Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Suntup Press - Fifth Book

Senior Member Hearing Voices Ben Staad's Avatar
    Great looking book however I would need a payment plan option, just to consider, the AGE. I think I need to stop drooling at Suntup and impose a ban on myself at even looking at their stuff. I'm bummed.

Senior Member Hearing Voices
    I have to admit I'm somewhat underwhelmed at the production pics of the numbered...the front board woodcut is, to my eyes, miscentered (yes, I see the tree on the right, but those two characters really need to be centered and given priority and, more, equal importance, rather than the father centered and the boy pushed to the left), and, more importantly, I really don't care for that cloth on the boards. I've seen that crosshatched woven material used before and have held it, and it looks and feels like something you'd find on a couch...I find it bulky and heavy, dry, scratchy, and out-of-place on a book. I know it has a long history of use in binding (primarily in older publications), but I personally just don't care for it.

So while yesterday it was the quite literally most exciting book news I'd had in years -- my all-time favorite book getting the deluxe treatment! -- I find today that I'm now struggling with reasons to justify its purchase. I already have a U.S. 1st HC and a U.K. 1st HC...and aready have no room on my shelves for multiple editions of the same book...do I really need a third edition, particularly one that doesn't thrill me in its design and costs nearly $400 (and I certainly can't afford the lovely, slate-covered lettered edition)?

I don't mean to disparage Paul's concept and I'm sure in the end the final product will be a finely-produced work, but I find that in this particular case his design ideas just don't appeal to my personal sense of aesthetic...and that's okay, differing opinions make the world go 'round. I suspect that conflict of vision is perhaps even more pronounced in this case, because the book is such a special work to me.

If there was a GE at ~$100, I might be more forgiving, but at four times that, this is probably not going to be an item I'm going to add to my shelf...which, frankly, stuns me this morning and leaves me a little heartbroken. Perhaps I'll change my mind by 4/13, but quite honestly I kind of doubt it.

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement jeffingoff's Avatar
    Well, I hope enough people sit this one out and I'm able to get a numbered edition. I kinda wish I had sprung for Rosemary's Baby just so I would have the hassle free ordering guarantee on this one. But that's fine. Maybe I'll have a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by RonClinton View Post
    I have to admit I'm somewhat underwhelmed at the production pics of the numbered...the front board woodcut is, to my eyes, miscentered (yes, I see the tree on the right, but those two characters really need to be centered and given priority and, more, equal importance, rather than the father centered and the boy pushed to the left), and, more importantly, I really don't care for that cloth on the boards. I've seen that crosshatched woven material used before and have held it, and it looks and feels like something you'd find on a couch...I find it bulky and heavy, dry, scratchy, and out-of-place on a book. I know it has a long history of use in binding (primarily in older publications), but I personally just don't care for it.

So while yesterday it was the quite literally most exciting book news I'd had in years -- my all-time favorite book getting the deluxe treatment! -- I find today that I'm now struggling with reasons to justify its purchase. I already have a U.S. 1st HC and a U.K. 1st HC...and aready have no room on my shelves for multiple editions of the same book...do I really need a third edition, particularly one that doesn't thrill me in its design and costs nearly $400 (and I certainly can't afford the lovely, slate-covered lettered edition)?

I don't mean to disparage Paul's concept and I'm sure in the end the final product will be a finely-produced work, but I find that in this particular case his design ideas just don't appeal to my personal sense of aesthetic...and that's okay, differing opinions make the world go 'round. I suspect that conflict of vision is perhaps even more pronounced in this case, because the book is such a special work to me.

If there was a GE at ~$100, I might be more forgiving, but at four times that, this is probably not going to be an item I'm going to add to my shelf...which, frankly, stuns me this morning and leaves me a little heartbroken. Perhaps I'll change my mind by 4/13, but quite honestly I kind of doubt it.
    I'm bummed that you're bummed on this. I get your points, though. For a book held in such high regard, it's hard to find a production that will match how you feel about it. Especially if it's not to your taste.

Quote Originally Posted by slayn666 View Post
    Then there are authors like McCarthy, who don't sign anything
    Oh, he signs, though certainly sparingly...he just refuses to sign THE ROAD (for the reason I mention earlier).

I have a signed 1st ed. trade Fine/Fine HC of NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN (with accompanying postcard verifying bookstore's signed-bookclub provenance), which I treasure.

He's had a couple signed/numbered limited editions as well (a S/L variant of NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN, for example), and signed trade HCs of his other books are out there, though, yes, quite expensive. It's all about supply-and-demand, and the latter drastically outweighs the former, which drives up the price.

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session
    I agree that I'm not quite blown away by the limited, though the lettered is nice. It's hard to make a determination on these from pictures, though. Seeing these in person could change my thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post
    I'm bummed that you're bummed on this. I get your points, though. For a book held in such high regard, it's hard to find a production that will match how you feel about it. Especially if it's not to your taste.
    Thanks, appreciate the empathy, Jeff. Yeah, there's probably some element of too-high expectations in my reasoning, but then I look at those pics again and think, Damn, I really do think Paul missed the boat on this one. But I get that someone looking at those very same pics could see a homerun. Ultimately, it's all about subjective personal preferences, and this one, regrettably, just doesn't tick the boxes for me.
    Last edited by RonClinton; 03-29-2019 at 05:23 PM.

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement mhatchett's Avatar
    Yeah, I'm passing on this one. Love the book, just to many pre-orders in the fire. Centipede's Dune is lurking in the horizon LOl!!

Quote Originally Posted by mhatchett View Post
    Yeah, I'm passing on this one. Love the book, just to many pre-orders in the fire. Centipede's Dune is lurking in the horizon LOl!!
    Centipede's DUNE is on my radar as well.

Slight thread drift:

Speaking of Centipede (and Suntup)...for those like me who had to pass on both press' $500'ish editions of Shirley Jackson's THE HAUNTING OF HILL HOUSE (and Centipede's WE HAVE ALWAYS LIVED IN THE CASTLE), the Library of America's omnibus of those two novels plus a host of short stories (700-something pages) is not only on sale at their site for $28 (from reg. $35), but if you use the code SPRING2019 you get another 20% off...and it comes w/ FREE Priority shipping. I ordered my copy yesterday, and it came to $22.40 shipped. I'd almost pulled the trigger on this volume several times, but glad I waited...$22.40 shipped for this volume is a steal!

EDIT: Here is the link: https://www.loa.org/books/326-novels-stories Btw, a pop-up may come up that advertises 10% off your first order...unfortunately, you can't use two coupons combined on this one order (I tried...when you put in the 10% it wipes out the 20% discount, and you have to omit the 10% code and reapply the 20% code...it won't permit 30% off).
    Last edited by RonClinton; 03-29-2019 at 05:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mhatchett View Post
    Yes, I must keep that in mind as well. Centipede is going to blow my budget this year.

Thanks, appreciate the empathy, Jeff. Yeah, there's probably some element of too-high expectations in my reasoning, but then I look at those pics again and think, Damn, I really do think Paul missed the boat on this one. But I get that someone looking at those very same pics could see a homerun. Ultimately, it's all about subjective personal preferences, and this one, regrettably, just doesn't tick the boxes for me.
    It truly is about subjective personal preferences and there is nothing wrong with that. Paul seems to be trying to be different with his designs and when one does that there is a possibility that it won't land with some people. I can see where it is disappointing when the love of the aesthetic doesn't match the love for the book. I've dealt with more of the opposite, though: I LOVE what a publisher has done with the book, I just don't think the book lives up to that expectation.

Senior Member Hearing Voices Ben Staad's Avatar
    Nice find! Thanks for the link. While I can spend more then $22.40 (but not $400) this seems to be a steal for some great reading.

Centipede's DUNE is on my radar as well.

Slight thread drift:

Speaking of Centipede (and Suntup)...for those like me who had to pass on both press' $500'ish editions of Shirley Jackson's THE HAUNTING OF HILL HOUSE (and Centipede's WE HAVE ALWAYS LIVED IN THE CASTLE), the Library of America's omnibus of those two novels plus a host of short stories (700-something pages) is not only on sale at their site for $28 (from reg. $35), but if you use the code SPRING2019 you get another 20% off...and it comes w/ FREE Priority shipping. I ordered my copy yesterday, and it came to $22.40 shipped. I'd almost pulled the trigger on this volume several times, but glad I waited...$22.40 shipped for this volume is a steal!

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session Brian861's Avatar
    I have a hard decision to make as well. I have zero interest in the story and will probably never read it. But, do I keep on keeping on for the investment potential that a full matching set may bring down the road? As a rule, I generally only collect what I like and could careless about the investment potential. I'm honestly considering selling HHH as I don't really feel anything for that book either. Loved it on Netflix though Probably would end up being a huge regret down "the road" to break up a matching set. And to really make no sense at all; I'm actually considering the lettered vs the S/L as I think it's a cool production. Still have one payment to make on RMB so that might be tough to swing. Oh well. Lots of time to ponder.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    I have a hard decision to make as well. I have zero interest in the story and will probably never read it. But, do I keep on keeping on for the investment potential that a full matching set may bring down the road? As a rule, I generally only collect what I like and could careless about the investment potential. I'm honestly considering selling HHH as I don't really feel anything for that book either. Loved it on Netflix though Probably would end up being a huge regret down "the road" to break up a matching set. And to really make no sense at all; I'm actually considering the lettered vs the S/L as I think it's a cool production. Still have one payment to make on RMB so that might be tough to swing. Oh well. Lots of time to ponder.
    Well, I gave up the MATCHING SET quest with Rosemary's Baby. Because I know me, and me would not want to sell a Suntup that has risen on my shelf. So "invest in a full set to sell later" is a false narrative that me tells me. And I told me to STFU. And since passing on RB, I feel free to buy only what I really want. Seems silly to make such an obvious observation, but it's true. The only roadblock to that plan is being locked out by not having the previous book. So when one comes along that I REEALLLLY want, I need some luck. And I hate that part of it.

All of that is to say--you shouldn't force yourself into buying anything. All of this should just be pure fun.

All of that is to say--you shouldn't force yourself into buying anything. All of this should just be pure fun.
    HHH was to get in on the non-King track so that was exciting. Horns and RMB were a blast to buy. The Road would be just to keep the band together. I'm not having any fun at all with this one. Exception would be if I were able to swing the lettered. Who knows how many of those will be available to the public.

Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour
    Well, I gave up the MATCHING SET quest with Rosemary's Baby. Because I know me, and me would not want to sell a Suntup that has risen on my shelf. So "invest in a full set to sell later" is a false narrative that me tells me. And I told me to STFU. And since passing on RB, I feel free to buy only what I really want. Seems silly to make such an obvious observation, but it's true. The only roadblock to that plan is being locked out by not having the previous book. So when one comes along that I REEALLLLY want, I need some luck. And I hate that part of it.

I think you'll get it. It was only misery that sold out in 2.5 secs of the button being enabled lol.. The rest of all the books took a few days, so given that history, I don't think you need to stress.

Quote Originally Posted by WebInterceptor View Post
    I think you'll get it. It was only misery that sold out in 2.5 secs of the button being enabled lol.. The rest of all the books took a few days, so given that history, I don't think you need to stress.
    Horns sold out in 6 hours, but I agree, you'll have time with this one, Jeff.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    Horns sold out in 6 hours, but I agree, you'll have time with this one, Jeff.
    Oh right. I forgot about that one. Well at any rate, nobody will need to sit and refresh their screen every micro second on this I am sure..

I thought that "invest in a full set to sell later" was the false narrative we tell our significant others?

It is nice once you get past the "have to get it all" and move into "only the stuff I really want" phase. I swing wildly between the two.

I am also not a big fan of the "previous rights holders" scenario with Suntup since it applies to ALL titles (sans King as that's a different "track"). I understand when it comes to a set of titles, but not to the company as a whole. Imagine of CD operated that way? I get why people like it, but it kinda keeps "casual" buyers out of the loop. I just don't like the idea of thinking well if I don't get this title then I might miss out on one I really want. I think that Centipede strikes a nice balance: there are a limited amount of slots for subscribers and they agree to buy all titles published and they get a discount and matching numbers; all remaining copies go up for the general public unless it's a series than previous rights holders are given preference. Obviously Paul can run his business as he sees fit and I harbor no ill will; just my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
    I thought that "invest in a full set to sell later" was the false narrative we tell our significant others?

It is nice once you get past the "have to get it all" and move into "only the stuff I really want" phase. I swing wildly between the two.

I am also not a big fan of the "previous rights holders" scenario with Suntup since it applies to ALL titles (sans King as that's a different "track"). I understand when it comes to a set of titles, but not to the company as a whole. Imagine of CD operated that way? I get why people like it, but it kinda keeps "casual" buyers out of the loop. I just don't like the idea of thinking well if I don't get this title then I might miss out on one I really want. I think that Centipede strikes a nice balance: there are a limited amount of slots for subscribers and they agree to buy all titles published and they get a discount and matching numbers; all remaining copies go up for the general public unless it's a series than previous rights holders are given preference. Obviously Paul can run his business as he sees fit and I harbor no ill will; just my two cents.
    Hundred.JPG