Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 27 of 27

Thread: April - How Many?

  1. #21
    Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,168
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by sholloman81 View Post
    On a side note- I do wish people would stop comparing any story with a group of kids in it to Stephen King’s “IT”.
    Amen, brother. I understand that IT is a touchstone for a lot people, but the reference does get tiresome.

  2. #22
    Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,168
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by RonClinton View Post
    Tried reading the Malerman LITTLE BOOK tonight. Just godawful. And Borderlands’ copyediting sure isn’t getting any better... A disappointment all the way around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    I was fine with the story ideas but the execution was lacking. The copy errors were a little distracting.
    I've been finding this issue more and more troublesome. I was irritated when A Little Orange Book of Ornery Stories by Ed Gorman had been "Ampersand'ed to death" during The Brasher Girl, but was more so when reading Laird Barron's A Little Brown Book of Burials. I was nearing the end of the story "DT" when the last sentence was "Her head swam as it had that night at the bar and her bizarre encounter with the stranger and she covered"...and that was it. I've never read the story before, so I have no comparison as to if this is the way the story actually ends, but I was left rather confused and frustrated. ***EDIT: From what I have gathered from the interwebs, this is how the story is supposed to end. My confusion and frustration with this story are now transferred from Borderlands to Mr. Barron.***

    I know the books are not expensive in Limited Edition terms, but they should at least be readable. All of this has had me thinking about selling off my set.
    Last edited by Sock Monkey; 05-07-2019 at 04:04 PM.

  3. #23
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement mhatchett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Richmond, Va
    Posts
    1,567
    Rep Power
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
    Amen, brother. I understand that IT is a touchstone for a lot people, but the reference does get tiresome.
    I guess because I'm older, any story with a group of kids gets compared to"Our Gang" LOl!!!

  4. #24
    Senior Member Hearing Voices
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    WA State
    Posts
    1,419
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
    I've been finding this issue more and more troublesome. I was irritated when A Little Orange Book of Ornery Stories by Ed Gorman had been "Ampersand'ed to death" during The Brasher Girl, but was more so when reading Laird Barron's A Little Brown Book of Burials. I was nearing the end of the story "DT" when the last sentence was "Her head swam as it had that night at the bar and her bizarre encounter with the stranger and she covered"...and that was it. I've never read the story before, so I have no comparison as to if this is the way the story actually ends, but I was left rather confused and frustrated. ***EDIT: From what I have gathered from the interwebs, this is how the story is supposed to end. My confusion and frustration with this story are now transferred from Borderlands to Mr. Barron.***

    I know the books are not expensive in Limited Edition terms, but they should at least be readable. All of this has had me thinking about selling off my set.
    No, the Barron collection was erroneously truncated by Borderlands. I have the errata sheet I can take a photo of for you if you’d like a copy... :-)

    Edit: Actually, I just found it for you… here you go. I just printed out the page, folded it, and laid it in the book. https://lairdbarron.wordpress.com/errata/
    Last edited by RonClinton; 05-07-2019 at 08:53 PM.

  5. #25
    Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,168
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by RonClinton View Post
    No, the Barron collection was erroneously truncated by Borderlands. I have the errata sheet I can take a photo of for you if you’d like a copy... :-)

    Edit: Actually, I just found it for you… here you go. I just printed out the page, folded it, and laid it in the book. https://lairdbarron.wordpress.com/errata/
    Hey, thanks! I had read somewhere that indicated that the story ended somewhat unfinished so I assumed this was on purpose. To what extent, I don't know. But at least this clarifies it a bit. Thanks for the heads up and the link!

  6. #26
    Senior Member Hearing Voices
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    WA State
    Posts
    1,419
    Rep Power
    13
    You bet, glad to help.

  7. #27
    Senior Member Lobotomized Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    5,627
    Rep Power
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by sholloman81 View Post
    Here are my 7 books for the month.

    Don Winslow – The Border (8/10) Third book in trilogy. All three books were great; however, this was probably my least favorite of the three. Felt as if this book should have been about 200 pages shorter. Still, a great end to this series.

    Joe Lansdale – Elephant of Surprise (7/10) I will always like the Hap & Leonard novels due to Joe Lansdale’s voice; however, if I’m being honest, this one felt a bit rote to me. If you’ve read the last few, then you read this one.

    Josh Malerman - Birdbox (8.5/10) This was a reread for me. Liked it just as much, if not more, the second time around. Am interested to see what he will do with the sequel. Hopefully, it isn’t a money-grab due to the popularity of the Netflix movie.

    Josh Malerman – On This, The Day of the Pig (8/10) Enjoyed this one a lot. One of the more unique mind-control stories I have read. What a mean pig!

    Josh Malerman - Inspection (7.5/10) Was torn with this one. Didn’t really enjoy the first half of the book; however, once the 2nd half of the novel kicks off, I couldn’t put it down. I think what saved this one for me was the complete uniqueness of the story. Never read a story quite like this. Would make a great movie.

    CJ Tudor – The Chalk Man (8.5/10) This one lived up to the hype for me. Really enjoyed the story. Much bleaker than I thought it was going to be. On a side note- I do wish people would stop comparing any story with a group of kids in it to Stephen King’s “IT”.

    Christopher Golden - Ararat (8/10) This one was also reread for me. Just as good the 2nd time. Am hoping the sequel, “The Pandora Room”, will be even better. I believe “The Pandora Room” will be my first May read.
    Ararat has intrigued me for quite some time and I keep hearing good things about The Chalk Man. I may have to give these a try.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •