Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Signed Thomas Harris book for under $20...? Yes, please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They are still available. I just ordered one. I wasn't going to get this book right away but how could I pass on this offer?

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
      Probably, but either way it's a heckuva lot more signing than he's ever done before, probably more this time (500? 1000?) than the cumulation of his entire career, if aftermarket availability of signed books by him are any gauge. I have an inscribed SILENCE OF THE LAMBS and a signed RED DRAGON, but I know I'm awfully lucky in that regard because he's always been notoriously reluctant to sign (see the recent Sub Press edition of SofL for recent confirmation of that).

I'm just hoping this is a believe-it-or-not, amazing-but-true deal and not some horrendous screw-up on the part of some B&N webmaster.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21325[/ATTACH]
      Turns out these are all singed copies due to a fire in the warehouse. Sorry for the typo.

Comment

Reserved this one from the library two weeks ago. Looking forward to reading it.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
          Turns out these are all singed copies due to a fire in the warehouse. Sorry for the typo.
          Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

It was a hot deal.

Comment

Thanks for the heads-up, Ron. I would have totally missed this.
              You'd think, being a B&N member for longer than I can remember, they'd target me with an e-mail about this. I go there every week, and buy horror comics, horror magazines, horror novels...and I get nothing. If I buy my wife a historical romance, or my son a Minecraft book....? They target me with "You might like...." e-mails about video game books and romance novels.

It says on the order page that no coupons are allowed, buy I tried the three that I have on hand, just in case. (They didn't work.) But this is a steal, regardless. I'm really excited about this.
              http://thecrabbyreviewer.blogspot.com/

Comment

I was very close to ordering this. I still may before the weekend is over if it's still available. Thanks for the information.
                Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

WHAT the actual F? The SIGNED edition is still available for pre-order??? This has to be a scam. Someone on the TDT forum mentioned autopen and the signed Jurassic Park scandal. That's got to be what's happening here.

Comment

WHAT the actual F? The SIGNED edition is still available for pre-order??? This has to be a scam. Someone on the TDT forum mentioned autopen and the signed Jurassic Park scandal. That's got to be what's happening here.
                    Don’t believe everything you read on the Internet, Jeff ...it was just someone spouting off a personal theory/guess that is as easily discounted as it is believed. I’m going with legit until proven otherwise...I don’t think B&N is pulling a scam.

I suspect the whole issue r.e. remaining copies is that it has not been promoted…I’m on Barnes & Noble‘s email list, and I have not seen any promotion of this signed title at all, not once. I only found out from another poster at TDT.org. If not for him, I wouldn’t have my copy and I wouldn’t have been able to notify everyone here who then got copies.

Stay positive and don’t let conspiratorial theories of some lone guy who has no more knowledge of the issue than you or me unsettle you...I really think we’re fine and it’ll be as advertised. If not, B&N will have a lot of returns and bad publicity on their hands, and they don’t want that.
                    Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
                      Don’t believe everything you read on the Internet, Jeff ...it was just someone spouting off a personal theory/guess that is as easily discounted as it is believed. I’m going with legit until proven otherwise...I don’t think B&N is pulling a scam.

I suspect the whole issue r.e. remaining copies is that it has not been promoted…I’m on Barnes & Noble‘s email list, and I have not seen any promotion of this signed title at all, not once. I only found out from another poster at TDT.org. If not for him, I wouldn’t have my copy and I wouldn’t have been able to notify everyone here who then got copies.

Stay positive and don’t let conspiratorial theories of some lone guy who has no more knowledge of the issue than you or me unsettle you...I really think we’re fine and it’ll be as advertised. If not, B&N will have a lot of returns and bad publicity on their hands, and they don’t want that.
                      Often with the signed copies the quantities are split between large retailers. I have looked for signed copies at Powell's, Books a Million and others and found no evidence. I am assuming B&N paid a premium to get all signed copies. Coupled with the previously noted non-promotion the fact they have not sold makes sense to me.

Comment

I finally saw it in a newsletter from them yesterday I believe it was. It wasn't promoted and was just listed among all the other books. I could have easily missed it had I not been looking for it.

Comment

Seems crazy they wouldn't promote something like that. Especially if they're trying to compete with Amazon.

I'll take Ron's advice and relax and trust that the signatures are not facsimiles or autopen incarnations. I'm not risking all that much money anyway. The reward is much greater than the risk and I'm very glad you shared this with us here, Ron!

Comment

Seems crazy they wouldn't promote something like that. Especially if they're trying to compete with Amazon.

I'll take Ron's advice and relax and trust that the signatures are not facsimiles or autopen incarnations. I'm not risking all that much money anyway. The reward is much greater than the risk and I'm very glad you shared this with us here, Ron!
                            Amen!

Comment

I'm wondering if Harris agreed to do this on the condition that there wouldn't be too many to sign, and that's why B&N hasn't been promoting this. If not for Ron, I still wouldn't have a clue that this was available. As opposed to the Ric Flair/Charlotte Flair signed copy that I bought from B&N a few years back, where I must have seen it promoted in numerous e-mail blasts for weeks on end.

(As for autopen, I have a buttload of Stephen King limited editions, and the signature is the same, to a T, on all of them. You can't convince me that King isn't using an autopen....)
                              http://thecrabbyreviewer.blogspot.com/

Comment

I believe B&N told Harris, "Put the pen on the page or it gets the hose again".

Comment

Working...
                                X