Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OTHER VOICES, OTHER TOMBS

othertombsothervoices_cover_front.jpg

OTHER VOICES, OTHER TOMBS is an anthology packed with unsettling stories from the finest independent authors in the horror genre. This collection runs the gamut of styles, including everything from literary horror to creepypasta. Ania Ahlborn, Kealan Patrick Burke, Michael Wehunt, Mercedes Yardley, and Gemma Files are widely considered some of the best authors working in dark fiction right now. Also included are stories from NoSleep Podcast legends: Gemma Amor, JD McGregor, and Michael Whitehouse. OTHER VOICES, OTHER TOMBS is a must-read for the Summer and Fall of 2019!

Now available in paperback and eBook!

The collection is a general horror anthology, but there is a light summer theme. Kealan Patrick Burke leads off the collection with a throwback tale that takes place in the summer of 1989. Two boys uncover a terrifying entity while exploring an abandoned swimming pool in “The Second Hand”.

“Uncomfortable Gods” by Michael Wehunt takes place entirely on the grounds of the sleazy 40 Winks Comfort Lodge. Husband and wife, Den and Karen, are sidetracked on their way to the beach by Den’s horrible toothache. Den leaves Karen in the motel room for longer and longer periods to deal with his toothache, eventually Karen is forced to uncover what is leading Den astray. A psychological tale with wonderfully gruesome imagery. Worth multiple reads!

Gemma Amor leaves it all on the hot tarmac in “Three Lanes Deep”. A long, sweaty traffic jam forces Lucy to leave her car in search of a place to relieve herself. She encounters friendly strangers who offer her a cold drink and a place to go to the bathroom–then all hell breaks loose.

“The Switch” by Cameron Chaney takes place at a summer camp. Fans of the Lindsay Lohan star vehicle The Parent Trap should appreciate Chaney’s light homage, and his heinous twist.

Astute readers will certainly be sweating Kevin Lucia’s oppressive “A Circle that Ever Returneth”. A man takes a job beneath his perceived status in life at a bottle and can redemption center, and soon realizes he’s being ground down to nothing by the repetitive tasks and mind numbing interactions with his co-workers. This story is a proper lost episode of The Twilight Zone. Jordan Peele, take note.

There are other non-seasonal themes that run through the book like Ania Ahlborn’s take on the difficulties of early motherhood in “The Governess”, featuring one of our favorite storytelling devices, a malfunctioning baby monitor; Mercedes Yardley’s “Urban Moon” which deals with a mythological reinterpretation of violence against women and a major problem with social media.

A woman must cope with the emotional difficulties of her occupation as an end of life nurse for a young girl in a hospice center, in Garza and Lason’s “Fly away, little fledgling.”

There are many more fantastic stories from incredible authors like Gemma Files’ apocalyptic “This is How it Goes”, Mike Duran’s folk horror, witchcraft infused “Bury Me in the Garden”, poor choices made by a woman on a snowy stretch of highway in Upstate New York “Alone in the Dark” by J.D. McGregor, Michael Whitehouse’s government cover-up on a remote Scottish isle in “Forget the Burning Isle”, C.W. Briar’s horrific children’s POV regarding bad behavior in “Can We Keep Him?”, and Caytlyn Brooke’s take on psychotic teenage angst during prom season, with her tale “The Red Rose”.

Pick up a copy now and support independent writing and publishing!

https://cemeterygatesmedia.com/2019/07/26/other-voices-other-tombs/
    http://www.kealanpatrickburke.com

Sounds like a cool anthology. Gonna have to check this one out. Think it will ever be released as a hardcover? Trying to get away from paperbacks when possible. Have anything else in hardcover coming out soon? Been a while since I can recall a new hardcover Kealan Patrick Burke book.

Comment

Originally posted by sholloman81 View Post
      Sounds like a cool anthology. Gonna have to check this one out. Think it will ever be released as a hardcover? Trying to get away from paperbacks when possible. Have anything else in hardcover coming out soon? Been a while since I can recall a new hardcover Kealan Patrick Burke book.
      Not sure if they're doing a hardcover, but I doubt it. As far as my own stuff, no hardcovers planned for the foreseeable future, other than CD's edition of SOUR CANDY!
      http://www.kealanpatrickburke.com

Comment

Originally posted by Kealan Patrick Burke View Post
        Not sure if they're doing a hardcover, but I doubt it. As far as my own stuff, no hardcovers planned for the foreseeable future, other than CD's edition of SOUR CANDY!
        Oh that’s awesome! I’ll be sure to get a copy.

Comment

Wasn't aware that CD would be publishing that title. Will definitely be getting me some "SOUR CANDY" when it's announced. On that note-am hoping the title will be available for everyone to purchase rather than being a part of a club/grab bag. I'd hate to miss out on this one!

Comment

Sour Candy would be a cool Signature Series book!

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
              Sour Candy would be a cool Signature Series book!
              Don't quote me as I could be wildly misrembering, but I thought I'd read that it was going to be part of the CD Novella line/series.
              Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
                Don't quote me as I could be wildly misrembering, but I thought I'd read that it was going to be part of the CD Novella line/series.
                The bad part is I actually have the ARC and yes it is in the Novella line. I thought I had read the ebook but I actually read the ARC. Senility has its advantages, every day is a new adventure!

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                  The bad part is I actually have the ARC and yes it is in the Novella line. I thought I had read the ebook but I actually read the ARC. Senility has its advantages, every day is a new adventure!
                  Shared senility, apparently...your mention of the ARC turned on a light in my mind so I checked my bookcase and, sure enough, I have a CD Novella ARC of it as well (and is how I read the story in the first place)! More embarrassing is I believe I got it from a member here as -- maybe? -- part of a trade, but I can't now recall who it was that sent it to me*, and I feel kinda bad about that. I will be picking up a S/L HC of it, though, when it appears as such...need to keep my complete run of the Novella series intact.

* I hope it wasn't you, Martin, as that would just send our shared sentility quotient off the charts. ;-)
                  Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
                    Shared senility, apparently...your mention of the ARC turned on a light in my mind so I checked my bookcase and, sure enough, I have a CD Novella ARC of it as well (and is how I read the story in the first place)! More embarrassing is I believe I got it from a member here as -- maybe? -- part of a trade, but I can't now recall who it was that sent it to me*, and I feel kinda bad about that. I will be picking up a S/L HC of it, though, when it appears as such...need to keep my complete run of the Novella series intact.

* I hope it wasn't you, Martin, as that would just send our shared sentility quotient off the charts. ;-)
                    I believe we did trade some books, if I somehow ended up with two copies it would make sense I would trade one away. To be honest I have no clue, but I did like Sour Candy. I will be buying the limited when it is offered as well.

Comment

This was waiting for me when I got home from work today. Looks like a great read.

Comment

Working...
                      X