What Do You Listen to While You Write?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Draven Ames View Post
    I can't listen to music when I write. I've tried, but it distracts me.
    I second that!
    Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

For me it adds background music to the little movie in my head. If it isn't fitting to the work I'll change it though, but I can't stand total quiet. It makes me want to scream. Sometimes the music stops and I don't even know, then I start talking to my dogs because its so maddening. If they ever start answering me, you all have my permission to shoot me. :P
      Website l Facebook l Author Page l Twitter l Instagram l Amazon

Comment

Holst

I like listening to Gustav Holst when I write.

Comment

I used to be able to listen to music or even have the TV one when I was writing, but those days are long past for me. Now, when I do get a chance to write, the room needs to basically be quiet and distraction free. I kind of miss "rocking out" while writing...

Brian
          Brian James Freeman

Lividian Publications: http://www.Lividian.com
          My Writing: http://www.BrianJamesFreeman.com

Comment

Sometimes I find myself trying to tap the keys to the beat if I'm not careful LOL.

Comment

I typically don't listen to music when I read or write, though the TV is often on. If you are a fan of Brian Keene, he has put out free soundtracks to listen to intended for listening to while reading particular books of his
              WARNING!!! WARNING!!! DO NOT VIEW THIS SPOILER! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
              Spoiler!

Comment

Nothing. Silence = focus. I can have the current sentence scribbling on the pad while the next three are already forming in my head. Drawing and painting, though, is mindless. I crank up YES, RUSH, King Crimson, Green Day very very LOUD!

Comment

Originally posted by Eldritch View Post
                  Oingo Boingo/Danny Elfman nourishes much of my writing.
                  When I'm writing the right kind of story, Elfman's perfect. I pretty much listened to his Serenada Schizophrenia non-stop while writing a story called "The Finger Gave Itself" about a prosthetic limb salesman whose wares turn on him. Gonna be published next year in an antho with Draven (forgive a little self-promo there!).
                  www.nikhouser.com

Comment

Originally posted by malestrom View Post
                    I like listening to Gustav Holst when I write.
                    The Planets? Hell yeah.
                    www.nikhouser.com

Comment

Originally posted by ozmosis7 View Post
                      For me it adds background music to the little movie in my head. :P
                      I know exactly what you mean. Perfectly put. For me, the best writing is often a transcription of that movie in my head, combined with insight into the heads of my characters.
                      www.nikhouser.com

Comment

I will listen to music to pump me up before I write a scene, or if that song is in my scene. I do add music to my scenes a lot.

Comment

For longer pieces (10,000 words plus) I create a soundtrack. Playing it helps me get my head into the right space to work.

I also use scented candles - a unique scent for each project.

It works for me, particularly when I am jumping between stories.

KT

Comment

hmm...I turn Pandora to my Jack Johnson station and listen to whatever they serve up.

The better question should be "what do you DRINK while you write?"

my choice is always - ALWAYS - tequila. No, not shots. Sips.
                            It ain't braggin' if you can do it. . .

Comment

Seltzer for me. Once when I was 3 sheets to the wind so to say, I decided to write a few chapters. When I woke in the morning to edit them, I swear they might as well have been in Klingon.

Comment

Usually mellow background stuff. I've listened to a lot of Radiohead's IN RAINBOWS and old The Cure that I know so well I don't even hear the words to anymore.
                                FACEBOOK | TWITTER | BLOG | TRANSUBSTANTIATE | THE NERVOUS BREAKDOWN

Comment

Working...
                                X