Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ORION FICTION Publishing 4 Malerman Books

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement jeffingoff's Avatar

ORION FICTION Publishing 4 Malerman Books

So for all the Malerman fans out there (me) Josh has signed a deal with Orion Publishing in the UK to publish 4 books. The details are here:
    https://www.thebookseller.com/news/o...alerman-970586

My question to anyone else in this Forum--how do you buy books from the UK? Just through Amazon? I've purchased from PS, SST, and the Folio Society, but those are small presses and I'm not sure how trade editions from bigger publishers work.

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session bsaenz24's Avatar
    I would assume there would be a US release too. Unless you really want the UK edition.

Quote Originally Posted by bsaenz24 View Post
    I would assume there would be a US release too. Unless you really want the UK edition.
    These are all UK editions. Del Rey is publishing INSPECTION in 5 days and that's the US trade. Orion will be publishing the 4 UK trade editions (one of which is INSPECTION) this year.

Senior Member Lobotomized Martin's Avatar
    I have purchased directly from Gollancz but that is not the publisher in question. You may check and see if they will sell directly to a US customer.

Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? bookworm 1's Avatar
    UP State NY the real upstate north of Albany
    What Martin said. I know some publishers don't ship to the states. It can be frustrating. So just ask.

Thanks guys! I reached out to Orion first and didn't hear back. So I posted here. Looks like I'll have to order through Amazon? Thought it would be neat to get a UK collection going for an author and make it something I pursue. Maybe not though.

Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour
    This company ships UK books free to the U.S. (and many other countries): https://www.bookdepository.com/

I bought a book from them about a year ago and had no problems

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication TacomaDiver's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post
    Thanks guys! I reached out to Orion first and didn't hear back. So I posted here. Looks like I'll have to order through Amazon? Thought it would be neat to get a UK collection going for an author and make it something I pursue. Maybe not though.
    Almost all of my UK books are purchased from Book Depository. Free shipping worldwide. And while they don’t pack things very well, I’ve never had any condition problems yet. Just read the edition details to verify which version you are ordering.

Quote Originally Posted by TacomaDiver View Post
    Almost all of my UK books are purchased from Book Depository. Free shipping worldwide. And while they don’t pack things very well, I’ve never had any condition problems yet. Just read the edition details to verify which version you are ordering.
    Thanks Jason and jsweet! This probably my way forward.

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    Yep, Book Depository was going to be my suggestion as well. There's also Amazon.uk, but for whatever reason I tend to default to Book Depository.

Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly Brian861's Avatar
    Beware of Amazon UK. I ordered several copies of Sleeping Beauties through them when it was released and books arrived all banged up to hell and back. There was no packing material at all in the box.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    Beware of Amazon UK. I ordered several copies of Sleeping Beauties through them when it was released and books arrived all banged up to hell and back. There was no packing material at all in the box.
    Wow. That's crazy! Amazon is built for high volume not high quality.

I'm iffy on beginning down this frightening path (collecting UK trade editions). But I'll see what happens when these books are released.

Wow. That's crazy! Amazon is built for high volume not high quality.

I'm iffy on beginning down this frightening path (collecting UK trade editions). But I'll see what happens when these books are released.
    Go for it! I love UK editions and have many of King's and probably all of Hill's. I will have C.J. Tudor's UK editions as well. Or maybe I should say I'll have her US editions since she's a UK based author.

The one true and tried way is to find a UK collector contact to pick these up for you and ship them. As a fellow collector, they'll get you the best copies and package them well. If you decide to go with BD, be sure to order quickly so you'll get 1st printings.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    Go for it! I love UK editions and have many of King's and probably all of Hill's. I will have C.J. Tudor's UK editions as well. Or maybe I should say I'll have her US editions since she's a UK based author.

The one true and tried way is to find a UK collector contact to pick these up for you and ship them. As a fellow collector, they'll get you the best copies and package them well. If you decide to go with BD, be sure to order quickly so you'll get 1st printings.
    Thanks for the guidance. I'm also looking forward to getting those Tudor US editions. Chalk Man should be shipping soon!

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication
    Check to see if Goldsboro and/or Anderida will be selling copies. There's no discount off of MSRP and shipping can hurt, but you will absolutely get the book in pristine condition and that's always been worth the extra costs to me.

Junior Member Part-timer
    BD is definitely the way to go. For a UK. specialty book dealer I suggest Jeff N Joys. Very good and efficient. On Amazon: Even if you pre order early, I have had books arriving in 2nd editions or later (J. Hill, Dr Who Meets Scratchman). On those occasions I just bought a first at B & N and returned my later edition the next day that I had received from amazon.

Jim

Thanks for the guidance. I'm also looking forward to getting those Tudor US editions. Chalk Man should be shipping soon!
    Yes! I'm getting her Sub Press S/Ls via Camelot.

Quote Originally Posted by slayn666 View Post
    Check to see if Goldsboro and/or Anderida will be selling copies. There's no discount off of MSRP and shipping can hurt, but you will absolutely get the book in pristine condition and that's always been worth the extra costs to me.
    Agreed!

Senior Member Lobotomized Martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by slayn666 View Post
    I forgot about Goldsboro. I have used them in the past and had good luck.

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    Love Goldsboro...funny enough, I just sent them a query email this morning to see if they're going to be carrying a particular title. Not sure if they carry mass-market paperbacks (which I *think* is Orion's format...?), but they're great for pristine (and often signed) 1st ed. UK HCs of genre fiction. Waterstones is another one worth checking if BD doesn't work.

Member Displaying Erratic Behaviour
    I bought Sarah Pinborough's newest via Amazon UK. It was out there way before here. I had no issues. I did have to create a new acct as they don't really keep all these different Amazon's together apparently. I'm pretty sure I've ordered via Amazon Germany at some point too but that was probably music.