Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Suntup Press - Fifth Book

Senior Member Lobotomized Martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
    This brings up an interesting topic: Is it the production of the book or the signature of the author that drives a collector? It used to a lot about the author's signature followed closely behind by the production values. Now I've shifted my mindset a bit and the two are on more even playing fields.
    I think it varies from book to book. A put a lot of value on finely crafted books and on the signature of the author. I put less value on the signatures of other contributors. With that said I look at the production values described here are, in my view, that of a fine artist edition. Signed by artists and introduction writer, slipcase with addition art. No traycase, not printed letterpress, no author signature. I have faith that Paul will produce a fine book that I would love to have on my shelves. Had this exact book been offered for $150 I probably would be in line to purchase it. At more than double that price it simply does not calculate to a value for me. Hopefully enough people will pass that will permit people like Jeffingoff to grab a copy when it goes on sale to the general public, just as I was able to do with Horns after passing on Hill House. Good luck to those lucking to pick this one up, I am sure it will be a great book. I will someday read the story but not the Suntup edition.

Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? bookworm 1's Avatar
    UP State NY the real upstate north of Albany
    Hate to pass this up but looks like I'll be doing just that. Like Ron this for me is one of the greatest books I have ever read. Unlike Ron I like the way this looks. Just out of my range now.

Senior Member Hearing Voices Ben Staad's Avatar
    That is funny. That is exactly the price range I was hoping to see. It would have been a stretch for me at $150 but I would have bought one.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    I think it varies from book to book. A put a lot of value on finely crafted books and on the signature of the author. I put less value on the signatures of other contributors. With that said I look at the production values described here are, in my view, that of a fine artist edition. Signed by artists and introduction writer, slipcase with addition art. No traycase, not printed letterpress, no author signature. I have faith that Paul will produce a fine book that I would love to have on my shelves. Had this exact book been offered for $150 I probably would be in line to purchase it. At more than double that price it simply does not calculate to a value for me. Hopefully enough people will pass that will permit people like Jeffingoff to grab a copy when it goes on sale to the general public, just as I was able to do with Horns after passing on Hill House. Good luck to those lucking to pick this one up, I am sure it will be a great book. I will someday read the story but not the Suntup edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Staad View Post
    That is funny. That is exactly the price range I was hoping to see. It would have been a stretch for me at $150 but I would have bought one.
    Had this been more like the Horns offering, Letterpress and signed by author, I would probably bitten at $600. What is being offered would have worked for me at $150.

Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? bookworm 1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RonClinton View Post
    Centipede's DUNE is on my radar as well.

Slight thread drift:

Speaking of Centipede (and Suntup)...for those like me who had to pass on both press' $500'ish editions of Shirley Jackson's THE HAUNTING OF HILL HOUSE (and Centipede's WE HAVE ALWAYS LIVED IN THE CASTLE), the Library of America's omnibus of those two novels plus a host of short stories (700-something pages) is not only on sale at their site for $28 (from reg. $35), but if you use the code SPRING2019 you get another 20% off...and it comes w/ FREE Priority shipping. I ordered my copy yesterday, and it came to $22.40 shipped. I'd almost pulled the trigger on this volume several times, but glad I waited...$22.40 shipped for this volume is a steal!

EDIT: Here is the link: https://www.loa.org/books/326-novels-stories Btw, a pop-up may come up that advertises 10% off your first order...unfortunately, you can't use two coupons combined on this one order (I tried...when you put in the 10% it wipes out the 20% discount, and you have to omit the 10% code and reapply the 20% code...it won't permit 30% off).
    I already have a great set of softcover books from a book club . Or I would go for this. Really wanted the Suntup version of Hill House.Maybe one day.

Administrator Ok, I really can't come up with anymore of these stupid things... Brian James Freeman's Avatar
    I am super intrigued by what Paul is doing with his press, and even though I cannot afford his titles right now due to setting aside all of my spare change for something, I'm having a great time just watching his announcemnets and seeing the joy he's bringing to collectors. Presses that really go all out to do the "fine press" thing are awesome!

Brian
    Brian James Freeman
    brianfreeman@cemeterydance.com

Cemetery Dance Publications: http://www.cemeterydance.com
    Lonely Road Books: http://www.lonelyroadbooks.com
    LetterPress Publications: http://www.LetterPressPublications.com
    My Writing: http://www.BrianJamesFreeman.com

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement mhatchett's Avatar
    I did jump on the Library Of America edition, thanks for the heads up Ron. And Brian, you're right. Though I can't afford those Suntop books because of other interests, the excitement they generate put a smile on my face.

Senior Member Hearing Voices
    Quote Originally Posted by mhatchett View Post
    I did jump on the Library Of America edition, thanks for the heads up Ron. And Brian, you're right. Though I can't afford those Suntop books because of other interests, the excitement they generate put a smile on my face.
    Glad you snagged a copy of the LoA volume, Mike. :-)

As far as Suntup, now that the wild emotional swings of the gleeful anticipation and excitement of announcement day and the personal disappointment r.e. the design on the numbered edition are a day or two behind us, I am growing increasingly content with my decision to pass on it.

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement jeffingoff's Avatar
    I have no idea how to write this post. I've been thinking about all the things I want to say and none of them are sufficient. No words I have are enough. Nothing I can cobble together from my hyperactive scattered thoughts can come close to expressing my amazement, my gratitude, and my absolute euphoria at what I learned yesterday. Someone worked with Paul to ensure that I would have my number of Rosemary's Baby at a time when buying the book for myself was an impossibility. I absolutely hated passing on that book and apparently I let everyone on these message boards know and I never imagined the level of generosity out there in this collecting community.

I don't know who i have to thank. But whoever that person is or who those people are, just know this: I simply cannot thank you enough. There's no way. This act means the world to me especially during the incredibly dark year I've been living. Words are just not sufficient.

I will try to balance out the universe somehow. I'll try to "pay it forward" as the disgraced actor's movie once commanded. I know I'll be reading this post back again and again hating that I couldn't pack this massive swirl of emotion into the two short simple monosyllabic words, the only words I can catch in my scrambling brain, the only words that will have to do until my actions can say the rest: THANK YOU.

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed Marmaduke Grigsby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post
    I have no idea how to write this post. I've been thinking about all the things I want to say and none of them are sufficient. No words I have are enough. Nothing I can cobble together from my hyperactive scattered thoughts can come close to expressing my amazement, my gratitude, and my absolute euphoria at what I learned yesterday. Someone worked with Paul to ensure that I would have my number of Rosemary's Baby at a time when buying the book for myself was an impossibility. I absolutely hated passing on that book and apparently I let everyone on these message boards know and I never imagined the level of generosity out there in this collecting community.

I don't know who i have to thank. But whoever that person is or who those people are, just know this: I simply cannot thank you enough. There's no way. This act means the world to me especially during the incredibly dark year I've been living. Words are just not sufficient.

I will try to balance out the universe somehow. I'll try to "pay it forward" as the disgraced actor's movie once commanded. I know I'll be reading this post back again and again hating that I couldn't pack this massive swirl of emotion into the two short simple monosyllabic words, the only words I can catch in my scrambling brain, the only words that will have to do until my actions can say the rest: THANK YOU.

That gives me the warm fuzzies and I wasn't even involved. What an awesome gesture. There is such a sense of community here on this forum. Perhaps more than "community", that doesn't seem like the right word. Kinship, maybe.

I am still somewhat new here, but I am impressed by the friendliness and camaraderie of the members here. I have always been a Stephen King fan but not a "fanatic" so Cemetery Dance was something I was aware of but not really engaged in. Then, my all-time favorite author Robert McCammon made the move to CD and I followed him here. I'm glad I did.

Congrats on being the benefactor of this kind act, Jeff. I don't know who was behind it, but I think we'd all agree that you deserve it, if for no other reason than for making us laugh so much. :-)

Senior Member Hearing Voices Ben Staad's Avatar
    That is really cool. I'm very happy to hear these types of things. That made my day.

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement mhatchett's Avatar
    This really is one of the best places on the web! Well done!

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session Sock Monkey's Avatar
    That is a great story, Jeff. Thank you for sharing that with us. Whomever did that for you definitely has a large heart. What I think makes this extra special is that this wasn’t a “need” being fulfilled like food or medicine or something that would push someone off the edge into action. This was “just” a book. And the only reason to do this was out of kindness. The world needs kindness. Not just during the tragedies, not just during life or death matters, but in simple ways everyday.

I’m happy for you, Jeff. But I’m also happy that we are involved in a community (whether it’s this forum, thedarktower.org, or small press collectors in general) where these types of actions occur.

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session Sock Monkey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmaduke Grigsby View Post
    That gives me the warm fuzzies and I wasn't even involved. What an awesome gesture. There is such a sense of community here on this forum. Perhaps more than "community", that doesn't seem like the right word. Kinship, maybe.

I am still somewhat new here, but I am impressed by the friendliness and camaraderie of the members here. I have always been a Stephen King fan but not a "fanatic" so Cemetery Dance was something I was aware of but not really engaged in. Then, my all-time favorite author Robert McCammon made the move to CD and I followed him here. I'm glad I did
    That is precisely why this is the only place on the internet that I participate in. No Facebook, no instagram, nothing. Just here on this forum. The CD forum rocks!

Senior Member Hearing Voices
    Fantastic news, Jeff, and what a great gesture on your mysterious benefactor's part...as others have said, it just goes to show what a uniquely special set of folks make up our little collecting community. Congrats again -- very happy things worked out for you. :-)

Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly Brian861's Avatar

That is awesome, Jeff! I'm beyond happy for you right now! I believe the universe has paid if forward for you. You have tremendous wit, sense of humor, and you keep us in stitches. I'm sorry to hear that you've had a dark year Hopefully this will help brighten things up moving forward.

Thank you all! I really hope to help make someone else feel half as fantastic as this insanely generous gesture has made me feel. I'm happy to share this story so that we can all appreciate just what a wonderful community we have here. My head is still spinning.

Jeff, that is a fantastic story. Congratulations and thank you for sharing. If the person who did this is on this board I just want to saw thank you. Gestures like this are a part of why this collecting community is so special!

Thank you all! I really hope to help make someone else feel half as fantastic as this insanely generous gesture has made me feel. I'm happy to share this story so that we can all appreciate just what a wonderful community we have here. My head is still spinning.
    This is amazing! Congratulations Jeff. What a wonderful gesture. I recently had a similar thing happen to me. It just goes to show that there are still a lot of great people around, even if the bad guys get all the headlines.

Quote Originally Posted by bookworm 1 View Post
    This is amazing! Congratulations Jeff. What a wonderful gesture. I recently had a similar thing happen to me. It just goes to show that there are still a lot of great people around, even if the bad guys get all the headlines.
    Really, for a bunch of screaming horror fans, this community is loaded with some of the kindest, friendliest people I've ever had the pleasure to interact with. Thank you!