Thread: R.I.P. Wilum "Hopfrog" Pugmire

Hybrid View

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed njhorror's Avatar

R.I.P. Wilum "Hopfrog" Pugmire

I didn't know Wilum personally, but exchanged posts with him on the boards over the years. He seemed like a very decent person who loved life.
    A Lovecraft devotee, Wilum had a large body of printed material and many of his books can be found on Amazon. His entertaining videos can be seen on youtube.

From Wikipedia
    Wilum Hopfrog Pugmire (May 3, 1951 March 26, 2019) was a writer of horror fiction based in Seattle, Washington. His works typically are published as W. H. Pugmire (his adopted middle name derives from the story of the same title by Edgar Allan Poe) and his fiction often pays homage to Lovecraftian lore. Lovecraft scholar and biographer S. T. Joshi has described Pugmire as "the prose-poet of the horror/fantasy field; he may be the best prose-poet we have," and "perhaps the leading Lovecraftian author writing today."

Originally published mainly in small presses, Pugmire produced a steady stream of book collections beginning in 1997. His stories have also been published in magazines and anthologies such as The Year's Best Horror Stories, Weird Tales, The Children of Cthulhu, The Book of Cthulhu, and many more. The Tangled Muse, a major retrospective of his work, was published in 2010.

220px-W._H._Pugmire_(orig_2008-03-28_19.35.29_IMG_2565).jpg
    Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Senior Member Hearing Voices Ben Staad's Avatar
    May he rest in peace.

Senior Member Inmate
    I won an inscribed book from DRP from him. He sent a whole letter along with it. I think I will have to read it next.

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed
    Wow. Sad news.......

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed njhorror's Avatar
    Here's a recent interview with Wilum. I wish I had gotten to know him. I like the way he thinks.

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication
    ^^ Good interview! It cracks me up that he was a Mormon missionary in Ireland. I remember two Mormon missionaries being in our town in Ireland in the early '80s. They looked like FBI agents and might as well have been dressed in red and carrying pitchforks as far as the Irish Catholic mothers were concerned.