Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
Results 141 to 160 of 183

Thread: Centipede will be releasing.....

  1. #141
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    WA State
    Posts
    1,859
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post
    It was Jerad's email that signaled to my lizard brain that I might be missing out on a feeding frenzy if I pass on the Watts set. The way he promised to hold off on putting the set on the site until newsletter subscribers had a chance to secure their copies made me feel like this was a fleeting opportunity and the way he described the stories made them sound like just the kind of sci fi I would love. So I jumped. And I hope I love what I read. I almost always do with Jerad--Blackburn and Woolrich and even my intro to Lansdale. But if not, there seems to be a reasonable demand for the Watts set should I want to sell.
    Yeah, to some degree I kinda wish I would've picked up the hint and grabbed a set. That said, though, I think I now almost want it more for the rarity and ratcheting value of the set than for true reading entertainment, which is distinctly not how or why I buy the books I buy. I buy what I want to read, and that's why I paused (for too long, as it turned out) on this set...it just didn't -- and still doesn't -- sound like my kind of thing. That's not a personal parameter I want to change. So even if I was able to don my Cher hair and turn back time, I doubt whether I'd make a different decision...I'm not really interested in reading the work and any purchase I'd make would just prevent someone else who truly wants to read it from doing so. But of course as a Centipede fanboy and an admirer of fine books, it's admittedly hard to look upon that set and not covet it...

  2. #142
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    WA State
    Posts
    1,859
    Rep Power
    14
    Issue 10 of Weird Fiction Review is now available to order. This issue contains the first of what I hope will be a long run of my Collecting the Modern Macabre column — this time around it examines Carcosa, Karl Edward Wagner’s small press.

    http://www.centipedepress.com/anthol...freview10.html

    https://twitter.com/ron_clinton/stat...167196160?s=21

  3. #143
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement mhatchett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Richmond, Va
    Posts
    1,730
    Rep Power
    55
    I'm looking forward to your article Ron. I think I have four of those titles, Worse Things Waiting is the one that comes to mind!

  4. #144
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    WA State
    Posts
    1,859
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by mhatchett View Post
    I'm looking forward to your article Ron. I think I have four of those titles, Worse Things Waiting is the one that comes to mind!
    You have them all, then, as Carcosa only put out four volumes during its run. Hope you enjoy the article. :-)

  5. #145
    Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    68
    Rep Power
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by RonClinton View Post
    You have them all, then, as Carcosa only put out four volumes during its run. Hope you enjoy the article. :-)
    Wow- how cool to hear you name checked in this morning's Centipede newsletter, Ron! And, double-cool to hear what your article is going to be about. Having NO Carcosa books- but always wanting a set- I suspect your article will make it even harder for me to get one at a decent price. I'd better hurry. Can't wait to read it!

  6. #146
    Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    6,448
    Rep Power
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by RonClinton View Post
    Issue 10 of Weird Fiction Review is now available to order. This issue contains the first of what I hope will be a long run of my Collecting the Modern Macabre column — this time around it examines Carcosa, Karl Edward Wagner’s small press.

    http://www.centipedepress.com/anthol...freview10.html

    https://twitter.com/ron_clinton/stat...167196160?s=21
    I have been avoiding buying a these every year. Fearing of course that they would become another ‘must buy’. Your essay subject has me intrigued enough that I will probably bite this time.

  7. #147
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    WA State
    Posts
    1,859
    Rep Power
    14
    Thanks, guys, hope you all enjoy it. And, Martin, FWIW, the reward-to-cost ratio on WFR is very high...a colorful, thick, high-quality production for $20-something (on sale)...my article aside , it’s a heckuva value. I have the run from issue 5 or 6 and up, and just wish I could afford the earlier ones, but like all Centipede stuff, they’ve skyrocketed in value.

  8. #148
    Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    6,448
    Rep Power
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by RonClinton View Post
    Thanks, guys, hope you all enjoy it. And, Martin, FWIW, the reward-to-cost ratio on WFR is very high...a colorful, thick, high-quality production for $20-something (on sale)...my article aside , it’s a heckuva value. I have the run from issue 5 or 6 and up, and just wish I could afford the earlier ones, but like all Centipede stuff, they’ve skyrocketed in value.
    Finding value in it is what I am afraid of as I will then have to keep buying them. I generally dislike fancy paperback books as it is very hard to keep them pristine when reading them.

  9. #149
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement mhatchett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Richmond, Va
    Posts
    1,730
    Rep Power
    55
    Quote Originally Posted by RonClinton View Post
    You have them all, then, as Carcosa only put out four volumes during its run. Hope you enjoy the article. :-)
    Had these for years and really enjoyed them!
    Carcosa.jpg

  10. #150
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    WA State
    Posts
    1,859
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by mhatchett View Post
    Had these for years and really enjoyed them!
    Carcosa.jpg
    Yep, those are them. I’d argue that Cave’s collection is one of the best small-press collections published, certainly of the pulp-reprint variety.

  11. #151
    Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    81
    Rep Power
    2
    Anybody else got the "THE HAUNTING OF HILL HOUSE" ? I was totally not expecting the book to look this amazing. Blown away by the slipcase itself ..lol. Just to give a perspective of the size i took a picture of it beside the other book i got few weeks back. The Lenticular image is awesome.

    20200305_214146.jpg

  12. #152
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    WA State
    Posts
    1,859
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by WebInterceptor View Post
    Anybody else got the "THE HAUNTING OF HILL HOUSE" ? I was totally not expecting the book to look this amazing. Blown away by the slipcase itself ..lol. Just to give a perspective of the size i took a picture of it beside the other book i got few weeks back. The Lenticular image is awesome.

    20200305_214146.jpg
    Wow, that’s beautiful…and much larger than I would’ve figured. Love those oversized volumes, and this one really looks like something special. Congratulations, and feel free to post some interiors as well. :-)

  13. #153
    Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session Sock Monkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,386
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by WebInterceptor View Post
    Anybody else got the "THE HAUNTING OF HILL HOUSE" ? I was totally not expecting the book to look this amazing. Blown away by the slipcase itself ..lol. Just to give a perspective of the size i took a picture of it beside the other book i got few weeks back. The Lenticular image is awesome.

    20200305_214146.jpg
    Mine’s on its way and I’m dying to see it in person.

  14. #154
    Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    81
    Rep Power
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by RonClinton View Post
    Wow, that’s beautiful…and much larger than I would’ve figured. Love those oversized volumes, and this one really looks like something special. Congratulations, and feel free to post some interiors as well. :-)
    Of course, As soon as i open it.

  15. #155
    Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    6,448
    Rep Power
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by WebInterceptor View Post
    Anybody else got the "THE HAUNTING OF HILL HOUSE" ? I was totally not expecting the book to look this amazing. Blown away by the slipcase itself ..lol. Just to give a perspective of the size i took a picture of it beside the other book i got few weeks back. The Lenticular image is awesome.

    20200305_214146.jpg
    That looks absolutely stunning. Congratulations and I am looking forward to the interior shots!

  16. #156
    Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session jeffingoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois, United States
    Posts
    2,103
    Rep Power
    14
    Stunning edition. I've seen pictures elsewhere and Jerad really delivered on this one. It'll be a sought-after volume for a long time. Congratulations! I wish I could have made the purchase at the time.

  17. #157
    Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    81
    Rep Power
    2
    These are some of the other pics of the inside of the book. The last two seem to be drawings of Hill House by Shirley Jackson

    20200306_105217.jpg

    hanting.jpg

    20200306_105508.jpg

    20200306_105556.jpg

    20200306_105602.jpg

  18. #158
    Senior Member Involuntarily Committed CyberGhostface's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    135
    Rep Power
    8
    Does anyone know if Centipede's upcoming 'We Have Always Lived in the Castle' will be like this?

  19. #159
    Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session Sock Monkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,386
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberGhostface View Post
    Does anyone know if Centipede's upcoming 'We Have Always Lived in the Castle' will be like this?
    I don’t remember anything in the newsletters discussing the book’s design at all.

  20. #160
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    WA State
    Posts
    1,859
    Rep Power
    14
    Those pics...wow. Yet another Centipede edition I regret having to pass on. I wouldn't do anything differently if given the chance to go back in time, but that doesn't make it any easier for this Centipede fanboy. Congrats to those who snagged a copy.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •