Stephen King books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cdfan View Post
    As for the main question in the thread I like Frik51's suggestion of going in order. Sometimes he may reference characters or events from earlier books, not in a way that really spoils anything, but it is nice to already have an understanding of things that already happened.
    Yes, that's exactly the reason reading chronologically is practically a must.
    Many of King's books are connected which you might miss if you read out of order.
    I envy those who still have to read his books - you're in for an awesome journey!

sk

Comment

Originally posted by fmancino View Post
      Oh yeah heard about that; releasing some time in 2012. SO, I need more advice? Read them in chronological order or not?
      Of course!
      (best advice I can give you!)

sk

Comment

Would I have to read the Dark Tower series before reading Insomnia?
        You won't have to wonder about this any longer if you read the books in chronological order!
        (Or did I mention this already?? :-)) )

sk

Comment

Originally posted by frik51 View Post
          You won't have to wonder about this any longer if you read the books in chronological order!
          (Or did I mention this already?? :-)) )

sk
          Will do, thanks frik!!

Comment

Fmancion, I'd either read It or go in chronological order - and Dan, wow, no King ever? That IS sacrilegious. You are now BANNED. I'm not a huge fan of gore horror, but I've read all of King's books. He's more of a great storyteller than a horror writer, IMO. The Stand is an epic road story, good vs. evil. I loved the Dark Tower series too, glad you're starting that. Many people struggle with The Gunslinger, but stick with it, the series is worth it. If you want more literary try Hearts in Atlantis.
            FACEBOOK | TWITTER | BLOG | TRANSUBSTANTIATE | THE NERVOUS BREAKDOWN

Comment

Originally posted by RichardThomas View Post
              I'm not a huge fan of gore horror, but I've read all of King's books. He's more of a great storyteller than a horror writer, IMO.
              True. King has never been a horror writer.
              The horror elements found within his works are the tools, the means to an end.
              For instance, Carrie isn't really about a girl with telekinetic powers. It's about adolescence, about not fitting in.
              Also, King's range is simply too wide for him to be labelled a horror writer.

sk

Comment

Originally posted by frik51 View Post
                True. King has never been a horror writer.
                The horror elements found within his works are the tools, the means to an end.
                For instance, Carrie isn't really about a girl with telekinetic powers. It's about adolescence, about not fitting in.
                Also, King's range is simply too wide for him to be labelled a horror writer.

sk
                I'm not disagreeing there, it was just how he was labeled when I was younger, and that lead me to have no interest. I've never really liked horror / suspense / thirllers anything like that. It's something that I think is an acquired taste, and really only something I'm starting to be moderately interested in.
                CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
                Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

I grew up watching late night shows like The Twilight Zone or One Step Beyond or Hitchcock. I have always likened King's stories to those types of shows, and I feel that is what horror is really about. Seeing someone hacked in two isn't scary--it's sickening. I think many people get that mixed up. Today's society does want a little more gore though it appears, and so I do put some in (little bits as I have my online serial if you want to take a gander), but I don't think I'll ever want to stray from the formula of what is really scary to myself. And I think that is largely why King is so successful.
                  Website l Facebook l Author Page l Twitter l Instagram l Amazon

Comment

King's voice is the reason for his success, I think. Regardless of the subject he writes about, it's always a huge pleasure to listen to him.

sk

Comment

I would read It. I've read it six or seven times and it still hasn't gotten old.

Comment

Which novel?

Comment

Which novel?
                          ha...i thought the same thing. he said It, which if you aren't paying attention, looks like it
                          FACEBOOK | TWITTER | BLOG | TRANSUBSTANTIATE | THE NERVOUS BREAKDOWN

Comment

Ha, okay thanks (:

Comment

Would I have to read the Dark Tower series before reading Insomnia?
                              I stupidly avoided reading the Dark Tower series for many, many years. I have since came to my senses and read the series and loved it. However, I did read Insomnia many years before I read the Dark Tower series. I don't feel as if it did me any harm. I really liked Insomnia, although many do not. But, from your list, I would suggest reading It. Not only is It my favorite Stephen King book, it is my favorite work of fiction, EVER!
                              "I'm sick of following my dreams, man. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin' and hook up with them later."- Mitch Hedberg

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
                                I'm not disagreeing there, it was just how he was labeled when I was younger, and that lead me to have no interest. I've never really liked horror / suspense / thirllers anything like that. It's something that I think is an acquired taste, and really only something I'm starting to be moderately interested in.
                                How interesting! I've always thought of an affection for horror being something you were just born with. Genetic disposition. That's how it was for me, anyway. When I was four years old my favorite movie was Child's Play, and I had a Chuckie doll I carried around with me everywhere (I would terrify my brother with it every chance I got). Most horror lovers I know are the same way, they were born with a taste for the macabre.

As for King:
                                The first King novel I read was Rose Madder when I was seven. It had a lot of eye-opening moments for someone my age. From the ages 5-6 I read Goosebumps books religiously; after Rose Madder I never touched one again. I was on 'adult books' now.

My favorite King novel is a tie between Lisey's Story and Misery. I loved the tenderness of Lisey's Story, and the lucid insights into the inner workings of a long-lasting love. The pet names and inside jokes and quiet understanding between Lisey and her husband made that book come alive for me like few ever have. Misery... I don't know exactly what it is I love about Misery, just that I do. I'm not sure if any book has made my heart beat like that one did - the ordeal of the main character trying to get out of his bedroom, the fear of him getting caught where he shouldn't be - oh yeah, I was squirming. The Shining and The Stand are also big favorites. My least favorite by him is probably Insomnia, although there are a few others I couldn't get into.

I love his short stories more than his novels though (and I guess that's saying something, because I squeal whenever he has a new novel out). He really is a master. There are too many incredible ones for me to list, but one that always sticks out in my mind as just a damn good story is The Raft (Skeleton Crew). I never really hear anyone mention that one and yet it's the one that's stuck with me most through the years. To write a short story as effective as that is my writing grail. I'm a simple girl. Another lesser-mentioned one is The Road Virus Heads North. The premise sounds lame but the way it was written really gave me the chills, and I really don't get creeped out by stories often at all.

I'd also like to mention I don't see anything wrong with children reading King books. I'm not sure what the issue is. The instances of sex/sexual abuse? Violence? Horror? Racism? I think King pretty clearly outlines that the characters in his stories who do 'bad things' are villains. I learned a lot from his stories growing up (for the better) and I look forward to my kids reading them too, if they enjoy horror. I do recall a moment that now makes me giggle, back when I was 8 and reading It for the first time. There's a part where a teen is either jerking off or being jerked off. I think King described it as a 'growing snake' or something similar, and I thought that the situation was indicating that the guy had magical powers, able to transform a snake into his pants. Ah, the days of innocence
                                Last edited by Arkadia; 06-14-2011, 10:32 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X