Joe Hill to Launch new line of comics with DC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joe Hill to Launch new line of comics with DC

Still hoping for another run of Locke & Key with IDW but am intrigued by this:

https://ew.com/books/2019/06/26/joe-..._medium=social
    Last edited by Dan Hocker; 06-26-2019, 02:17 PM.

Originally posted by Martin View Post
    Still hoping for another run of Locke & Key with IDW but am intrigued by this:

https://ew.com/books/2019/06/26/joe-..._medium=social
    I fixed your link. Also so this is what DC does after they kill the Vertigo line. 5 years ago this would've been under Vertigo not DC proper.
    CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
    Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
      I fixed your link. Also so this is what DC does after they kill the Vertigo line. 5 years ago this would've been under Vertigo not DC proper.
      Thanks! I am not really familiar with Vertigo. I have heard of it but that is about it. My only real experience with comics has been the work Mr. Hill did with IDW. I tried to get into The Dark Tower comics but it did not work for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
        Thanks! I am not really familiar with Vertigo. I have heard of it but that is about it. My only real experience with comics has been the work Mr. Hill did with IDW. I tried to get into The Dark Tower comics but it did not work for me.
        Vertigo was DC's line for stuff that wasn't "Superhero" comics or was too "Adult" for the main DC line. SK did a comic through Vertigo with Scott Snyder called American Vampire. A lot of these properties were pretty famous, many turned into TV shows or movies. Some exmaples include, Doom Patrol, Hellblazer (Constantine), Human Target, iZombie, The Losers, Lucifer, Preacher, The Sandman (Neil Gaiman), Swamp Thing, and Y: The Last Man.

There's lots of others, but these are the ones that stand out to me as either popular or fairly popular TV Shows / Movies.
        CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
        Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Sounds interesting. Don’t know if it’ll be enough to get me back into comics. I kicked the habit about seven years ago and don’t know if I want to go back down the rabbit hole.

Vertigo was amazing. As with anything, not everything worked but there was SO much good intelligent stuff. Everything Dan mentioned plus The Invisibles, Shade the Changing Man, Transmetropolitan (though I think that started under the Helix imprint). Seriously, modern comics—especially the non-superhero Image stuff—owe a huge debt to what Vertigo did.

Comment

Having never been a superhero comic guy, this will be right up my alley. Does DC go nuts with the variant covers like IDW does?

Comment

Vertigo was a great line. I have the entire run of American Vampire. One of the most original takes on the Vampire Mythology. I hope this line works out.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
                Having never been a superhero comic guy, this will be right up my alley. Does DC go nuts with the variant covers like IDW does?
                I want to say no, but they do occasionally have some titles and issues with multiple covers. Right now one of DC's events is Year of the Villain and there seems to be a cardstock cover variant for every crossover, plus for Action Comics and Detective Comics #1000, they did MULTIPLE MULTIPLE covers, but I still would overall, especially compared to IDW, you'll be pretty safe on the variants.

Plus these titles feel like it's almost a given that they'll receive the Omnibus treatment which will be a gorgeous presentation.

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
                  I want to say no, but they do occasionally have some titles and issues with multiple covers. Right now one of DC's events is Year of the Villain and there seems to be a cardstock cover variant for every crossover, plus for Action Comics and Detective Comics #1000, they did MULTIPLE MULTIPLE covers, but I still would overall, especially compared to IDW, you'll be pretty safe on the variants.

Plus these titles feel like it's almost a given that they'll receive the Omnibus treatment which will be a gorgeous presentation.
                  Thanks, Jason!

Comment

The first Joe Hill comics are being solicited, and lucky for Brian, there aren't an IDW-level of variants.

Basketful of Heads #1 - Reiko Murakami cover $3.99
                    Basketful of Heads #1 - Joshua Middleton cover $4.99

Comment

The first Joe Hill comics are being solicited, and lucky for Brian, there aren't an IDW-level of variants.

Basketful of Heads #1 - Reiko Murakami cover $3.99
                      Basketful of Heads #1 - Joshua Middleton cover $4.99
                      I can handle that. But, after Macro Lammers' update, I'm doomed

Comment

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
                        I can handle that. But, after Macro Lammers' update, I'm doomed
                        What was the update?

Comment

Here is the update from Marco at JoeHillBibliography.com

Dear all,

Lots of news to cover, most of it related to comics as you may expect (since San Diego Comic Con ended last weekend), so let’s dive straight into it!

In the June 2019 update (2) newsletter I informed you about a new Locke & Key one-shot called Nailed It
                          Details were updated with print runs for both the con exclusive and con exclusive virgin variant.
                          Earlier this week IDW announced that Nailed It will also be available as a regular release paired with another Locke & Key short called Dog Days, this has also been added to the Nailed It / Dog Days page in the COMICS section.

More Locke & Key news, in 2020 there will be a new series called Locke & Key: World War Key and the first arc is called Revolution. A page for this has been added to the COMICS section.

Another new comics series, a collaboration with Martin Simmonds, was mentioned in the June 2019 update newsletter, we now have a title....S.T. Holmes, The Insulting Detective, In...Dying Is Easy! a page for this has been added to the COMICS section.

And it’s taken a long time but it'll finally be available next week.... The Cape Fallen page in the COMICS section has been updated with details and pics of issue 4.

Details were also updated for the con exclusive variant of Wraith #7 on the Wraith: Welcome To Christmasland page in the COMICS section.

On the Hill House Comics page in the COMICS section, details and a picture have been added for a variant of issue 1 Basketful Of Heads.

Last but certainly not least more about Marvel Comics #1000 in which Joe has a one page story collaborating with Michael Allred. I initially added this one to the Various page in the COMICS section but I have now created a seperate page for this title as there are no less than 30 (!!) different variants next to the regular edition with probably more to come.

In the BOOKS and SHORTS section I updated some pictures with actual scans.

And earlier this week, Joe's US publisher announced the US book tour to promote the upcoming short story collection Full Throttle
                          Monday, September 30 - 7:30 PM
                          POWELL'S BOOKS
                          1005 W Burnside St Portland, OR 97209

Tuesday, October 01 - 7:00 PM
                          COPPERFIELD BOOKS
                          140 Kentucky St Petaluma, CA 94952

Wednesday, October 02 - 7:00 PM
                          TATTERED COVER BOOK STORE
                          2526 E. Colfax AVE Denver, CO 80206

Thursday, October 03 - 7:00 PM
                          POISONED PEN
                          4014 N Goldwater Scottsdale, AZ 85251

Friday, October 04 - 7:00 PM
                          BOSWELL BOOK COMPANY
                          2559 N Downer Ave Milwaukee, WI 53211

Monday, October 07 - 7:00 PM
                          CENTER FOR FICTION
                          15 Lafayette AVE Brooklyn, NY 11217

Friday, October 11 - 7:00 PM
                          BARNES & NOBLE NASHUA #2791/NASHUA
                          235 Daniel Webster HWY Nashua, NH 03060

Wednesday, October 23 - 7:00 PM
                          BOOKS A MILLION, 116 Bangor Mall Blvd
                          Bangor, ME 04401

Saturday, October 26
                          Full Throttle by Joe Hill will be featured on/at:
                          WORD. FESTIVAL

Unfortunately Joe's UK publisher informed me that there are no plans for a UK book tour but I'm hoping the gap in the US dates mentioned above will mean that there will at least be some signings in the UK, fingers crossed...

For those interested in Locke & Key, I was thrilled to learn that Gabriel Rodriguez and Jay Fotos will cross the pond to attend FACTS in Ghent, Belgium on 19/20 October. Already bought my ticket and am thrilled to finally meet both in the flesh.
                          ps. Thanks to Ben from www.joehill.nl

And, some news on the TV front
                          The NOS4A2 tv-series has been renewed for a second season
                          The Creepshow reboot with an adaption of Joe’s By The Silver Water Of Lake Champlain premieres on Shudder on 26 September 2019
                          Finally, the adaption of In The Tall Grass will be available on Netflix on 4 October 2019

Thanks and as always, please don't hesitate to contact me at [email protected] if you have any questions, suggestions or, even better, additional information to add to the site.

Happy collecting, best-
                          Marco Lammers

Comment

Thanks! I wasn’t sure who Marco was or where this update was from.

Comment

What was the update?
                              I was specifically speaking of the 30+ variants for Marvel's #1000. Ugh. And some are pretty expensive.

Comment

Working...
                              X