Richard Chizmar special edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Richard Chizmar special edition

I hope it's okay to ask about this and I don't see a topic for this Richard Chizmar special edition. What are French flaps and deckled edges? (Did I get the second term right?)

Cap
    Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Originally posted by c marvel View Post
    I hope it's okay to ask about this and I don't see a topic for this Richard Chizmar special edition. What are French flaps and deckled edges? (Did I get the second term right?)

Cap
    I am passing on this since I have the limited from PS. That one arrived last week and I am just beginning to read it. If it is anything like A Long December I am in for a great read.

Deckled edges are simply rough cut edges on the outside of the book. William Morrow gave a couple of Joe Hill's Novels this treatment.
    Deckled Edges.jpg

French Flaps are similar to what you would see on a hardbound dust jacket. On a paperback they usually contain the same type of information but it is not used to hold a jacket to the book. I have encountered these on paperbacks but they appear to be rare. I really like the information contained so I appreciate them.
    French Flaps.jpg

Comment

I'm a fan of deckled edges and wish more publishers would use it in their productions.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
        I'm a fan of deckled edges and wish more publishers would use it in their productions.
        Honestly I'm surprised we're even doing them. Whenever we sell a mass market book that has them there's always tons of people who think they got a damaged book.
        CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
        Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
          Honestly I'm surprised we're even doing them. Whenever we sell a mass market book that has them there's always tons of people who think they got a damaged book.
          The only book I have that has them is DOLORES CLAIBORNE. Personally, I am NOT a fan. I like the solid, clean edges. I am a sucker for sprayed edges or top edge stain. I'm a stupid sucker for those.

Comment

I think the first time I saw that was on a Piers Anthony hard cover in the early 80s and I did think it was a mistake at first. I like them now.

Comment

I like them on a strictly collectible book, but not for a book I plan to read.

Comment

Originally posted by Marmaduke Grigsby View Post
                I think a bunch of my mass market Terry Brooks THC's have them. The last book we sold that had them I think was a hardcover of Joyland. I can't remember if that was the regular THC or the illustrated edition.
                CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
                Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

I do not have a strong opinion on deckled edges. They look fine, but will not sway me one way or another. They do not give me a different tactile experience when reading the book. The French flaps on a paperback are something I really like though.

Comment

Here’s another example:
                    https://twitter.com/ron_clinton/stat...833975296?s=21
                    Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

I like the feel of them. I am very touchy feely.
                      Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
                        The only book I have that has them is DOLORES CLAIBORNE. Personally, I am NOT a fan. I like the solid, clean edges. I am a sucker for sprayed edges or top edge stain. I'm a stupid sucker for those.
                        When I read that you didn't care for deckled edges, I immediately unsubscribed from your YouTube channel. I thought, I just can't be associated with a guy like that in anyway, shape, or form. Then, I came back and read the rest of your post. We can be friends again now because I'm nuts about sprayed edges and top stain.

Originally posted by Marmaduke Grigsby View Post
                        I'd place myself in that camp as well.

Comment

Light some candles, put on some Barry, and enjoy those Deckled edges. I think you may change your mind.

When I read that you didn't care for deckled edges, I immediately unsubscribed from your YouTube channel. I thought, I just can't be associated with a guy like that in anyway, shape, or form. Then, I came back and read the rest of your post. We can be friends again now because I'm nuts about sprayed edges and top stain.

I'd place myself in that camp as well.
                          Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Glad to see I redeemed myself!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
                              Light some candles, put on some Barry, and enjoy those Deckled edges. I think you may change your mind.

Obviously there's a lot of passion for deckled edges in this forum!

Comment

Working...
                              X