Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Bookcases

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session Sock Monkey's Avatar

New Bookcases

After a little too much money and over the course of about a month, I finally finished putting together my "reading room" along with my new bookcases! I've been wanting something nicer than what I've had for quite some time, but we were finally able to afford it.

IMG_1912 (2).jpg
    IMG_1916 (2).jpg

My reading area:
    IMG_1901 (2).jpg
    Last edited by Sock Monkey; 03-31-2019 at 01:25 AM.

Here's a few more pictures of the room in general.
    My movie collection:
    IMG_1918 (4).jpg

I co-opted the closet and had a buddy help me build the shelving. You can't see it in the picture, but the shelves go to the ceiling. The only thing I regret is that we chose to repaint the room after we put in the shelves and I just don't want to go through the hassle of trying to paint around them.

Here's the desk area:

IMG_1921 (2).jpg

Here's a better picture of the posters. Mr. Chadbourne's Carrie print is in the center, flanked on either side by some minimalist posters of a few of my favorite movies:

IMG_1922 (2).jpg

Up close picture of a minimalist LOST poster that I've had forever but never got around to putting up:

IMG_1923 (2).jpg

And final shot of the last wall. Captain America always reminds me of my youth, so I had to have this:

IMG_1925 (2).jpg

And a hat rack with a couple of bookends. The book is an old copy of Ghost Story by Peter Straub. It is opened up to display what I think is some of the best opening lines of a book:

"What was the worst thing you've ever done?
    I won't tell you that, but I'll tell you the worst thing that ever happened to me...the most dreadful thing..."

IMG_1924 (2).jpg

And just for fun: My dog deciding to use my old typewriter as a what had to be a very uncomfortable pillow:

IMG_1932 (2).jpg

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement jeffingoff's Avatar
    Fantastic space!! I'd never leave that room. Thanks for sharing with us!

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    That looks just spectacular…enjoy your time there (looks like your dog is already ;-)).

Senior Member Lobotomized Martin's Avatar
    Fantastic reading room, thanks for sharing the photos and congratulations!

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement mhatchett's Avatar
    Really nice! Thanks for sharing your Treasure Room!!

Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly Brian861's Avatar
    That's awesome, Keith! Gotta love dogs. They will literally lie on anything. Mine prefers the TV remote for some reason If you win that bid, you're gonna need a bigger room though

I also thought Annie might be holding you captive there with the typewriter and all. It's a great place to be hole up though.

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement Ben Staad's Avatar
    Congrats on the space. Lovely space and great bookcases. Looks like a wonderful place to enjoy a good book.

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication TacomaDiver's Avatar
    The whole room looks great! LOVE the shelves! I would need probably 3x or 4x the number of shelves to house all of our books.

I'm still waiting for the dedicated reading room - hopefully the next time I move (which hopefully will be the last time I move . . .) we will get that dedicated space. We're close - but it's not quite there.

And I love the idea of co-opting the closet to store your movies (and behind curtains too!) That's a good idea for future space.

Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? bookworm 1's Avatar
    UP State NY the real upstate north of Albany
    Love the room. Every book lovers dream is to have a space like that. Congratulations.

Thanks, everyone! I'm really happy with the way it turned out. Now I'm hoping I'll be able to carve out more time to spend in there and not so much time at work!

Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour goathunter's Avatar
    Beautiful!

Hunter

Junior Member Visitor
    sock monkey - what kind of shelves are those? Where did you purchase them? Gorgeous!

Quote Originally Posted by kresby View Post
    sock monkey - what kind of shelves are those? Where did you purchase them? Gorgeous!
    Not meaning to speak for him but they look like Billy Bookcases from Ikea.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Not meaning to speak for him but they look like Billy Bookcases from Ikea.
    Quote Originally Posted by kresby View Post
    Yep, it's the Ikea special! The bookshelves are the Billy Bookcases, with the added glass door and height extensions with glass doors as well, which I think makes a big difference in the appearance. The lights are the Urshult LED cabinet lights.

I also upgraded the door knobs. The glass doors come with pretty plain peg knobs so I switched them out for these silver ones. I was on the fence about how they were going to look as I was afraid it would be too modern looking, but I'm really glad I did as they match well with the LED lights.

IMG_2018 (2).jpg

The middle display shelves are the Bottna display shelves but they only come in beige, red, blue, and green (kinda weird choices, I think) so I bought three and spray painted them an oil rubbed bronze color. I also trimmed some black furniture pads and put them on the shelves' lip to give a little cushion for the books to rest on.

IMG_2016 (3).jpg
    IMG_2013 (3).jpg
    IMG_2017 (2).jpg

Overall, though they took quite a bit of time to put together, I'm really happy with the results.

Quote Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
    Yep, it's the Ikea special! The bookshelves are the Billy Bookcases, with the added glass door and height extensions with glass doors as well, which I think makes a big difference in the appearance. The lights are the Urshult LED cabinet lights.

I also upgraded the door knobs. The glass doors come with pretty plain peg knobs so I switched them out for these silver ones. I was on the fence about how they were going to look as I was afraid it would be too modern looking, but I'm really glad I did as they match well with the LED lights.

IMG_2018 (2).jpg

The middle display shelves are the Bottna display shelves but they only come in beige, red, blue, and green (kinda weird choices, I think) so I bought three and spray painted them an oil rubbed bronze color. I also trimmed some black furniture pads and put them on the shelves' lip to give a little cushion for the books to rest on.

IMG_2016 (3).jpg
    IMG_2013 (3).jpg
    IMG_2017 (2).jpg

Overall, though they took quite a bit of time to put together, I'm really happy with the results.
    I have my den partially converted to these bookcases and I love them. Unfortunately the ceiling in my room is just a tiny bit too short for the extensions. I have LED lights inside the cabinet and a glass shelf for the top shelf. The doors do a great job of keeping the books from collecting dust. At some point I will get the rest of the room converted to these as well.

Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly Brian861's Avatar
    Wouldn't mind upgrading to that setup myself. About how many books does it hold, Keith?

Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour
    Thanks for the info. Yours look great. I've been contemplating a set of these in white for my new library. I like the doors on yours, never thought about going with them.