Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(Motorcycle) Spring is offically here and the sun is starting to stick around...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dave1442397 View Post
    I had a couple of years where I put more miles on the bike than on my car

I do a lot of group rides around here for fun and exercise, but I love riding around scenic areas. I see so much more than I do when I'm driving. My favorite rides have been in the Lake Tahoe area...so much to see out there.

This one was 133 miles with almost 10,000 feet of climbing. Incline Village - Carson City - Jacks Valley Road to the top of Carson Pass, then back around the lake to Incline. Amazing scenery.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21376[/ATTACH]
    I don't have a bike that could withstand that, but that sounds like HEAVEN.

Comment

Wow, that does look like a great riding area...must be beautiful. My wife and I had an itch a couple years ago to get bicycles and do some riding, and we never did follow up on it. Should have...I imagine the right bike in the right area makes for a wonderful afternoon.
      Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
        Wow, that does look like a great riding area...must be beautiful. My wife and I had an itch a couple years ago to get bicycles and do some riding, and we never did follow up on it. Should have...I imagine the right bike in the right area makes for a wonderful afternoon.
        I like it because I can stop pretty much anywhere to take in the views.

The east shore of the lake is mostly preserved because George Whittell owned most of it at one time. You can see his house peeking thru the trees in this pic, and the entrance to his underground boathouse, which is reached via a tunnel from the house. The boat itself is a Tahoe icon - https://www.yachtingmagazine.com/thu...d-legend-lives

Thunderbird.jpg

Comment

Gorgeous view!

Comment

Agreed -- stunning.
            Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
              Need to practice hiking at elevation. It is very different and can kick your but.
              That's what tomorrow will be the start of. I'm still just trying to get used to elevation. Being in Colorado before at a max of four days it wasn't so bad (plus it was work conferences which means you didn't do much physical activity) but now that I live here I'm still trying to adapt. Running isn't too bad - but damn, take the stairs at work to the third floor kick my ass every day.

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
              Okay, now that’s pretty funny...I’m sadly not surprised, but still amused.
              I'm sure I had a WTF look every time I was asked about this. I get wondering about diving at night, but the rain . . . some people are a little slow.

Originally posted by One eyed cat View Post
              Not surprised at all, live near the ocean and whenever it rains I see tourist running for shore. Been 11 years and it's still ridiculous to me every time I see it.
              They may not like getting wet. Or they're gremlins.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
                I get out of the pool when it rains.
                That's different though. Lightning isn't something to risk.

Comment

It's time to get back outside on my bike. I've been mostly using the indoor trainer since the end of November due to all the cold/rain/wind we've had since then.

I have 20,581 miles on this one so far.
                  That is IMPRESSIVE! I'm on awe. Plus reading about that Tahoe ride - damn.

Where I went to high school at used to have this two-day bike ride - not sure if they still do - but it started in Death Valley and went to Whitney Portal. (Checks Wikipedia - the bike race starts at Badwater Basin which sits at 279 feet below sea level, and rides 136 miles to Whitney Portal which is at 8360 feet above sea level.)

And if that doesn't sound crazy enough - same route is RAN as the Badwater Ultramarathon.

Comment

Hiking and camper camping. I cannot hike like I used to, due to knee and joint issues, but I still can make it on shorter 4-6 mile outings.

We broke out the camper a few months ago (think I may have already posted this somewhere) and it just happened to be in the 20s. Cold outing.

Camping 1 of 2019 Magnolia Branch.jpg
                    Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
                      I get out of the pool when it rains.
                      Ha. Understandable as pools can get slippery when wet.

Comment

I like it because I can stop pretty much anywhere to take in the views.

The east shore of the lake is mostly preserved because George Whittell owned most of it at one time. You can see his house peeking thru the trees in this pic, and the entrance to his underground boathouse, which is reached via a tunnel from the house. The boat itself is a Tahoe icon - [url]https://www.yachtingmagazine.com/thunderbird-legend-lives

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21377[/ATTACH]
                        Just Amazing. How long does the 133 mile trip take?

Comment

Ha. Understandable as pools can get slippery when wet.
                          I thought that was only Bon Jovi.

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
                            That is IMPRESSIVE! I'm on awe. Plus reading about that Tahoe ride - damn.

Where I went to high school at used to have this two-day bike ride - not sure if they still do - but it started in Death Valley and went to Whitney Portal. (Checks Wikipedia - the bike race starts at Badwater Basin which sits at 279 feet below sea level, and rides 136 miles to Whitney Portal which is at 8360 feet above sea level.)

And if that doesn't sound crazy enough - same route is RAN as the Badwater Ultramarathon.
                            I've read about that Ultramarathon! The guy I was reading about said that the first time he ran it, he was running on the blacktop and the soles of his sneakers got so hot they separated from the uppers. He said you have to run on the white lines as much as possible to reduce the effects of the temperature on your shoes. Not for me, thank you

Comment

Just Amazing. How long does the 133 mile trip take?
                              I take it easy on these rides. I stopped for brunch, a couple of soda breaks, and of course stopped to enjoy the views.

Moving time was 7:55, but total time was 10:14.

One of the reasons I take it easy is that I live at sea level, and this ride goes from around 4500ft to 8500ft. That oxygen deficit makes a big difference.

Tahoe_02.jpg

Comment

Image what you could do, Dave with oxygen strapped to your back

Comment

Working...
                                X