Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Shining Stephen King Subterranean Press Unknown Edition at Camelot Books

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session
    Quote Originally Posted by mhatchett View Post
    Why would people be salty?? Other than not being able to afford it LOL!! I mean, have Y'all seen the prices on the GRRM stuff or Steven Erikson's Malazan Empire series, holy crap! I look at things wistfully at times, but that's the way it goes. Or is this one of those, you said there were only going to be X number of editions??
    It seems to be centered around a couple of items:

1. That this was an "unknown edition" that was not previously announced during the original publication of Sub Press's edition of THE SHINING. This isn't accurate as it was notated on the TDT.Org site. Also, even if it wasn't, this edition does not impact the other editions listed (ie. finding out there are 52 copies made instead of 26 as listed on a limitation page). Publishers make rare editions all the time that the general public is not aware of and are announced to their "members", "subscribers", or "inner circle" customers. Centipede does this routinely, so does Thunderstorm. Even CD had a Roman Numeral edition of Gideon's Corpse that was not made public. As long the publisher and the author are on the same page, then "no harm, no foul".

2. The donation issues with The Haven Foundation no longer accepting public donations and this transaction between Sub Press and Camelot is such an occurrence. To me, this was clearly the agreement between King and his agents and Sub Press for this particular edition and neither Sub Press nor Camelot would be involved if that wasn't the case.

I just don't see what the issue is or what the public outcry is about.

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed
    Can you expand on what the controversy is....? Genuinely curious, since I haven't heard anything.
    (Never mind! Sock Monkey posted the answer to my question just as I was posting the question....)

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication
    For the sake of posterity, here's Bill's response:

Hey all. A number of questions and accusations have cropped up regarding our signed limited edition of Stephen King’s The Shining, specifically the ten copies specially bound, traycased, and limited to ten Roman numeral copies.

The “Room 217” edition was produced years ago, when we published the signed limited edition of The Shining. (I’ve seen conjecture that the edition was created more recently.) The edition, and our intention to donate the proceeds to The Haven Foundation, was approved by Steve’s agent. I made the decision to sell the books recently because I felt I’d been offered a fair amount for them, more than I would have thought to ask for them myself. Earlier today, I received an email acknowledgment of the donation from The Haven Foundation, with the promise that a hardcopy would be posted.

I hope that clears up various questions.

It's hard to believe that anyone familiar with Subterranean or Camelot could suspect them of doing anything financially shady. They're both well-established and well-respected pillars of the small-press community. (And if they WERE trying something underhanded, I would assume that they know enough high-end collectors personally that they could have just done it completely undercover, and not drawn any attention to themselves.) Hopefully, Bill's statement will be the end of it, and he, as well, as Kim and Tony, will be done with this nonsense.

Senior Member Hearing Voices
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy121070 View Post
    It's hard to believe that anyone familiar with Subterranean or Camelot could suspect them of doing anything financially shady. They're both well-established and well-respected pillars of the small-press community. (And if they WERE trying something underhanded, I would assume that they know enough high-end collectors personally that they could have just done it completely undercover, and not drawn any attention to themselves.) Hopefully, Bill's statement will be the end of it, and he, as well, as Kim and Tony, will be done with this nonsense.
    Well said. Can’t believe some of what I read from those who’ve been around a while and should know better. Why they even see it as an apparent personal outrage in the first place baffles me.

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session
    Quote Originally Posted by RonClinton View Post
    Well said. Can’t believe some of what I read from those who’ve been around a while and should know better. Why they even see it as an apparent personal outrage in the first place baffles me.
    Nailed it.

Senior Member Hearing Voices Ben Staad's Avatar
    Both are good people and I would have trouble believing they are intentionally doing anything shady.

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement jeffingoff's Avatar
    What bothers me most about this line of speculation is that no one granted Bill or Kim the benefit of the doubt. It seemed to immediately move toward presumption of guilt. Bill and Kim deserve better than that.

I understand that many people were insulted and outraged that The Haven Foundation accepted money from the sale after they declared they would no longer accept donations. That's not something I can really comment on other than to say that those who are mad about the sale of this very limited state of The Shining should maybe redirect their confusion and skepticism to The Haven Foundation instead of Bill and Kim.

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed St. Troy's Avatar
    Does this new edition use the same page block of the commonly known SP Shining?
    Always looking to rent out a hidden floor above or below an old library, preferably brick or stone with hidden passageways. No pets (except cats).

Why is The Haven Foundation no longer accepting donations?

Senior Member Lobotomized Martin's Avatar
    Why is The Haven Foundation no longer accepting donations?
    In 2017 The Haven Foundation chose to change their status with the IRS to 'Private Foundation' and are funding grants from funds on hand. I can say that once a foundation reaches a certain level they are able to self sustain on interest earnings for a long time. Not sure if that is the case here. I am not able to speak to what steps they were required to make in order to accept this donation and personally do not feel it is my business. I have donated to Haven in the past and am personally thankful organizations like this exist.
    Last edited by Martin; 06-03-2019 at 09:57 PM.

Interesting...Thanks for the info, Martin.