Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Road - Suntup Press

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    I think we can expect a price tag of at least $600+ for this title. Especially if it’s as good as you guys say it is and dude hasn’t signed it otherwise. The best you can hope for is an AGE on the cheap.

I’m also not sure if this isn’t Pet Sematary due to the stony nature of the video. Unless that’s something significant in The Road.
    I took it as the charred, broken, stony surface of the road upon which they walk on their journey. And, yes, it is very good...don’t just take my word for it, though, it also won the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction for its year of publication.

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed St. Troy's Avatar
    I read the first page of an online sample of The Road; the writing was all choppy sentences - is this what the whole book is like?
    Always looking to rent out a hidden floor above or below an old library, preferably brick or stone with hidden passageways. No pets (except cats).

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement jeffingoff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    I read the first page of an online sample of The Road; the writing was all choppy sentences - is this what the whole book is like?
    Pretty much. It's just awful. I think you should sit this one out. Tell everyone: "The Road is closed. Take a detour to the next Suntup book."

Joking aside, that's McCathy's style. It might not appeal to you. But holy shit, those choppy sentences will chop you to pieces.

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication
    Quote Originally Posted by St. Troy View Post
    That's how he writes, but once you get into it, everything just clicks. I've read all his books over the years, and they really are good.

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed St. Troy's Avatar
    Good to know; thanks.
    Always looking to rent out a hidden floor above or below an old library, preferably brick or stone with hidden passageways. No pets (except cats).

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed Marmaduke Grigsby's Avatar
    A good friend of mine who is an avid reader (and member of this forum) refuses to read Cormac McCarthy books because of his odd writing style. Admittedly, it is an acquired taste. For me, after I got past the first few pages I got into the flow I didn't even notice it. Once you get used to the writing style you are rewarded with incredible stories.

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement Ben Staad's Avatar
    How will the announcement be made? Is there a time I should log-in somewhere or should I have been on a mailing list? Anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Staad View Post
    How will the announcement be made? Is there a time I should log-in somewhere or should I have been on a mailing list? Anyone know?
    The announcement is coming today, but I'm not sure when. Have you subscribed to their mailing list? Do you follow them on Facebook and Twitter? When they put out the teaser video I received it first via email, then they posted it on Facebook and Twitter.

https://suntup.press/

Scroll down to the bottom to join their email list.
    Last edited by Marmaduke Grigsby; 03-29-2019 at 01:51 PM.

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement Ben Staad's Avatar
    Thanks for the reply. I don't do FB or Twitter but maybe I will join the mailing list.

Quote Originally Posted by Marmaduke Grigsby View Post
    The announcement is coming today, but I'm not sure when. Have you subscribed to their mailing list? Do you follow them on Facebook and Twitter? When they put out the teaser video I received it first via email, then they posted it on Facebook and Twitter.

https://suntup.press/

Scroll down to the bottom to join their email list.

Senior Member Lobotomized Martin's Avatar
    No artist edition. With the price of the limited and no signature from the author I will pass. I am sure it will be worth the price but not for me.

Yeah, I doubt I'll be able to snag one. That's a comfy price point compared to his other numbered editions. So there will be a lot of current number holders who opt in. Though it's not signed by anyone, so I wonder if that will ding the appeal. If I can get one I will be thrilled!

Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post
    Though it's not signed by anyone, so I wonder if that will ding the appeal. If I can get one I will be thrilled!
    "The editions are signed by Joyce Carol Oates, Ryan Pancoast and Richard Wagener."

Yeah, I doubt I'll be able to snag one. That's a comfy price point compared to his other numbered editions. So there will be a lot of current number holders who opt in. Though it's not signed by anyone, so I wonder if that will ding the appeal. If I can get one I will be thrilled!

Sorry, I see they are going to be signed!

Quote Originally Posted by Marmaduke Grigsby View Post
    "The editions are signed by Joyce Carol Oates, Ryan Pancoast and Richard Wagener."

Yeah, I just saw that. Don't know how I missed it. Probably because of the tears in my eyes.

Yeah, I just saw that. Don't know how I missed it. Probably because of the tears in my eyes.
    I missed it with the first read-through too. It doesn't exactly jump out at you, and is not mentioned in the descriptions of the different editions.

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session Sock Monkey's Avatar
    It was pretty much a given that if it was The Road, McCarthy was not going to have signed it. The price point is on the lower end for Suntup and the print run is pretty darn low so I do expect these to sell out. The question is whether or not I'm going to try to get one. And that's where I'm torn. An AGE would have been a given for me, but $395 is a high price point for my budget.

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session Sock Monkey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    No artist edition. With the price of the limited and no signature from the author I will pass. I am sure it will be worth the price but not for me.
    This brings up an interesting topic: Is it the production of the book or the signature of the author that drives a collector? It used to a lot about the author's signature followed closely behind by the production values. Now I've shifted my mindset a bit and the two are on more even playing fields.

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication
    Quote Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
    This brings up an interesting topic: Is it the production of the book or the signature of the author that drives a collector? It used to a lot about the author's signature followed closely behind by the production values. Now I've shifted my mindset a bit and the two are on more even playing fields.
    I think it's highly situational. A lot of authors sign everything put in front of them. Take Joe Lansdale. Phenomenal author, but his signature isn't exactly rare, so when it comes to special editions, I'll look the book itself to determine if an asking price is worthwhile. With someone like King, who signs far less (though still a lot in the grand scheme of things), his signature itself has an established value of several hundred dollars.

Then there are authors like McCarthy, who don't sign anything: a beat-to-hell trade paperback of The Road with the movie-tie cover, but that is actually signed would put the price of the limited (and possibly lettered) to shame. I shudder to think what the price would have been had his signature actually been included, but it would easily have been the most expensive book Suntup has done to date (and would likely ever do).

Junior Member Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
    That's actually a great question. Personally, I've never placed too much of a premium on signatures. I mean, it depends on the author: what is a Hill, or a Gaiman signature worth nowadays? It's always been about the book as object of art. Signatures are the "bonus" for me. But, with McCarthy.. his signature on this (or anything, really) would've been a HUGE bonus. This one is tough for me. The book looks really nice, obviously, but it'll be pushing $500 for me by the time I'm done with Ca tax and shipping. Without his signature, that's almost a push for me on this particular book- which I still haven't (and may never) read!