Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Signed Thomas Harris book for under $20...? Yes, please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by swintek View Post
    Man, that is a brutal critique, Ron. Fully warranted, I'm sure, unfortunately. I did buy it, but I had already pretty much given up on him after the profoundly disappointing (to me) HANNIBAL. Having counted RED DRAGON & SILENCE as 2 of my top 5 novels at that point- I KNEW that the 3rd was going to be amazing. Those 1st two were SO good- it couldn't possibly be anything less than great. I couldn't believe as I was reading it that it was the same author. The tone was all wrong. The plot was wing-wang. The characters weren't compelling. It felt lazy and puerile. I completely understood when Jodi Foster backed out of repeating her Oscar winning role after she read the book, as well as director Jonathan Demme. I know some people liked it, and that's fine. Actually, I like all the Lecter parts in Florence in Ridley Scott's movie just fine. The book- just flat out didn't like it. How can someone write not one, but two perfect thrillers- and then completely lose their way?
    I had the same issue with HANNIBAL and, worse, HANNIBAL RISING. I didn't learn my lesson w/ HANNIBAL because, like you, I treasured RED DRAGON and SILENCE OF THE LAMBS so much that I wanted to revisit that magic again, and I gave him the benefit of the doubt and read RISING even though the previous volume was disappointing. Needless to say (if you've read them), that magic wasn't in the fourth Hannibal volume, either.

All that said, the utter narrative failure that is CARI MORA makes HANNIBAL and HANNIBAL RISING seem brilliant in comparison.

I've had my issues with favorite authors back in the day becoming contemporary authors whose work I no longer enjoy and, in fact, am no longer able to even recognize the quaities in their work that once made it so special to me -- Dean Koontz and Simon Clark leap to mind -- but the plummet from RED DRAGON and SILENCE OF THE LAMBS to, now, CARI MORA is certainly the most egregious example of that unfortunate transition I've ever experienced as a reader.
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Yikes!

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
      I had the same issue with HANNIBAL and, worse, HANNIBAL RISING. I didn't learn my lesson w/ HANNIBAL because, like you, I treasured RED DRAGON and SILENCE OF THE LAMBS so much that I wanted to revisit that magic again, and I gave him the benefit of the doubt and read RISING even though the previous volume was disappointing. Needless to say (if you've read them), that magic wasn't in the fourth Hannibal volume, either.

All that said, the utter narrative failure that is CARI MORA makes HANNIBAL and HANNIBAL RISING seem brilliant in comparison.

I've had my issues with favorite authors back in the day becoming contemporary authors whose work I no longer enjoy and, in fact, am no longer able to even recognize the quaities in their work that once made it so special to me -- Dean Koontz and Simon Clark leap to mind -- but the plummet from RED DRAGON and SILENCE OF THE LAMBS to, now, CARI MORA is certainly the most egregious example of that unfortunate transition I've ever experienced as a reader.
      Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

I really enjoyed Hannibal. Hannibal Rising felt forced to me, it was a story that did not need to be told in my view, but it was not bad. Cari Mora is just not a good story. Even worse coming from Harris, it was just a poorly told story.

Comment

I haven't read the new one yet but I loved Hannibal. I've actually read it three times now. It is a messy book but in the most beautiful ,for lack of a better word, way. I think I read somewhere that Hannibal Rising was a contractual obligation but I could just be pulling that out of thin air.

King certainly loved Hannibal and wrote a glowing review for it in the NYT...

Hannibal the Cannibal

I recognize that both RD(which is actually one of only a handful of books that had me looking over my shoulder when I was home alone, ha!) and TSotL are better books but Hannibal is just insane and I love it!

Comment

Goldsboro Books just put up for sale one copy of the signed/numbered/traycased edition that sold out long ago:

https://www.goldsborobooks.com/produ...deluxe-edition

Comment

Goldsboro Books just put up for sale one copy of the signed/numbered/traycased edition that sold out long ago:

https://www.goldsborobooks.com/produ...deluxe-edition
              Alex, I'll take "What are books I wouldn't take even for free!" for $500.

Comment

Originally posted by bsaenz24 View Post
                Brad living the thug life.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
                  Brad living the thug life.
                  Yeah, it was time for a change from my old ways...

Pug-life.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by bsaenz24 View Post
                    Burn.

And truth.

Comment

Working...
                    X