No announcement yet.

Suntup Editions - All Books

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a hard decision to make as well. I have zero interest in the story and will probably never read it. But, do I keep on keeping on for the investment potential that a full matching set may bring down the road? As a rule, I generally only collect what I like and could careless about the investment potential. I'm honestly considering selling HHH as I don't really feel anything for that book either. Loved it on Netflix though Probably would end up being a huge regret down "the road" to break up a matching set. And to really make no sense at all; I'm actually considering the lettered vs the S/L as I think it's a cool production. Still have one payment to make on RMB so that might be tough to swing. Oh well. Lots of time to ponder.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
      I have a hard decision to make as well. I have zero interest in the story and will probably never read it. But, do I keep on keeping on for the investment potential that a full matching set may bring down the road? As a rule, I generally only collect what I like and could careless about the investment potential. I'm honestly considering selling HHH as I don't really feel anything for that book either. Loved it on Netflix though Probably would end up being a huge regret down "the road" to break up a matching set. And to really make no sense at all; I'm actually considering the lettered vs the S/L as I think it's a cool production. Still have one payment to make on RMB so that might be tough to swing. Oh well. Lots of time to ponder.
      Well, I gave up the MATCHING SET quest with Rosemary's Baby. Because I know me, and me would not want to sell a Suntup that has risen on my shelf. So "invest in a full set to sell later" is a false narrative that me tells me. And I told me to STFU. And since passing on RB, I feel free to buy only what I really want. Seems silly to make such an obvious observation, but it's true. The only roadblock to that plan is being locked out by not having the previous book. So when one comes along that I REEALLLLY want, I need some luck. And I hate that part of it.

All of that is to say--you shouldn't force yourself into buying anything. All of this should just be pure fun.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
        All of that is to say--you shouldn't force yourself into buying anything. All of this should just be pure fun.
        HHH was to get in on the non-King track so that was exciting. Horns and RMB were a blast to buy. The Road would be just to keep the band together. I'm not having any fun at all with this one. Exception would be if I were able to swing the lettered. Who knows how many of those will be available to the public.

Comment

Well, I gave up the MATCHING SET quest with Rosemary's Baby. Because I know me, and me would not want to sell a Suntup that has risen on my shelf. So "invest in a full set to sell later" is a false narrative that me tells me. And I told me to STFU. And since passing on RB, I feel free to buy only what I really want. Seems silly to make such an obvious observation, but it's true. The only roadblock to that plan is being locked out by not having the previous book. So when one comes along that I REEALLLLY want, I need some luck. And I hate that part of it.

I think you'll get it. It was only misery that sold out in 2.5 secs of the button being enabled lol.. The rest of all the books took a few days, so given that history, I don't think you need to stress.

Comment

Originally posted by WebInterceptor View Post
            I think you'll get it. It was only misery that sold out in 2.5 secs of the button being enabled lol.. The rest of all the books took a few days, so given that history, I don't think you need to stress.
            Horns sold out in 6 hours, but I agree, you'll have time with this one, Jeff.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian861 View Post
              Horns sold out in 6 hours, but I agree, you'll have time with this one, Jeff.
              Oh right. I forgot about that one. Well at any rate, nobody will need to sit and refresh their screen every micro second on this I am sure..

Comment

I thought that "invest in a full set to sell later" was the false narrative we tell our significant others?

It is nice once you get past the "have to get it all" and move into "only the stuff I really want" phase. I swing wildly between the two.

I am also not a big fan of the "previous rights holders" scenario with Suntup since it applies to ALL titles (sans King as that's a different "track"). I understand when it comes to a set of titles, but not to the company as a whole. Imagine of CD operated that way? I get why people like it, but it kinda keeps "casual" buyers out of the loop. I just don't like the idea of thinking well if I don't get this title then I might miss out on one I really want. I think that Centipede strikes a nice balance: there are a limited amount of slots for subscribers and they agree to buy all titles published and they get a discount and matching numbers; all remaining copies go up for the general public unless it's a series than previous rights holders are given preference. Obviously Paul can run his business as he sees fit and I harbor no ill will; just my two cents.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
                  I thought that "invest in a full set to sell later" was the false narrative we tell our significant others?

It is nice once you get past the "have to get it all" and move into "only the stuff I really want" phase. I swing wildly between the two.

I am also not a big fan of the "previous rights holders" scenario with Suntup since it applies to ALL titles (sans King as that's a different "track"). I understand when it comes to a set of titles, but not to the company as a whole. Imagine of CD operated that way? I get why people like it, but it kinda keeps "casual" buyers out of the loop. I just don't like the idea of thinking well if I don't get this title then I might miss out on one I really want. I think that Centipede strikes a nice balance: there are a limited amount of slots for subscribers and they agree to buy all titles published and they get a discount and matching numbers; all remaining copies go up for the general public unless it's a series than previous rights holders are given preference. Obviously Paul can run his business as he sees fit and I harbor no ill will; just my two cents.
                  Hundred.JPG

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
                    This brings up an interesting topic: Is it the production of the book or the signature of the author that drives a collector? It used to a lot about the author's signature followed closely behind by the production values. Now I've shifted my mindset a bit and the two are on more even playing fields.
                    I think it varies from book to book. A put a lot of value on finely crafted books and on the signature of the author. I put less value on the signatures of other contributors. With that said I look at the production values described here are, in my view, that of a fine artist edition. Signed by artists and introduction writer, slipcase with addition art. No traycase, not printed letterpress, no author signature. I have faith that Paul will produce a fine book that I would love to have on my shelves. Had this exact book been offered for $150 I probably would be in line to purchase it. At more than double that price it simply does not calculate to a value for me. Hopefully enough people will pass that will permit people like Jeffingoff to grab a copy when it goes on sale to the general public, just as I was able to do with Horns after passing on Hill House. Good luck to those lucking to pick this one up, I am sure it will be a great book. I will someday read the story but not the Suntup edition.

Comment

Hate to pass this up but looks like I'll be doing just that. Like Ron this for me is one of the greatest books I have ever read. Unlike Ron I like the way this looks. Just out of my range now.

Comment

That is funny. That is exactly the price range I was hoping to see. It would have been a stretch for me at $150 but I would have bought one.

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                        I think it varies from book to book. A put a lot of value on finely crafted books and on the signature of the author. I put less value on the signatures of other contributors. With that said I look at the production values described here are, in my view, that of a fine artist edition. Signed by artists and introduction writer, slipcase with addition art. No traycase, not printed letterpress, no author signature. I have faith that Paul will produce a fine book that I would love to have on my shelves. Had this exact book been offered for $150 I probably would be in line to purchase it. At more than double that price it simply does not calculate to a value for me. Hopefully enough people will pass that will permit people like Jeffingoff to grab a copy when it goes on sale to the general public, just as I was able to do with Horns after passing on Hill House. Good luck to those lucking to pick this one up, I am sure it will be a great book. I will someday read the story but not the Suntup edition.
                        Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Staad View Post
                          That is funny. That is exactly the price range I was hoping to see. It would have been a stretch for me at $150 but I would have bought one.
                          Had this been more like the Horns offering, Letterpress and signed by author, I would probably bitten at $600. What is being offered would have worked for me at $150.

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
                            Centipede's DUNE is on my radar as well.

Slight thread drift:

Speaking of Centipede (and Suntup)...for those like me who had to pass on both press' $500'ish editions of Shirley Jackson's THE HAUNTING OF HILL HOUSE (and Centipede's WE HAVE ALWAYS LIVED IN THE CASTLE), the Library of America's omnibus of those two novels plus a host of short stories (700-something pages) is not only on sale at their site for $28 (from reg. $35), but if you use the code SPRING2019 you get another 20% off...and it comes w/ FREE Priority shipping. I ordered my copy yesterday, and it came to $22.40 shipped. I'd almost pulled the trigger on this volume several times, but glad I waited...$22.40 shipped for this volume is a steal!

EDIT: Here is the link: https://www.loa.org/books/326-novels-stories Btw, a pop-up may come up that advertises 10% off your first order...unfortunately, you can't use two coupons combined on this one order (I tried...when you put in the 10% it wipes out the 20% discount, and you have to omit the 10% code and reapply the 20% code...it won't permit 30% off).
                            I already have a great set of softcover books from a book club . Or I would go for this. Really wanted the Suntup version of Hill House.Maybe one day.

Comment

I am super intrigued by what Paul is doing with his press, and even though I cannot afford his titles right now due to setting aside all of my spare change for something, I'm having a great time just watching his announcemnets and seeing the joy he's bringing to collectors. Presses that really go all out to do the "fine press" thing are awesome!

Brian
                              Brian James Freeman

Lividian Publications: http://www.Lividian.com
                              My Writing: http://www.BrianJamesFreeman.com

Comment

I did jump on the Library Of America edition, thanks for the heads up Ron. And Brian, you're right. Though I can't afford those Suntop books because of other interests, the excitement they generate put a smile on my face.

Comment

Working...
                                X