Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Signed Thomas Harris book for under $20...? Yes, please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Martin View Post
    I agree with Mr. Staad. I believe it would detract from the sale. The fact that the tip in page is blank does open it up for discussion though. I believe this is the first time I have seen a blanks page used for a tip in sheet.
    It happens a lot, in my experience; this is how publishers typically release signed trade HCs. Those special signed editions that B&N release on Black Friday, for instance, are examples of the practice. The problem, of course, is not knowing how many copies were released as such. As near as I can tell, whenever this is done, it's done in rather liberal numbers...even the Harris volume seems available in multitude, which is pretty surprising, given his past reluctance for promotion and signing.
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
      It happens a lot, in my experience; this is how publishers typically release signed trade HCs. Those special signed editions that B&N release on Black Friday, for instance, are examples of the practice. The problem, of course, is not knowing how many copies were released as such. As near as I can tell, whenever this is done, it's done in rather liberal numbers...even the Harris volume seems available in multitude, which is pretty surprising, given his past reluctance for promotion and signing.
      In my experience they usually contain a statement to the effect of this is a signed edition from the publisher.

Comment

I didn't get an owl, but it tickles me to know that these are floating around out there. Adding those little sketches to some copies was a nice touch, especially when you consider how many of those sheets he may have signed. As I said earlier in the thread, Mr. Harris seems like a good guy.
        http://thecrabbyreviewer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
          Just for clarification. Would the professional help be to assist in destroying multiple books or to control your desire to destroy said books?
          Both, you know me well, Martin. I'll put the scissors down now.

Comment

Started reading it tonight, and an hour or two and 50-something pages later, I’m throwing in the towel. Turns out all the bad reviews that I ignored until I could pass my own judgement on it were, in fact, right on the money. It’s so bad, so poorly written that I find it stupefying that it came from the pen of Thomas Harris. There are so many issues ranging from characterization to plot to pacing to even simple grammatical errors that I wouldn’t even know where to begin explaining the ways in which this book is a train-wreck...of course, the more pointed question is, Why? Why is this new creation of Harris’ so poor compared to what had come before? I’ve never read anything so disappointing, so shockingly, unexpectedly mediocre versus what was expected...and “mediocre” is putting it kindly.
            Last edited by RonClinton; 08-27-2019, 06:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
              Started reading it tonight, and an hour or two and 50-something pages later, I’m throwing in the towel. Turns out all the bad reviews that I ignored until I could pass my own judgement on it were, in fact, right on the money. It’s so bad, so poorly written that I find it stupefying that it came from the pen of Thomas Harris. There are so many issues ranging from characterization to plot to pacing to even simple grammatical errors that I wouldn’t even know where to begin explaining the ways in which this book is a train-wreck...of course, the more pointed question is, Why? Why is this new creation of Harris’ so poor compared to what had come before? I’ve never read anything so disappointing, so shockingly, unexpectedly mediocre versus what was expected...and “mediocre” is putting it kindly.
              GAH that sucks. I never got around to reading it and I think your review may be the final coffin nail. There's no way that these reviews are a matter of opinion. Not when it's universal and uniform. It's actually beyond subjective at this point. And that's so sad.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
                GAH that sucks. I never got around to reading it and I think your review may be the final coffin nail. There's no way that these reviews are a matter of opinion. Not when it's universal and uniform. It's actually beyond subjective at this point. And that's so sad.
                It really was a crappy book all around. I had to push myself to get through it and I loved Silence and Red Dragon. It truly felt like someone else must have written it. It felt like a heavily detailed screenplay, but a very shallow detailed novel. You didn't care about a single character. The only person I felt bad for was myself because I bought it.

Comment

To me, it was worth it just to get a hardcover book that is signed by him for less than $20 but it's a real shame the book itself isn't better.

(I haven't read it and it's highly unlikely that I ever will given the reviews I've seen.)

Comment

Originally posted by Marmaduke Grigsby View Post
                    To me, it was worth it just to get a hardcover book that is signed by him for less than $20 but it's a real shame the book itself isn't better.

(I haven't read it and it's highly unlikely that I ever will given the reviews I've seen.)
                    The sig is the only reason I will keep my copy now and that's barely enough.

Comment

Originally posted by bsaenz24 View Post
                      The sig is the only reason I will keep my copy now and that's barely enough.
                      Me, too. I have it shelved behind my other Thomas Harris books, all of which save for this one are placed spine out…this one is just hidden behind them in the dark. Don’t even care to see it...even at $20 for a signed Thomas Harris, I feel like I got snookered.

Comment

I must be the lone weirdo then. I liked it. Could have been better in some places but overall a good story. Of course I haven't read anything else by him. Saw the movies. Books have just been on my TBR.

Comment

Originally posted by khaos View Post
                          I must be the lone weirdo then. I liked it. Could have been better in some places but overall a good story. Of course I haven't read anything else by him. Saw the movies. Books have just been on my TBR.
                          One you read Red Dragon and Silence of the Lambs, you'll see what he is really capable of.

Comment

Originally posted by khaos View Post
                            It was not horrible but compared to anything else he has written it was not good.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
                              Think I agree with you on this. Not sure if I even want to keep my copy. Signed or not.

Comment

Man, that is a brutal critique, Ron. Fully warranted, I'm sure, unfortunately. I did buy it, but I had already pretty much given up on him after the profoundly disappointing (to me) HANNIBAL. Having counted RED DRAGON & SILENCE as 2 of my top 5 novels at that point- I KNEW that the 3rd was going to be amazing. Those 1st two were SO good- it couldn't possibly be anything less than great. I couldn't believe as I was reading it that it was the same author. The tone was all wrong. The plot was wing-wang. The characters weren't compelling. It felt lazy and puerile. I completely understood when Jodi Foster backed out of repeating her Oscar winning role after she read the book, as well as director Jonathan Demme. I know some people liked it, and that's fine. Actually, I like all the Lecter parts in Florence in Ridley Scott's movie just fine. The book- just flat out didn't like it. How can someone write not one, but two perfect thrillers- and then completely lose their way?

Comment

Working...
                                X