X