No announcement yet.

What Do You Listen to While You Write?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I write at work while on lunch break. That is the only time I have free - if I'm at home, I taking care of the 9mo kid (if the laptop comes out while the kid is around, he feels the need to play baby smash on the keyboard) or hangin' with my wife. Weekends are spent on the boat or working around the house. I find it hard to focus, to be honest. That is why I have so many story starts and no ends.
    It ain't braggin' if you can do it. . .

Comment

Originally posted by RJHubbard53 View Post
      I write at work while on lunch break. That is the only time I have free - if I'm at home, I taking care of the 9mo kid (if the laptop comes out while the kid is around, he feels the need to play baby smash on the keyboard) or hangin' with my wife. Weekends are spent on the boat or working around the house. I find it hard to focus, to be honest. That is why I have so many story starts and no ends.
      Ahhh, baby smash on the keyboard, know that one quite well. Also boom boom mouse flies across the room and smack the monitor cause its glowing.

Comment

It depends on what I'm writing. I'll get ideas while listening to music. If that happens, I'm kind of forced to have to listen to that song over and over again as I create the first draft. Usually, I put on some particular mood fitting music into Pandora and just go. On the second draft, I need SILENCE.

For my story The Wings of a Fly, I was inspired by Nick Cave's Wings Off Flies:

Comment

Hmmmm. You are all making me feel old. My sons are 18 and 20 - still at home.

Comment

I wish I could listen to music, but I get too easily distracted.
            www.wesleysouthard.wordpress.com

Comment

I listen to whatever fits the mood of what I'm writing.. I have several playlists on my iPod.. "Instrumental", "Horror/Anger", "Love/Melancholy", etc etc etc...

I am currently working on a novel set during the Salem Witch Trials, so Rob Zombie has been a big time favorite.

Comment

NiN, Tool, APC, Metallica, so on, when I can write and need to set a mood.

Comment

Originally posted by Draven Ames View Post
                  NiN, Tool, APC, Metallica, so on, when I can write and need to set a mood.
                  Good choices
                  Website l Facebook l Author Page l Twitter l Instagram l Amazon

Comment

The older I get, the harder it is for me to write to music with lyrics. Especially catchy shit! Too much singing, too much air-drumming, too much rockin' out like a dummy and not enough writing! Haha.

So these days I typically listen to instrumental music or stuff that is really ambient and mellow, where the vocals are more ethereal, you know. I have a "writing" playlist which consists of the following bands/musicians:

Antimatter
                    Autumn Tears
                    Brendan Perry
                    Dark Sanctuary
                    Dead Can Dance
                    Delerium
                    Devin Townsend (his Devlab and The Hummer albums)
                    Hope Sandoval & The Warm Inventions
                    Lisa Gerrard
                    Mazzy Star
                    Michael Hedges (the instrumental stuff)
                    Nightwish (instrumental version of Dark Passion Play and a few other instrumentals)
                    Tim Reynolds (the mellow instrumental stuff, like The Limbic System)

Then I have a ton of random instrumental tracks, some classical stuff, the Star Wars trilogy box set (every song but the ridiculous "Ewok Celebration" nonsense—"Yub nub, eee chop yub nub," BLECH! Haha).
                    "Happy people have no stories" —Therapy?

The Eyesore Times | Shock Totem | Getcha Rocks Off

Comment

That is a list I will have to print out and check. Always into finding new music to groove to.

Comment

Originally posted by ozmosis7 View Post
                        That is a list I will have to print out and check. Always into finding new music to groove to.
                        Most of that is real mellow stuff, not a whole lotta groove.

Comment

Originally posted by Kenwood View Post
                          Most of that is real mellow stuff, not a whole lotta groove.
                          Cool with me. I like everything except for most country. I am only able to tolerate the deep voiced guys there, and a few of the ladies. I listen to Sinatra, and a lot of other crooners. There is a mood for every story, yes.

Today I listened to Dream Academy, Depeche Mode, Live (can't seem to break the kick I have for that group lately), NIN, Fugazi, Satriani, and my favorite--Pink Floyd.

Comment

Originally posted by ozmosis7 View Post
                            Cool with me. I like everything except for most country. I am only able to tolerate the deep voiced guys there, and a few of the ladies. I listen to Sinatra, and a lot of other crooners. There is a mood for every story, yes.

Today I listened to Dream Academy, Depeche Mode, Live (can't seem to break the kick I have for that group lately), NIN, Fugazi, Satriani, and my favorite--Pink Floyd.
                            Very cool. Here's my last 15 bands played, according to Last.fm: Motley Crue, The Sammus Theory, Wilson Gil & The Willful Sinners, Epica, Rusted Root, Into Eternity, Charlotte Martin, Atomic Rooster, Street Kid, Faith No More, Chaosfear, Day Of Fire, James Murphy, Iced Earth, and Jennifer Lee.

So as you can see, I have pretty broad tastes.

Comment

Hey, I like the taste of a "pretty broad" too, Ken. What a co inky dink!

Comment

Originally posted by randy d. Rubin View Post
                                hey, i like the taste of a "pretty broad" too, ken. What a co inky dink!
                                lol

Comment

Working...
                                X