Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Signed Thomas Harris book for under $20...? Yes, please!

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed
    Thanks for the heads-up, Ron. I would have totally missed this.
    You'd think, being a B&N member for longer than I can remember, they'd target me with an e-mail about this. I go there every week, and buy horror comics, horror magazines, horror novels...and I get nothing. If I buy my wife a historical romance, or my son a Minecraft book....? They target me with "You might like...." e-mails about video game books and romance novels.

It says on the order page that no coupons are allowed, buy I tried the three that I have on hand, just in case. (They didn't work.) But this is a steal, regardless. I'm really excited about this.

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement Ben Staad's Avatar
    I was very close to ordering this. I still may before the weekend is over if it's still available. Thanks for the information.

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement jeffingoff's Avatar
    WHAT the actual F? The SIGNED edition is still available for pre-order??? This has to be a scam. Someone on the TDT forum mentioned autopen and the signed Jurassic Park scandal. That's got to be what's happening here.

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post
    WHAT the actual F? The SIGNED edition is still available for pre-order??? This has to be a scam. Someone on the TDT forum mentioned autopen and the signed Jurassic Park scandal. That's got to be what's happening here.
    Don’t believe everything you read on the Internet, Jeff ...it was just someone spouting off a personal theory/guess that is as easily discounted as it is believed. I’m going with legit until proven otherwise...I don’t think B&N is pulling a scam.

I suspect the whole issue r.e. remaining copies is that it has not been promoted…I’m on Barnes & Noble‘s email list, and I have not seen any promotion of this signed title at all, not once. I only found out from another poster at TDT.org. If not for him, I wouldn’t have my copy and I wouldn’t have been able to notify everyone here who then got copies.

Stay positive and don’t let conspiratorial theories of some lone guy who has no more knowledge of the issue than you or me unsettle you...I really think we’re fine and it’ll be as advertised. If not, B&N will have a lot of returns and bad publicity on their hands, and they don’t want that.

Senior Member Lobotomized Martin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RonClinton View Post
    Don’t believe everything you read on the Internet, Jeff ...it was just someone spouting off a personal theory/guess that is as easily discounted as it is believed. I’m going with legit until proven otherwise...I don’t think B&N is pulling a scam.

I suspect the whole issue r.e. remaining copies is that it has not been promoted…I’m on Barnes & Noble‘s email list, and I have not seen any promotion of this signed title at all, not once. I only found out from another poster at TDT.org. If not for him, I wouldn’t have my copy and I wouldn’t have been able to notify everyone here who then got copies.

Stay positive and don’t let conspiratorial theories of some lone guy who has no more knowledge of the issue than you or me unsettle you...I really think we’re fine and it’ll be as advertised. If not, B&N will have a lot of returns and bad publicity on their hands, and they don’t want that.
    Often with the signed copies the quantities are split between large retailers. I have looked for signed copies at Powell's, Books a Million and others and found no evidence. I am assuming B&N paid a premium to get all signed copies. Coupled with the previously noted non-promotion the fact they have not sold makes sense to me.

Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly Brian861's Avatar
    I finally saw it in a newsletter from them yesterday I believe it was. It wasn't promoted and was just listed among all the other books. I could have easily missed it had I not been looking for it.

Seems crazy they wouldn't promote something like that. Especially if they're trying to compete with Amazon.

I'll take Ron's advice and relax and trust that the signatures are not facsimiles or autopen incarnations. I'm not risking all that much money anyway. The reward is much greater than the risk and I'm very glad you shared this with us here, Ron!

Seems crazy they wouldn't promote something like that. Especially if they're trying to compete with Amazon.

I'll take Ron's advice and relax and trust that the signatures are not facsimiles or autopen incarnations. I'm not risking all that much money anyway. The reward is much greater than the risk and I'm very glad you shared this with us here, Ron!
    Amen!

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed
    I'm wondering if Harris agreed to do this on the condition that there wouldn't be too many to sign, and that's why B&N hasn't been promoting this. If not for Ron, I still wouldn't have a clue that this was available. As opposed to the Ric Flair/Charlotte Flair signed copy that I bought from B&N a few years back, where I must have seen it promoted in numerous e-mail blasts for weeks on end.

(As for autopen, I have a buttload of Stephen King limited editions, and the signature is the same, to a T, on all of them. You can't convince me that King isn't using an autopen....)

I believe B&N told Harris, "Put the pen on the page or it gets the hose again".

I figured it out. It says it's signed but not who signed it! Could be Thomas Harris. Could be Jeffingoff! WHO KNOWS??

"We just promised it would be signed." Lawyer for B&N.

Senior Member 1st Electroshock Session Sock Monkey's Avatar
    I figured it out. It says it's signed but not who signed it! Could be Thomas Harris. Could be Jeffingoff! WHO KNOWS??

"We just promised it would be signed." Lawyer for B&N.
    If I get a copy and it doesn't have an authentic Jeffingoff signature I'm gonna be ticked!

Quote Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
    If I get a copy and it doesn't have an authentic Jeffingoff signature I'm gonna be ticked!
    Me too!

Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? bookworm 1's Avatar
    UP State NY the real upstate north of Albany
    Now that would be awesome!! A Thomas Harris book sites by Jeffingoff. Might be able to sell it on eBay and get a quarter of my money back.

Quote Originally Posted by bookworm 1 View Post
    Now that would be awesome!! A Thomas Harris book sites by Jeffingoff. Might be able to sell it on eBay and get a quarter of my money back.
    I don't know. Dude's a pretty big YouTube star these days.

Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? bookworm 1's Avatar
    UP State NY the real upstate north of Albany
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    True. Maybe I'll get back 1/3 of the cost then.

Quote Originally Posted by bookworm 1 View Post
    True. Maybe I'll get back 1/3 of the cost then.
    Your listing better state "Wonderful book by acclaimed author in near mint condition. Unfortunately it has been defaced by some asshat. Which is why I'm forced to sell at a discount. My loss = your gain. Bid with confidence!"

Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post

Well, I do need to shed some of these winter pounds . . .

Ha! I'll be happy to let B&N know I'm available if they need to make good on a crazy promise.

Senior Member Involuntarily Committed Marmaduke Grigsby's Avatar
    Stephen King tweeted and posted on Facebook about this book this morning.

CARI MORA QUOTE.jpg