Is This a Regular Practice? I'm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is This a Regular Practice? I'm

Last year I learned one small press publisher raised funds by reprinting book(s) by a fairly well known, popular author. I was interested at first in buying a copy of the book being reprinted. When I emailed the main person behind the publisher and learned directly from him that this way a way of raising funds I thought - That isn't right. I had previously ordered one book from this publisher and it took a long time to get the book I ordered. The book I sent was inscribed to me, signed and does not have a number. It's like a PC copy except it doesn't say PC. This experience is the other reason I have not ordered from this IMO "shady" publisher again.

Another different, respectable publisher is reprinting books by the same author. While the contents being offered by this second publisher are not the same as a first edition book by the author, based on what I learned I suspect publisher B is doing reprints for the same reason-To raise funds.

It's not my intent to open a can of worms. I have avoided stating the publishers name(s) to avoid offending anyone. Let's simply say that I am curious.

Cap
    Books are weapons in the war of ideas.

Sorry, I'm not sure I understand what the issue is you have with either publisher...that they are doing reprints in order to raise funds...? Isn't that the endgame of any publisher: to raise funds (i.e. make profits) by publishing books, whether they be original or reprints?

I think I must've missed something in your post.
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

As long as the author or his estate is being paid I don't see the issue. If it's a book that's in public domain I don't think there is anything that can be done and they are free and clear. Not knowing much about that end of things I'm not sure. Maybe Dan or Brian would have more knowledge on this subject.

Comment

I'd love it if you named names, because I'm not quite following, Cap.
        http://thecrabbyreviewer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by bookworm 1 View Post
          As long as the author or his estate is being paid I don't see the issue. If it's a book that's in public domain I don't think there is anything that can be done and they are free and clear. Not knowing much about that end of things I'm not sure. Maybe Dan or Brian would have more knowledge on this subject.
          I might, but I'm also not really sure what the issue is here. Reprints are sort of a regular thing in the publishing world, at least when it comes to trade editions, and they aren't as common with limited editions (ie multiple limited editions of the same book), but it's also not unheard of either.
          CD Email: [email protected]

Non-Work related social media and what not:
          Instagram

Buy my stuff! - https://www.etsy.com/shop/HockersWoodWorks

Comment

Damned publishers and their incessant need to *checks notes* remain solvent!

Comment

Working...
            X