Suntup Editions - All Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
    But when that's not the case, people will wonder and worry over the connection of the signer to the work. It's a legitimate question for sure. I'm thrilled to be getting a Chuck Palahniuk signature in Rosemary's Baby. And a Joyce Carol Oates signature in The Road. Though I see them as cherries on top. Awesome to have, and adding value for me,
    See, and for me that Palahniuk involvement diminishes my interest in the volume because I fail to see the legitimate connection between the introducer and the work. Oates is less a detriment because she and McCarthy are literary heavyweights, both members of a pretty rarified American fic-lit royalty, so to speak. But RB is a '70s icon of both film and prose, one that opened the door for mass-market horror; Palahniuk is neither a '70s figure nor a mass-market horror icon. He may know something about horror film, I don't know, but I suspect a lot of folks do. I'm sure he'll write a servicable, entertaining introduction, but his involvements feels tacked on, not organic to Levin's work, and I guess that organic nature is what it boils down to for me. To my mind, if it can't feel organic, then just leave it off altogether.

Anyway, I don't mean to put a buzzkill on either Suntup or Jeff's enthusiasm for RB, so I'll leave it there. I made two longer comments r.e. this issueand IAL on page 276 of the Suntup thread at TDT.org if anyone's dying to hear me blather on more about it. http://www.thedarktower.org/palaver/...-Press/page276
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

That is fair and I'll "walk it back" like our more level-headed politicians often do.

I fully appreciate the price difference means that these two books can't be compared. And I wasn't really comparing them. I was speaking only about the value a signature brings and how it all depends on the context--who is signing and where it appears.

It's true the book is bound in leather, comes in a tray case and has a ribbon page marker. But the paper quality is GOD AWFUL. I can't imagine these pages remaining white beyond 5 years. They're so flimsy it's like the book was printed on toilet paper. And don't even get me started on the DJ art! Don't EVEN get me started.

If I were to compare along price points, then I'd take Suntup's AGE of Horns, or your gift edition of IT, or your numbered On This The Day of the Pig, or SST's The Listener over Gauntlet's Rusty Puppy any day. All of those books were less expensive than Rusty Puppy. That book made me unsubscribe from Barry's newsletter.
      I definitely get what you're saying here. Every publisher has their own style, and it's not going to be for everyone. Take Suntup for example, I think he makes some beautiful books, but I personally don't care for "printed on boards". Which is what he's done for his gift edition slipcases (and binding too I think can't remember). PS Publishing does that as well, it's not necessarily bad, but for my personal tastes I'd much rather just have (the cases at least) be bound in cloth or some kind of synthetic and foil stamped.
      CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
      Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Hocker View Post
        I definitely get what you're saying here. Every publisher has their own style, and it's not going to be for everyone. Take Suntup for example, I think he makes some beautiful books, but I personally don't care for "printed on boards". Which is what he's done for his gift edition slipcases (and binding too I think can't remember). PS Publishing does that as well, it's not necessarily bad, but for my personal tastes I'd much rather just have (the cases at least) be bound in cloth or some kind of synthetic and foil stamped.
        While both PS Publishing and Suntup Press use printed on boards I look at them very differently. PS uses them for limited editions rather than just gift editions. PS uses them on the cases and the books. I can only speak to Horns from Suntup but the book is fabric and foil stamped. The quality of the slipcases is dramatically different as well. PS slipcases feel like cardboard wrapped with a photo. The Horns slipcase feels like a box with a quality image affixed, it is actually one of the nicest slipcases I have seen.

Comment

That is fair and I'll "walk it back" like our more level-headed politicians often do.

I fully appreciate the price difference means that these two books can't be compared. And I wasn't really comparing them. I was speaking only about the value a signature brings and how it all depends on the context--who is signing and where it appears.

It's true the book is bound in leather, comes in a tray case and has a ribbon page marker. But the paper quality is GOD AWFUL. I can't imagine these pages remaining white beyond 5 years. They're so flimsy it's like the book was printed on toilet paper. And don't even get me started on the DJ art! Don't EVEN get me started.

If I were to compare along price points, then I'd take Suntup's AGE of Horns, or your gift edition of IT, or your numbered On This The Day of the Pig, or SST's The Listener over Gauntlet's Rusty Puppy any day. All of those books were less expensive than Rusty Puppy. That book made me unsubscribe from Barry's newsletter.
          A guy from Chicago talking about 'level headed politicians' like he has ever seen one!

Comment

I moved a bunch of posts to the other thread. I'm also gonna change the name of this thread to the book it's actually about.
            Thank you. I delayed opening the other thread until I knew the title of the book since I can't edit the header.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
              While both PS Publishing and Suntup Press use printed on boards I look at them very differently. PS uses them for limited editions rather than just gift editions. PS uses them on the cases and the books. I can only speak to Horns from Suntup but the book is fabric and foil stamped. The quality of the slipcases is dramatically different as well. PS slipcases feel like cardboard wrapped with a photo. The Horns slipcase feels like a box with a quality image affixed, it is actually one of the nicest slipcases I have seen.
              Yea I don't really get that, but it may just be because I'm "in the know" so to speak. The only real difference between the paper material is the finish, Horns uses a matte finish while PS uses glossy. The paper is almost certainly the same (or very similar). But really it's not about quality here, I just don't like the printed on boards style, not matter how effective it's implemented.

Instagram

Comment

Thank you. I delayed opening the other thread until I knew the title of the book since I can't edit the header.
                Honestly I'm actually tempted to dump all the Suntup threads back together and just make a single place to discuss all of his books. Especially since the thread for The Road is actually really The Road, Brother, and partially I Am Legend already.

Instagram

Comment

Honestly I'm actually tempted to dump all the Suntup threads back together and just make a single place to discuss all of his books. Especially since the thread for The Road is actually really The Road, Brother, and partially I Am Legend already.
                  If you choose to de it that was I will stop opening new ones upon new offerings.

Comment

I think that would be best also.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
                      I think that would be best also.
                      I may do that then. I've gotta find all of them first. They aren't all named the same way and I'm not sure there's a thread for each one.

Instagram

Comment

Yea I don't really get that, but it may just be because I'm "in the know" so to speak. The only real difference between the paper material is the finish, Horns uses a matte finish while PS uses glossy. The paper is almost certainly the same (or very similar). But really it's not about quality here, I just don't like the printed on boards style, not matter how effective it's implemented.
                        The quality difference of the cases is hard to quantify. It is really more about the structure of the box.

Comment

Now we're getting into the stylistic and creative choices which are much more subjective. You can make the personal decision that letterpress isn't something you value and therefore you won't pay more for it. And you can say that printed boards aren't your thing so you'll pass on those publishers who do it. But I think paper quality, the quality of the materials used, and the amount (not style) of art within the book is more objective.

Comment

A guy from Chicago talking about 'level headed politicians' like he has ever seen one!
                            This is painfully on point. I walk back my statement about level-headed politicians and I'd like to preemptively apologize for any future comment I may post that could make it seem like I know anything about a two party system of government.

Comment

Now we're getting into the stylistic and creative choices which are much more subjective. You can make the personal decision that letterpress isn't something you value and therefore you won't pay more for it. And you can say that printed boards aren't your thing so you'll pass on those publishers who do it. But I think paper quality, the quality of the materials used, and the amount (not style) of art within the book is more objective.
                              You're not wrong. I can't speak to paper quality, I'm not familiar enough with Gauntlet's stuff and even if I was I wouldn't comment on the quality of another publisher's books.

I can't really comment on the quantity of art either, 90% of our titles don't have interior art.

Instagram

Comment

You're not wrong. I can't speak to paper quality, I'm not familiar enough with Gauntlet's stuff and even if I was I wouldn't comment on the quality of another publisher's books.

I can't really comment on the quantity of art either, 90% of our titles don't have interior art.
                                Well, I love what I get from CD. Art or no art.

Comment

Working...
                                X