An update from me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An update from me

After almost 23 years I have left the Night Audit graveyard shift. It seemed to me that I was just barely coping with sleeping in the day time. As I stayed in night audit for years I think I became a very light sleeper and it simply didn't take much to awake me and disturb my sleep. Two friends meeting in the parking lot and stopping to have a chit chat session could wake me up. I tried a white noise machine--That doesn't work for me. I used ear plugs for 4 - 4 1/2 years until I had a problem using the ear plugs. I could still do the actual work with no problem. I just needed a change and to see the sunlight again while working. Thinking about spending another year in night audit upset me and I really tried to not think about it. After the problems here last year the concessionaire really cut labor hours and jobs. One night auditor at the unit where I work was laid off. A second night auditor at my unit workplace came really, really close to being laid off. I was okay because I had the Lead position. I now work at the Front Desk and am happy to report I enjoy sleeping at night.
    Some pictures I took. Genevieve Valentine has become a favorite author (The Icon and Persona books). The Lone Ranger cookie jar is new. I'd wanted one for a while, but they're hard to acquire and generally not cheap.

Steve (AKA Cap)

P1000488.jpgP1000486.jpgP1000487.jpgP1000467.jpgP1000469.jpgP1000465.jpg
    Last edited by c marvel; 04-18-2019, 10:29 PM. Reason: Trying to post pictures
    Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Glad things are working out for you, Steve. I worked nights for a few months when I was in my twenties, but I wouldn't want to do that now

I was a big Lone Ranger fan when I was a kid. I had the action figure for years, before it got passed down to my younger brothers.

These pics show some of the Western magazines I used to get on vacation as a kid. For some reason, the small camp store in Barleycove, Co. Cork sold these for a few pennies each. I never saw them for sale anywhere else.

P1090908.jpg

P1090907.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Dave1442397 View Post
      Glad things are working out for you, Steve. I worked nights for a few months when I was in my twenties, but I wouldn't want to do that now

I was a big Lone Ranger fan when I was a kid. I had the action figure for years, before it got passed down to my younger brothers.

These pics show some of the Western magazines I used to get on vacation as a kid. For some reason, the small camp store in Barleycove, Co. Cork sold these for a few pennies each. I never saw them for sale anywhere else.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21444[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21443[/ATTACH]
      Very interesting magazines. I used to have all of the juvenile Lone Ranger novels, except one, by Fran Striker. I also had 5 or 6 Lone Ranger Big Little Books and 3 or 4 Lone Ranger storybooks. I had to donate all of these when my Mom sold her house approx. 20 years ago. Now I have one issue of Blood 'N' Thunder that feat. a Lone Ranger article. I just ordered a second issue of Blood 'N' Thunder that tells how the two Lone Ranger chapter play serial movies were made. The first one from 1938, The Lone Ranger -released by Republic Pictures- made over 1.1 million in worldwide revenue. Think about it. A chapter play serial movie did that. I did find a copy of Fran Striker's biography His Typewriter Grew Spurs. The biography tells how much Fran Striker received to sell his rights to the Lone Ranger character and the figure Fran Striker was paid is pitiful.

Cap
      Last edited by c marvel; 04-19-2019, 03:01 AM. Reason: Correct typos/add info.
      Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Comment

I worked a horrible shift for over a decade. During that time I'd work from 2am until 1pm. I was constantly tired and my weekend nights ended far earlier than everyone else's. There were times on Friday nights if I was up for close to 24hours I'd start speaking gibberish. I think that was the inspiration for my YouTube channel actually. Working those odd/night shifts sucks. You feel completely out of step with the world.

Those collections are so cool!! Not a big fan of westerns, but those look like a lot of fun.

Comment

I'm happy for Cap and everyone that managed to get off of lousy night shift work. After high-school I worked a little over a year working 3rd shift (11 pm-7 am). It was rough, and similar to Jeff, Fridays (which usually crept into Saturday mornings) would turn me into a some type of shuffling zombie. I'm positive that I couldn't hack that type of work anymore as I could barely handle it as an 18 year old.

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
          I worked a horrible shift for over a decade. During that time I'd work from 2am until 1pm. I was constantly tired and my weekend nights ended far earlier than everyone else's. There were times on Friday nights if I was up for close to 24hours I'd start speaking gibberish. I think that was the inspiration for my YouTube channel actually. Working those odd/night shifts sucks. You feel completely out of step with the world.

Those collections are so cool!! Not a big fan of westerns, but those look like a lot of fun.
          Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Happy for you as well, Cap that you've found something more suitable for ya. I've worked all over the clock, including on call, having been prior military and police. I love my schedule now which is from 4 PM to ??, not to exceed 12 hours. I'm not a morning person at all and not having to wake up to an alarm clock is golden. Plus, it bodes well for my nightowlness.

Comment

I worked nights for 15 years. I loved it at first but toward the end I was a miserable human being when not at work because I barely slept the last 3 years. I was on nights. The last 4 years in a different job ( while keeping the old job and working on my off days from the new job) have been great. Even though I'M up at 4am . The summers are hard as I have a third job I work at the local performing arts center. So concerts during the week mean getting done around midnight and up by 4am. Some would say I'm crazy. My family knows I am.

Comment

Did overnights for 4 years a while back, it was an extremely physical job that I enjoyed due to the mindlessness. 23 years is a long trip, welcome to the daytime Cap.

Comment

When I was in the Army, I usually jumped on nightshifts whenever possible, fewer people around to bother you, the shifts ran 6PM-6AM. As a long term employment option it wouldn't work for me, I'm an early to bed early to rise guy. A friend of mine worked the nightshift for 35 years at Alcoa. He liked that better than the rotating shifts when people would work half the year one shift and then change to another.

Comment

Working...
                  X