New Bookcases

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
    I went with the doors mostly because of dust issues but I also think that doors on a bookcase just look super nice. There are a ton of hacks on the internet for Billy bookcases that will spruce them up quite a bit especially if you aren't putting doors on them and are willing to do a little extra work.

Here's picture of one of those hacks that I really like:
    There are a number plans on-line to make your own Billy style bookcases - no frills basic shelving - that look pretty simple too. That way you'd be able to fill pretty much any sized space.

I really love the Billy shelves with doors - my wife and I have talked about that but just never pulled the trigger.

Yours still look great - especially with the lights and the upgraded hardware. We have too many books to leave a shelf empty like you, so we'd fill up every inch of those shelves.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
      Nice choice on bookshelves. I have always drooled over those shelves. Are they fairly easy to assemble?
      Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
      I've heard that they are/can be a PITA to assemble.
      Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post
      Every bookcase that I've owned has been IKEA Billy bookcases and I've never had any issues putting them together myself. So I think they're pretty simple.

Since we were building three units all the extras, I really expected it to be a miserable experience. I am not mechanically inclined and my wife and I usually approach projects in two different ways. But once you get used to reading the instructions--they are all in pictorial format which can kinda be confusing--it was super easy. It did take a full day to get all three shelves built with the extensions and the doors.

The doors were by far the hardest part because you have to get the spacing right and adjust accordingly. I still need to tweak them a bit to get them just right. But I don't think they are too difficult. I'd buy them again with no problem.

Comment

Originally posted by TacomaDiver View Post

Yours still look great - especially with the lights and the upgraded hardware. We have too many books to leave a shelf empty like you, so we'd fill up every inch of those shelves.
        Once we all got it put together and the books in, my wife was asked if I was going to stop buying books once the shelves are full. I have to admit that I did look at her like she was from another planet. The display shelves are a luxury of space that I might not always have.

I do have all my paperbacks stashed in another unit in the house with shelves packed three to four deep. Those I keep tucked away 'cause they aren't that pretty.

Comment

Originally posted by khaos View Post
          . All my wife's wants for the new house come first.
          This here is the most truth ever spoken.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
            I have never snapped any photos with the lights. Will try to get a few this weekend.
            Cool. I'm interested in seeing what it looks like.

Comment

Originally posted by khaos View Post
              Yeah. I've been stuck between doing some of that or going crazy and seeing if I could build something. In a better world I'd get my dad to help but I'm better off not talking to him. I'm lucky that I have two decent sized walls I can fill with shelves but that also means more cost to buy them. All my wife's wants for the new house come first.
              That does not change when the house is no longer new. When I began transitioning the bookcases in the den my wife wondered why I was buying bookcases to go where I already had bookcases. Once they were done she liked them so much she asked when I would be replacing the rest.

Comment

Once we all got it put together and the books in, my wife was asked if I was going to stop buying books once the shelves are full. I have to admit that I did look at her like she was from another planet. The display shelves are a luxury of space that I might not always have.

I do have all my paperbacks stashed in another unit in the house with shelves packed three to four deep. Those I keep tucked away 'cause they aren't that pretty.
                My wife surrendered and has stopped asking if I am going to stop adding books.

Comment

I've been out of my house for 6 months now and one of the very first things I'm doing to move back in is build a BESTA Ikea shelving system. it's going to hold just about all my books as well as other media like TV and game systems. I might add doors over the book shelf portions. Seeing this thread just makes me so impatient for the day I can share pics of my library.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
                    I've been out of my house for 6 months now and one of the very first things I'm doing to move back in is build a BESTA Ikea shelving system. it's going to hold just about all my books as well as other media like TV and game systems. I might add doors over the book shelf portions. Seeing this thread just makes me so impatient for the day I can share pics of my library.
                    I am sure it will be a big relief to be back in your house. Plus, then we don't have to worry about you getting arrested for breaking into unoccupied homes to shoot your unboxing videos!

Comment

I’m giving serious thought to going to ikea after work to buy glass doors. Must control myself ...

I need to first figure out my book case situation before I start buying accessories.

Comment

Each bookcase with extension will hold roughly 200 books plus or minus depending on size of books. That's also if you don't use a whole shelf for the display shelves like I did.
                        My fancy bookcase is full before I even by it!

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                          I am sure it will be a big relief to be back in your house. Plus, then we don't have to worry about you getting arrested for breaking into unoccupied homes to shoot your unboxing videos!
                          I think he should embark on a nationwide tour to unbox in a home near you.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
                            I think he should embark on a nationwide tour to unbox in a home near you.
                            Coming to a town near you.. The Great Unboxing Jeff!

Comment

Originally posted by WebInterceptor View Post
                              As long as that’s significantly less creepy than Boxing Helena ...

Comment

Originally posted by WebInterceptor View Post
                                The new series on TLC: UNINVITED UNBOXING. First he unopens the door, then he unboxes his treasures!

Comment

Working...
                                X