Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Centipede will be releasing.....

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement Ben Staad's Avatar
    Is it a straight thriller? Sounds interesting but I haven't collected anything from that genre.

Quote Originally Posted by RonClinton View Post
    For those on the fence, I’ve read BLOOD SECRETS by Craig Jones, and even have a signed first-edition hardcover with a long inscription from the author in it…and I still picked up the Centipede edition that was just announced and is shipping next week. This book is highly recommended, just an absolutely fantastic read.

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Staad View Post
    Is it a straight thriller? Sounds interesting but I haven't collected anything from that genre.
    In the sense that there is nothing supernatural, yes, it’s a thriller. However, I would label it more of a dark modern Gothic than a thriller. When I think of a thriller I think of either espionage or crime or domestic “Gone Girl” suspense, etc...something where suspense and narrative momentum propel the plot. This, however, is a distinctly dark (but fun and entertaining in a progressively macabre way) family gothic. It’s not going to be everyone’s cup of tea, but I loved it.

Thank you for the reply. Sounds like it has some depth to it.

In the sense that there is nothing supernatural, yes, it’s a thriller. However, I would label it more of a dark modern Gothic than a thriller. When I think of a thriller I think of either espionage or crime or domestic “Gone Girl” suspense, etc...something where suspense and narrative momentum propel the plot. This, however, is a distinctly dark (but fun and entertaining in a progressively macabre way) family gothic. It’s not going to be everyone’s cup of tea, but I loved it.

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication TacomaDiver's Avatar
    Thank you for the reply. Sounds like it has some depth to it.
    I was interested in this one based on Jerad's write up. And it's only $50 which seems like a bargain. I did get an extra $100 at work on Friday . . .

I have a little extra scratch right now as well. It's making life difficult for me and my book addiction. I could use the money elsewhere but I keep buying books. Maybe one day I will be on a Hoarders special edition:Book Collectors.

Quote Originally Posted by TacomaDiver View Post
    I was interested in this one based on Jerad's write up. And it's only $50 which seems like a bargain. I did get an extra $100 at work on Friday . . .

Quote Originally Posted by TacomaDiver View Post
    I have a little extra scratch right now as well. It's making life difficult for me and my book addiction. I could use the money elsewhere but I keep buying books. Maybe one day I will be on a Hoarders special edition:Book Collectors.
    I have found that with books -- especially Centipede books -- the only ones I regret are the ones I didn't buy.

BLOOD SECRETS arrived today and, not surprisingly, it's a good-looking production. Has an introduction by both the author and someone else, sewn-in ribbon bookmark, a couple interior illustrations, and a nice sig page signed by author, intro. author, and artist (David Ho). At $50, it's obviously not one of Centipede's pull-out-all-the-stops productions, but it's quite handsome and offers quite the bang for the buck (as compared to other similarly-priced small press books)...plus it's a heckuva read, as I mention above. Just checked at Centipede's site and copies still remain on sale for $45.

As my portfolio advisor might say, I recommend:

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement jeffingoff's Avatar
    BLOOD SECRETS arrived today and, not surprisingly, it's a good-looking production. Has an introduction by both the author and someone else, sewn-in ribbon bookmark, a couple interior illustrations, and a nice sig page signed by author, intro. author, and artist (David Ho). At $50, it's obviously not one of Centipede's pull-out-all-the-stops productions, but it's quite handsome and offers quite the bang for the buck (as compared to other similarly-priced small press books)...plus it's a heckuva read, as I mention above. Just checked at Centipede's site and copies still remain on sale for $45.

As my portfolio advisor might say, I recommend:

You better hope I love it! I just ordered a copy.

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication
    Ron is a pusher, I swear to god.

Ordered.

Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? Martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by slayn666 View Post
    Ron is a pusher, I swear to god.

Ordered.
    Yes but I have never gone wrong with Ron's recommendations.

Thanks for the faith, and hope you guys enjoy it as much as I did.

Jones has a second novel, FATAL ATTRACTION (no relation to the film), that I own in pb but have yet to read. I really need to get around to that one one of these days. I've heard he has another, TOO LATE TO BE GOOD, but I've never seen a copy in the wild. From what I've read about each, though, BLOOD SECRETS is really where it kind of starts and ends with Jones, and if so, it's definitely a high note of which he can be proud. It's like a noir mixed with a dark gothic with touches of a sleazy soap opera...what's not to love? I think this one, with its all pulpish gothicness, might have been a bit more at home in Centipede's Vintage Horror series, but I can understand why Jerad chose to feature this one as a standalone, as it's certainly of more literary worth than (most? all?) the volumes in that series.