Thread: Suntup Press - Fifth Book

Hybrid View

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed Marmaduke Grigsby's Avatar

Suntup Press - Fifth Book

They just released a new teaser video for the next book. You guys have been pretty good at guessing what the books are going to be based on the teasers.

https://suntup.press/?utm_source=Sun...eid=f3112df0fc

It immediately made me think of The Road but I could be wrong.

Senior Member Lobotomized Martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Marmaduke Grigsby View Post
    They just released a new teaser video for the next book. You guys have been pretty good at guessing what the books are going to be based on the teasers.

https://suntup.press/?utm_source=Sun...eid=f3112df0fc

It immediately made me think of The Road but I could be wrong.
    The video made me think of The Road also.

Senior Member Hearing Voices Ben Staad's Avatar
    I saw The Road as well. Man and child walking in a bleak landscape with bare trees. It is one of my favorite all-time books and certainly would be treated well by Paul.

I highly doubt I will be able to afford it but if it is, The Road, I will certainly give this a hard look.

Senior Member Hearing Voices
    Definitely THE ROAD. My favorite book of all time...my heart is racing right now. Stunned and oh so pleased. Can’t wait for the announcement to see what is being offered.

Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour
    Isn't that one gloomy story ?

Senior Member Hearing Voices Ben Staad's Avatar
    It is a dark story but I think there are some good undercurrents. McCarthy can be a little tough to read (at least for me) but this book never felt bogged down with his flowery/descriptive prose even though it is written that way.

Quote Originally Posted by WebInterceptor View Post

Quote Originally Posted by WebInterceptor View Post
    It’s a story of pure, incandescent parental love amid a gray and charred landscape. So, yes, gloomy...but blindingly bright in the love it portrays.

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement jeffingoff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RonClinton View Post
    Definitely THE ROAD. My favorite book of all time...my heart is racing right now. Stunned and oh so pleased. Can’t wait for the announcement to see what is being offered.
    Me too. I am so terrified right now. How much will the numbered edition be? Will it be signed by McCarthy? Will I even be able to get it if it's something I can afford? This book is a must have for me.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post
    Will it be signed by McCarthy?
    That one I can answer...and I have to presume the answer is 'no.' As I wrote over at TDT:

He wrote the book as a love letter to his young son, so for him it remains a private, intimate experience...it’s the only one of his books he refuses to sign for the public. From a Wall Street Journal interview:

——————-

WSJ: Why don't you sign copies of "The Road"

CM: There are signed copies of the book, but they all belong to my son John, so when he turns 18 he can sell them and go to Las Vegas or whatever. No, those are the only signed copies of the book.

WSJ: How many did you have?

CM: 250. So occasionally I get letters from book dealers or whoever that say, "I have a signed copy of the 'The Road,'" and I say, "No. You don't."

—————

That said, there were a number of first edition UK hard covers that included a special publisher’s signed bookplate laid in, but that’s it. Again, though, not really signed, per se, as the book itself was not signed.

Of course, I can’t know for sure…maybe Paul got him to change his mind, but I strongly doubt it.