No announcement yet.

srboone's collection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very nice. Love the artwork and the backstory.
    Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Originally posted by srboone View Post
      Thanks, Siep! Sorry to blow you off like that in the EP thread, but I could resist this monster post.
      No problem whatsoever, squire!

sk

Comment

A recent book from CD:

DSCF5013 (300x400).jpgDSCF5021 (295x400).jpg

Another great cover from Vincent Chong (his Picking the Bones cover is still my favorite CD cover).

And a stop at B&N yielded this:

DSCF5023 (295x400).jpg

I haven't read To Kill a Mockingbird yet, but it's on my TBR.
        "I'm a vegan. "

---Kirby Bliss Blanton , The Green Inferno (2013)

Comment

Finally, I received a trilogy I discovered on GoodReads. The first book was a GR giveaway win. The second and third books were given to me in PDF format by the author, but I have a l....just a hate/hate relationship with ebooks, so I bought them.

DSCF5025 (400x300).jpg

Actually, theres aren't the books I bought. I liked the series so much that I asked the author for a PO Box to send my copies to for him to sign; but the author just sent me three signed copies. I was one of the first to review The Northern Star: The Beginning (who wasn't a friend or family member) and the author said that gave him the moral support to finish telling the tale.

Cool!

DSCF5026 (300x400).jpgDSCF5028 (300x400).jpgDSCF5030 (300x400).jpg
          Last edited by srboone; 07-23-2015, 03:40 AM.
          "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

So now I have two sets of The Northern Star trilogy. But I noticed something interesting about them. Okay, not really interesting, but noteworthy. Fine, it's NOT noteworthy, but it is unusual in my experience. Here is the set that I acquired individually:

DSCF5037 (296x400).jpg

Notice that the middle volume is larger than the other two (which are of differing heights themselves). Now here's the set I got from the auhtor:

DSCF5033 (300x400).jpg

All the same height. Hmmm. Oh well. It's a conversation piece for basically boring people like myself.

But this is a great series and it is one of my favorite finds on GR.
            Last edited by srboone; 07-23-2015, 03:43 AM.
            "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

So now I have two sets of The Northern Star trilogy. But I noticed something interesting about them. Okay, not really interesting, but noteworthy. Fine, it's NOT noteworthy, but it is unusual in my experience. Here is the set that I acquired individually:

Notice that the middle volume is larger than the other two (which are of differing heights themselves). Now here's the set I got from the

All the same height. Hmmm. Oh well. It's a conversation piece for basically boring people like myself.

But this is a great series and it is one of my favorite finds on GR.
              I always find this interesting too since (now I am assuming this is a self published work) POD books tend to have standard sizes so it's always weird to me when they come out different

Comment

Very cool adds! Nice inscriptions by the author, too!

Comment

Originally posted by Joe315 View Post
                  I always find this interesting too since (now I am assuming this is a self published work) POD books tend to have standard sizes so it's always weird to me when they come out different
                  It's not self-published, as far as I can tell. The only indication (for me in my limited experience) is a copyright to CreateSpace.
                  "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
                    Very cool adds! Nice inscriptions by the author, too!
                    I told the author that I only wanted the first one inscribed; the others could be flat-signed. I didn't ask for anything specific--he got an unsolicited review of the first book from me, so I wasn't going to solicit anything specific from him. He did tell me that his wife doesn't like it when he's writing because he's distracted. But I hope he continues to write.
                    "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

It's not self-published, as far as I can tell. The only indication (for me in my limited experience) is a copyright to CreateSpace.
                      Create space prints a lot of the current self published books. They are part of Amazon so they handle print versions of kindle books.

Comment

Very nice additions Squire. Congratulations.......oh and WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU HAVE NOT EVER READ TO KILL A MOCKING BIRD !!!!???????!!!!??????.........As Brian Keene says on the horror show pod cast ......"You need to Unf#/&: that .

Comment

Originally posted by bookworm 1 View Post
                          Very nice additions Squire. Congratulations.......oh and WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU HAVE NOT EVER READ TO KILL A MOCKING BIRD !!!!???????!!!!??????.........As Brian Keene says on the horror show pod cast ......"You need to Unf#/&: that .
                          Yes, I do. And I will. Soon.

But I've seen the movie at least 10 time!
                          "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Yes, I do. And I will. Soon.

But I've seen the movie at least 10 time!

Comment

My Christmas shopping is done (been done for about a week) and I finally decided on a gift for myself.

DSCF5050 (640x480).jpg

Easton Press' The Tale of Genji. The 11th century Japanese narrative that is considered the world's first novel. I read this book (in a different translation) in April of this year and became obsessed with it. Since then, I've managed to get my hands on copies of the three major English translations of the complete work and a new "modern" translation was published in November. So my "Genji" shelf now looks like this:

DSCF5053 (640x480).jpg

(left to right)

EP's-the Arthur Waley translation of 1929 (The translation that brought a complete Genji to the English-speaking world.
                              Dennis Washburn translation (2015--modern translation)
                              Royall Tyler translation (2001--the "scholarly," heavily foot-noted translation. The first one I read.)
                              Edward Siedensticker translation (1976--meant as a more complete experience than the Waley translation [Waley never visited Japan])
                              Paperback copy of the Waley translation (read in November of this year)

Some of you may have noticed a bookmark in the "Tyler" translation of the book.

I bought it two months ago and needed a place to store it.
                              Last edited by srboone; 12-17-2015, 03:55 AM.
                              "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

A couple other recent acquisitions:

PS Publishing's Skeleton Crew:

DSCF5041 (640x474).jpg

And a signed copy of The Elfstones of Shanara by Terry Brooks. A special printing of the book for B&N's Black Friday Sale (with the classic Darrell K. Sweet cover art!):

DSCF5059 (480x640).jpgDSCF5061 (480x640).jpg

More to post, but not tonight. I'm at work and tomorrow is for Star Wars. And Friday, I have to get a new car since a nice, but quite clueless, 20-year-old girl rear-ended my Corolla. At least her daddy was smart enough to know that it was his daughter's fault. We're both Navy vets and did more sea-story-swapping than talking about the accident (him I liked).
                                "I'm a vegan. "

Comment

Working...
                                X