Centipede will be releasing.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
    I was interested in this one based on Jerad's write up. And it's only $50 which seems like a bargain. I did get an extra $100 at work on Friday . . .
    Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
    I have a little extra scratch right now as well. It's making life difficult for me and my book addiction. I could use the money elsewhere but I keep buying books. Maybe one day I will be on a Hoarders special edition:Book Collectors.
    I have found that with books -- especially Centipede books -- the only ones I regret are the ones I didn't buy.
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
      In the sense that there is nothing supernatural, yes, it’s a thriller. However, I would label it more of a dark modern Gothic than a thriller. When I think of a thriller I think of either espionage or crime or domestic “Gone Girl” suspense, etc...something where suspense and narrative momentum propel the plot. This, however, is a distinctly dark (but fun and entertaining in a progressively macabre way) family gothic. It’s not going to be everyone’s cup of tea, but I loved it.
      BLOOD SECRETS arrived today and, not surprisingly, it's a good-looking production. Has an introduction by both the author and someone else, sewn-in ribbon bookmark, a couple interior illustrations, and a nice sig page signed by author, intro. author, and artist (David Ho). At $50, it's obviously not one of Centipede's pull-out-all-the-stops productions, but it's quite handsome and offers quite the bang for the buck (as compared to other similarly-priced small press books)...plus it's a heckuva read, as I mention above. Just checked at Centipede's site and copies still remain on sale for $45.

As my portfolio advisor might say, I recommend:

Comment

BLOOD SECRETS arrived today and, not surprisingly, it's a good-looking production. Has an introduction by both the author and someone else, sewn-in ribbon bookmark, a couple interior illustrations, and a nice sig page signed by author, intro. author, and artist (David Ho). At $50, it's obviously not one of Centipede's pull-out-all-the-stops productions, but it's quite handsome and offers quite the bang for the buck (as compared to other similarly-priced small press books)...plus it's a heckuva read, as I mention above. Just checked at Centipede's site and copies still remain on sale for $45.

As my portfolio advisor might say, I recommend:

You better hope I love it! I just ordered a copy.

Comment

Ron is a pusher, I swear to god.

Ordered.

Comment

Originally posted by slayn666 View Post
            Ron is a pusher, I swear to god.

Ordered.
            Yes but I have never gone wrong with Ron's recommendations.

Comment

Thanks for the faith, and hope you guys enjoy it as much as I did.

Jones has a second novel, FATAL ATTRACTION (no relation to the film), that I own in pb but have yet to read. I really need to get around to that one one of these days. I've heard he has another, TOO LATE TO BE GOOD, but I've never seen a copy in the wild. From what I've read about each, though, BLOOD SECRETS is really where it kind of starts and ends with Jones, and if so, it's definitely a high note of which he can be proud. It's like a noir mixed with a dark gothic with touches of a sleazy soap opera...what's not to love? I think this one, with its all pulpish gothicness, might have been a bit more at home in Centipede's Vintage Horror series, but I can understand why Jerad chose to feature this one as a standalone, as it's certainly of more literary worth than (most? all?) the volumes in that series.

Comment

From Jerad's newsletter today:

"The Haunting of Hill House will be up for order next weekend. The price will be $625 per copy. This is an oversize book, printed in two colors and four colors throughout, with several full-page, full-color illustrations tipped into the book. It is signed by Matt Mahurin and Caitlín R. Kiernan. It has a new introduction by Caitlín Kiernan, and a reprint of a classic Stephen King essay from Danse Macabre, plus an afterword by Laurence Hyman. It comes with a handsome cloth binding, dustjacket with art by Mahurin, and the whole is enclosed in a cloth slipcase. The dustjacket has already been wrapped in Mylar for you, which means the slipcase is designed for this. The slipcase has a 3D lenticular image on the cover. There are other nice touches as well. With luck, the title will be shipping near end of January. But we will definitely not be shipping during the insane Christmas season."

I also ordered the Bram Stoker book. Looks like a nice volume for the price.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave1442397 View Post
                  I also ordered the Bram Stoker book. Looks like a nice volume for the price.
                  Im thinking about grabbing this one too. I’m not too familiar with Stoker other than Dracula (and if I’m honest, I may not have read it before - just the play and a recent movie.) Plus the price is really good.

Comment

Im thinking about grabbing this one too. I’m not too familiar with Stoker other than Dracula (and if I’m honest, I may not have read it before - just the play and a recent movie.) Plus the price is really good.
                    I picked that up as well. The Library of Weird Fiction series definitely offers great value for the dollar. I pick all of these up whenever they are offered, especially for authors that I'm not familiar with because this is a great way to get exposed to a big cross section of their writing.

Comment

I’ve skipped these volumes over the years, but sure wish I would’ve picked up the William Hope Hodgson volume…that one I regret. Speaking of regrets, I had an opportunity a few years ago to pick up the first four (including Hodgson) for $100 for the lot. I passed. What a maroon.

Comment

I’ve skipped these volumes over the years, but sure wish I would’ve picked up the William Hope Hodgson volume…that one I regret. Speaking of regrets, I had an opportunity a few years ago to pick up the first four (including Hodgson) for $100 for the lot. I passed. What a maroon.
                        I skipped on the first four as well and am constantly regretting that decision. They now go for amounts that I just can’t justify. These are nice books but not $200+ worth.

Don’t you hate it when you come across a good deal and pass for whatever reason then kick yourself for it? I’ve done that more than a few times during my stint as a collector...

Comment

I’m also down for that edition of Hill House.

Jeff, didn’t you pull the trigger on the Suntup edition? If so, I think you need to pick up the Centipede version as well so we can see a side-by-side comparison video.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
                            I’m also down for that edition of Hill House.

Jeff, didn’t you pull the trigger on the Suntup edition? If so, I think you need to pick up the Centipede version as well so we can see a side-by-side comparison video.
                            A second that suggestion. Jeff this is a must have video, please get on that.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
                              I skipped on the first four as well and am constantly regretting that decision. They now go for amounts that I just can’t justify. These are nice books but not $200+ worth.

Don’t you hate it when you come across a good deal and pass for whatever reason then kick yourself for it? I’ve done that more than a few times during my stint as a collector...
                              I sure do hate it. I’ve learned that the popular saying is quite true: It’s only the books you don’t buy that you regret.

Comment

A Bram Stoker book? Is Centipede Press the publisher? What is the title of this book? I do know Swan River Press has published Old Hoggen and Other Adventures by Bram Stoker.

Cap

Last edited by c marvel; 12-09-2019, 06:01 AM.
                                Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

Working...
                                X