Page 22 of 24 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 LastLast

Thread: LetterPress Publications

Senior Member Inmate Marmaduke Grigsby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hocker View Post
    I can't really speak to the spots, as I haven't seen them in person, but has anyone tried wetting their finger and trying to rub them off? We had some cases with similar spots a couple years back (I can't remember which case) and the blemishes just wiped away. Not saying that that'll work here, but it's worth a shot.
    I just tried that and the spots remain. They seem to be raised blemishes in the leather itself.

Administrator Totally Insane Dan Hocker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmaduke Grigsby View Post
    I just tried that and the spots remain. They seem to be raised blemishes in the leather itself.
    Got it. It was worth a shot. I know a lot of people are a bit cagey about bringing moisture near their books, so they don't think to try.
    CD Email: danhocker@cemeterydance.com

Non-Work related social media and what not:
    Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmaduke Grigsby View Post
    Yes, I tried gently one spot upon receipt with the same result. The synthetic leather was irreparably damaged in production. It now sounds like it’s certainly more widespread than my lone copy, which is really unfortunate for Brian (and his customers) to experience on his debut release.
    Last edited by RonClinton; 01-27-2020 at 03:36 PM.

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement Ben Staad's Avatar
    Think of the amazing artwork that could be done with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    Duma Key could really use your attention, Brian

Junior Member Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Staad View Post
    Think of the amazing artwork that could be done with this.
    Francois Vaillancourt has already made some really stunning Duma Key art that he posted on a Stephen King Constant Reader page on Facebook.

It may feel fairly redundant but I would love Don Maitz do more with this story. I love his work. This is certainly nothing against Francois Vaillancourt work at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarhead View Post
    Francois Vaillancourt has already made some really stunning Duma Key art that he posted on a Stephen King Constant Reader page on Facebook.

Junior Member Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Staad View Post
    It may feel fairly redundant but I would love Don Maitz do more with this story. I love his work. This is certainly nothing against Francois Vaillancourt work at all.
    I really didn't care for the work Don Maitz did for The Stand from PS Publishing, but then again I'm not real familiar with any of his other work. However, Francois Vaillancourt's work in Revival was outstanding.

Administrator Ok, I really can't come up with anymore of these stupid things... Brian James Freeman's Avatar
    Got an answer back on those "spots" that showed up on a few of the books:

"The spots are areas of the cover material blistering from the extreme heat required for the Burnishing. We just checked the 100 extra boards we haven't recycled yet, and we found the issue on 4 of those, so the issue shouldn't be too widespread for the full print run."

There is a special coating that they can add to the stamping die the next time we use this line of material and do a burnishing effect, and that should prevent the issue completely.

Brian
    Brian James Freeman
    brianfreeman@cemeterydance.com

Cemetery Dance Publications: http://www.cemeterydance.com
    Lonely Road Books: http://www.lonelyroadbooks.com
    LetterPress Publications: http://www.LetterPressPublications.com
    My Writing: http://www.BrianJamesFreeman.com

Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? Martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian James Freeman View Post

"The spots are areas of the cover material blistering from the extreme heat required for the Burnishing. We just checked the 100 extra boards we haven't recycled yet, and we found the issue on 4 of those, so the issue shouldn't be too widespread for the full print run."

There is a special coating that they can add to the stamping die the next time we use this line of material and do a burnishing effect, and that should prevent the issue completely.

Brian
    Thank you for the update. I only have a few of the spots. I do not believe they will impact the health of the book. As long as that is the case I am happy with my copy.

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session jeffingoff's Avatar

Brian
    Thanks for the follow-through and the transparency! I have it a little bit as well, but not nearly as bad as Ron's and not enough for me to want a replacement or any remedy at all. I'm glad it's a problem that can be solved going forward. Really love this production, Brian and I'm so excited for what's next. I predict LET THE RIGHT ONE IN. That's my LP prediction.

Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly Brian861's Avatar

Brian
    I'm thinking this is now officially a variant.

Had to look it up. Not a Vampire enthusiast but may be tempted because of the quality of the first book. Either way, and whatever is published, I will certainly give whatever a hard look.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post
    Thanks for the follow-through and the transparency! I have it a little bit as well, but not nearly as bad as Ron's and not enough for me to want a replacement or any remedy at all. I'm glad it's a problem that can be solved going forward. Really love this production, Brian and I'm so excited for what's next. I predict LET THE RIGHT ONE IN. That's my LP prediction.

Junior Member Visitor
    Still no shipping notice. Or maybe the book will arrive before the shipping notice. That has happened before.

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    I'm thinking this is now officially a variant.
    Unfortunately it’s a variant ;-) that I no longer own...I returned mine to my dealer for a refund.

Thanks for the explanation and transparency, Brian, and I’m glad to hear your printer may have a potential solution for the next time around (if you choose to do the imprint design again).

Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? Martin's Avatar
    Although this is not a democracy, and the decision was probably made long ago, I vote for By Reason of Insanity from Shane Stevens! I need to read this again and think my paperback may crumble with one more read!

Quote Originally Posted by joejets View Post
    Still no shipping notice. Or maybe the book will arrive before the shipping notice. That has happened before.
    We're still working our way through. Should hopefully be done today, it'll be close.

Instagram

FYI we're pretty much in the home stretch. Basically 98% shipped. The last bit will ship on Monday though. None of the help are in tomorrow and I need to start the prep work for the next thing on the list so they aren't twiddling their thumbs when they finish up Revival on Monday morning.

Most everyone should be getting their notices today though. Only people that won't get notices until Monday are anyone who ordered more than one copy and maybe a handful of stragglers.

Instagram

That's all well and good but I'm going to need Mr. Freeman to announce his next book.

Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? bookworm 1's Avatar
    UP State NY the real upstate north of Albany
    That's all well and good but I'm going to need Mr. Freeman to announce his next book.
    He did.... The complete short stories of Bentley Little. Actually I have mixed feelings about the next book. If you are correct and it's Let The Right One In I'm going to be on the fence. I loved the story but it was very dark and the subject matter was borderline to crossing a line.

Quote Originally Posted by bookworm 1 View Post
    He did.... The complete short stories of Bentley Little. Actually I have mixed feelings about the next book. If you are correct and it's Let The Right One In I'm going to be on the fence. I loved the story but it was very dark and the subject matter was borderline to crossing a line.
    If it's Bentley Little, I won't see it. I've had a neural blocker installed in my brain that erases his books from my view. It's going to be weird when I get the Bentley Little Little Book but there's no way around it. The surgery is expensive but a lot less stressful than seeing Bentley Little books in the world. Also, they better do something clever with the title of the Bentley Little Little book--like calling it A Little Crappy Brown Book of Little Little Stories--or something more clever.

I've only heard generally good things about Let the Right One In. I think as long as the next LP book is not a Little book, I'll buy it.

And with that in mind, I have to ask Brian, will any LP books be numbered? Are you going to set the print run the same way as you set it for Revival? Because right now, I don't have a number to protect so it's easier to cherry pick and pass on books.