Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Favorite David Lynch Movie

Hello everyone,

What is your favorite David Lynch film and why?

I always go back and forth between Mulholland Drive and Fire Walk with Me. They are actually my two favorite films of all time and I find them to both be pretty much perfect.

FWWM has more of a midnight horror movie vibe and what I love most about it is it's emotion and intensity. The way Laura Palmer is depicted in the movie by Sheryl Lee is probably my favorite performance/character in any medium ever. The movie has an extremely powerful message on abuse, trauma, and evil.

Mulholland Drive has more of a mystery/atmospheric vibe and feels more like a classic American film. The style is more controlled with meaningful cinematography in every scene but also an indescribable creepiness. It is an extremely complex and layered film covering themes of psychology, guilt, Hollywood and film itself.

I love these two films equally but if I had to choose right now I would pick Mulholland Drive because it is so perfect from start to finish. FWWM obviously is just one part (albeit the best part) of the Twin Peaks universe and kind of needs knowledge of the show to be appreciated which isn't really a flaw. On the other hand, in Mulholland Drive every single scene is loaded with meaning. It presents a solvable mystery but also enough to think about endlessly. I have seen it countless times and it still effects me on a deep level and always reveals something new.

Thank you!

I have been close to picking-up the Blu-ray for Mulholland Drive for a while; however, something always holds me back. Still haven't seen the movie but do plan on getting to it eventually. Have seen it creep up on some of the "Best Horror Movie" lists; however, when I read the back of the box/description, the movie doesn't sound as though it would be a horror film. Quinton77- any chance you can describe the film a bit further without giving away any spoilers?

Comment

I have always struggled with Lynch. I remember enjoying Mullholland Drive enough, but struggled with Lost Highway. I've been meaning to revisit both and probably should now that Criterion has released Mulholland on Blu and Kino Lorber is doing the same with Lost Highway.

I've never watched Twin Peaks, but have been toying with the idea finally getting around to it.

Comment

I love weird movies so Lynch is right up my alley. Mulholland Drive is probably his best but I also loved Inland Empire. I laughed all the way through Eraserhead, that's a fun one. I think I liked the Soundtrack to Lost Highway better than the film itself. I still need to see The Straight Story.

As to why, I've never been one of those folks that need a reasonable explanation for everything I see in a film. I like being confused and in the dark on some things. Gives me a chance to ruminate and use my imagination. Not knocking the folks that like "clean" flicks that explain everything in detail, I like those types of films too but just so long as I'm not bored, I'm there!

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy View Post
          I love weird movies so Lynch is right up my alley. Mulholland Drive is probably his best but I also loved Inland Empire. I laughed all the way through Eraserhead, that's a fun one. I think I liked the Soundtrack to Lost Highway better than the film itself. I still need to see The Straight Story.

As to why, I've never been one of those folks that need a reasonable explanation for everything I see in a film. I like being confused and in the dark on some things. Gives me a chance to ruminate and use my imagination. Not knocking the folks that like "clean" flicks that explain everything in detail, I like those types of films too but just so long as I'm not bored, I'm there!
          Well stated Tommy. I really enjoyed Mulholland Drive and the original Twin Peaks season one. Have only seen a few of Mr. Lynch's other productions.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
            Well stated Tommy. I really enjoyed Mulholland Drive and the original Twin Peaks season one. Have only seen a few of Mr. Lynch's other productions.
            Thank you, Sir!

Inland Empire is three hours but it's a very entertaining and intense three hours. I really recommend that one. That and Mulholland Drive are the ones I've seen multiple times.

Comment

Mulholland Drive

Comment

How is this method?

Comment

Working...
                X