Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RJHubbard53 View Post
    The better question should be "what do you DRINK while you write?"
    I have bad ADD, so I can't really write unless I'm sipping coffee throughout to keep me focused.
    www.nikhouser.com

Comment

I don't know if it's true or not (though I suspect it is, since his research is so in-depth) but I read in Dan Simmons's DROOD that Charles Dickens often wrote in the family room, with kids everywhere. Wow.
      www.nikhouser.com

Comment

My computer is in the family room, where all my kids and family are. Surprised I ever get anything done.

Comment

Originally posted by Draven Ames View Post
          My computer is in the family room, where all my kids and family are. Surprised I ever get anything done.
          Same for me-I can't write without the tv on, because I'm not used to silence, but music distracts me. Most of writing is done with the 3 kids in the room with me, or after they go to bed with the tv on something mindless.
          http://www.cwlasart.com/

Comment

Draven with two kids and CW with three? You guys look too young to and not-ground-into-the-earth to have families. Shouldn't you have white hair and be husks of your former selves? As you can see from my profile picture, I'm aging quite well, too.
            www.nikhouser.com

Comment

Strangely, I have discovered I can write while listening to, watching and even screaming at, hockey.

Go Canucks, Go.

:-)

Comment

Mostly Warren Ellis/Nick Cave collaborations/scores. White Lunar is good, The Assignation of Jesse James, and The Road.

Comment

Classic rock and alternative-Especially Pink Floyd the Conceptual-point /counterpoint years where Waters wrote-and Waters and Gilmour told Conceptual musical stories,while Mason and Wright held harmony,beat and atmosphere. I love progressive Rock. It is just my thing -i respect GREAT lyrics and a driving beat combined. The yin and Yang of Rock and Roll Genius. I miss Syd Barrett,and Richard Wright very much. Exuent en Pace. Peace at" The Clearing at The End of The Path" (sic Stephen king The Dark Tower) Beambounder. Hey King Crimson AKA The Crimson King. I think King likes some progressive stuff too. Well he recorded on one such CD anyway. Hey Ho,Let's Go-Gabba-Gabba-Hey,Hey Rest in Peace Lost -Ramones- Members .Thanks Joey Ramone for keeping it real. One of a Kind. Peace out-good question.

Comment

I forgot to add too, that whenever possible, I don't listen to music. If I do, it's the aforementioned. For a while I would use those orange foam ear plugs people buy when travelling in a plane. Using a pair of those while writing allows you to hear the rumble of slience and your own heart. Figured if the beats increased, the prose was getting better.

Comment

Originally posted by Nik Houser View Post
                      Draven with two kids and CW with three? You guys look too young to and not-ground-into-the-earth to have families. Shouldn't you have white hair and be husks of your former selves? As you can see from my profile picture, I'm aging quite well, too.
                      I bathe in the blood of virgins-it's tough to come by these days, but worth the anti-aging benefits! Actually, I'm 34 and plenty old enough for three kids

Comment

Originally posted by C.W. LaSart View Post
                        I bathe in the blood of virgins-it's tough to come by these days
                        LOL, awesome! Ya, I'm 41 and my kids are typically jumping on my back like it was a trampoline as I write. Then they whine and scream, "Daddy I'm bored," "Daddy it's my turn on the computer," "Daddy the house is on fire." It's always something with these kids.
                        Website l Facebook l Author Page l Twitter l Instagram l Amazon

Comment

Originally posted by ozmosis7 View Post
                          LOL, awesome! Ya, I'm 41 and my kids are typically jumping on my back like it was a trampoline as I write. Then they whine and scream, "Daddy I'm bored," "Daddy it's my turn on the computer," "Daddy the house is on fire." It's always something with these kids.
                          If there aren't kids on my back, it's one of the two dogs trying to climb into my lap(did I mention they are big dogs?) and once in awhile, my rat Booger likes to hang out on my shoulder while I'm at my desk-I can tune out anything!

Comment

I bathe in the blood of virgins-it's tough to come by these days, but worth the anti-aging benefits! Actually, I'm 34 and plenty old enough for three kids
                            Hahaha to the blood bathing. I wouldn't have guessed your age. My sons are 10 and 14. I started young.

Comment

Originally posted by ozmosis7 View Post
                              "Daddy it's my turn on the computer,"
                              My computer didn't come with turns.

You're 41? You look in your mid 30's, maybe. Bathing in blood too?

Comment

Never would have guessed from looking at your profile pic! Virgin's blood, who would have thought! Puts those expensive anti-aging cosmetics to shame!

I like to write in a quite atmosphere, no music, no tv (well, sometimes some music, but rarely)... Although with an 8 month baby boy to take care of, quite is something that is hard to come by these days, I'm guessing even rarer than the blood of virgin's.
                                Last edited by peteOcha; 06-13-2011, 10:31 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X