Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What Do You Listen to While You Write?

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session
    I typically don't listen to music when I read or write, though the TV is often on. If you are a fan of Brian Keene, he has put out free soundtracks to listen to intended for listening to while reading particular books of his

Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour keithminnion's Avatar
    Nothing. Silence = focus. I can have the current sentence scribbling on the pad while the next three are already forming in my head. Drawing and painting, though, is mindless. I crank up YES, RUSH, King Crimson, Green Day very very LOUD!

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed Nik Houser's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldritch View Post
    Oingo Boingo/Danny Elfman nourishes much of my writing.
    When I'm writing the right kind of story, Elfman's perfect. I pretty much listened to his Serenada Schizophrenia non-stop while writing a story called "The Finger Gave Itself" about a prosthetic limb salesman whose wares turn on him. Gonna be published next year in an antho with Draven (forgive a little self-promo there!).

Quote Originally Posted by malestrom View Post
    I like listening to Gustav Holst when I write.
    The Planets? Hell yeah.

Quote Originally Posted by ozmosis7 View Post
    For me it adds background music to the little movie in my head. :P
    I know exactly what you mean. Perfectly put. For me, the best writing is often a transcription of that movie in my head, combined with insight into the heads of my characters.

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed Draven Ames's Avatar
    I will listen to music to pump me up before I write a scene, or if that song is in my scene. I do add music to my scenes a lot.

For longer pieces (10,000 words plus) I create a soundtrack. Playing it helps me get my head into the right space to work.

I also use scented candles - a unique scent for each project.

It works for me, particularly when I am jumping between stories.

KT

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed RJHubbard53's Avatar
    hmm...I turn Pandora to my Jack Johnson station and listen to whatever they serve up.

The better question should be "what do you DRINK while you write?"

my choice is always - ALWAYS - tequila. No, not shots. Sips.

Senior Member Hearing Voices ozmosis7's Avatar
    Seltzer for me. Once when I was 3 sheets to the wind so to say, I decided to write a few chapters. When I woke in the morning to edit them, I swear they might as well have been in Klingon.

Senior Member Inmate RichardThomas's Avatar
    Usually mellow background stuff. I've listened to a lot of Radiohead's IN RAINBOWS and old The Cure that I know so well I don't even hear the words to anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by RJHubbard53 View Post
    The better question should be "what do you DRINK while you write?"
    I have bad ADD, so I can't really write unless I'm sipping coffee throughout to keep me focused.

I don't know if it's true or not (though I suspect it is, since his research is so in-depth) but I read in Dan Simmons's DROOD that Charles Dickens often wrote in the family room, with kids everywhere. Wow.

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed Draven Ames's Avatar
    My computer is in the family room, where all my kids and family are. Surprised I ever get anything done.

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication C.W. LaSart's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Draven Ames View Post
    My computer is in the family room, where all my kids and family are. Surprised I ever get anything done.
    Same for me-I can't write without the tv on, because I'm not used to silence, but music distracts me. Most of writing is done with the 3 kids in the room with me, or after they go to bed with the tv on something mindless.

Draven with two kids and CW with three? You guys look too young to and not-ground-into-the-earth to have families. Shouldn't you have white hair and be husks of your former selves? As you can see from my profile picture, I'm aging quite well, too.

Strangely, I have discovered I can write while listening to, watching and even screaming at, hockey.

Go Canucks, Go.

:-)

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed Craig Wallwork's Avatar
    Mostly Warren Ellis/Nick Cave collaborations/scores. White Lunar is good, The Assignation of Jesse James, and The Road.

Member Part-timer
    Classic rock and alternative-Especially Pink Floyd the Conceptual-point /counterpoint years where Waters wrote-and Waters and Gilmour told Conceptual musical stories,while Mason and Wright held harmony,beat and atmosphere. I love progressive Rock. It is just my thing -i respect GREAT lyrics and a driving beat combined. The yin and Yang of Rock and Roll Genius. I miss Syd Barrett,and Richard Wright very much. Exuent en Pace. Peace at" The Clearing at The End of The Path" (sic Stephen king The Dark Tower) Beambounder. Hey King Crimson AKA The Crimson King. I think King likes some progressive stuff too. Well he recorded on one such CD anyway. Hey Ho,Let's Go-Gabba-Gabba-Hey,Hey Rest in Peace Lost -Ramones- Members .Thanks Joey Ramone for keeping it real. One of a Kind. Peace out-good question.

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed Craig Wallwork's Avatar
    I forgot to add too, that whenever possible, I don't listen to music. If I do, it's the aforementioned. For a while I would use those orange foam ear plugs people buy when travelling in a plane. Using a pair of those while writing allows you to hear the rumble of slience and your own heart. Figured if the beats increased, the prose was getting better.

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication C.W. LaSart's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nik Houser View Post
    Draven with two kids and CW with three? You guys look too young to and not-ground-into-the-earth to have families. Shouldn't you have white hair and be husks of your former selves? As you can see from my profile picture, I'm aging quite well, too.
    I bathe in the blood of virgins-it's tough to come by these days, but worth the anti-aging benefits! Actually, I'm 34 and plenty old enough for three kids