Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
Results 181 to 199 of 199

Thread: Signed Thomas Harris book for under $20...? Yes, please!

  1. #181
    Senior Member Hearing Voices
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    WA State
    Posts
    1,384
    Rep Power
    13
    Picking up my held mail (from the Ireland trip posted about elsewhere here) from the Post Office today...hope mine has the remarque! Wonder how many of those he did, and what the particular significance is? I know from the interview I posted a link to earlier than he helps with rehabilitation, but I'm curious to know what significance it held for him r.e. this book, if any.

    EDIT: Never mind, just revisited that interview, and it explains it:

    "Pelican Harbor Seabird Station, where Thomas Harris has been a regular visitor for years, appears in his new book, “Cari Mora.” [shows Harris holding an owl]
    Harris and I met on a bright, muggy morning in the parking lot of the Pelican Harbor Seabird Station, an animal rescue center on Biscayne Bay that features prominently in his new novel. Cari works there as a volunteer, caring for injured birds.
    Harris, a nature lover, has been visiting the center regularly for 20 years. He’s brought orphaned squirrels and an injured ibis there, and he took a wildlife rehabilitation workshop, learning how to intubate a distressed animal by practicing on a dead possum. “Everyone else got a bird,” he says."
    Last edited by RonClinton; 05-30-2019 at 06:57 PM.

  2. #182
    Senior Member Hearing Voices
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    WA State
    Posts
    1,384
    Rep Power
    13

  3. #183
    Senior Member Lobotomized Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    5,582
    Rep Power
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by RonClinton View Post
    I did not hate the novel but to be honest in reading his review, I can't dispute it. But hey, the owl is cool!

  4. #184
    Senior Member Hearing Voices Tommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,340
    Rep Power
    11
    I'm glad you got the bird, Martin.

    I have a naughty question. If someone were to say remove the sig sheet from an extra copy of Cari Mora and bind it or paste it into a first print of SotL or Red Dragon etc. do you think that would increase the value and would folks accept it as a signed copy?

  5. #185
    Senior Member 2nd Rubber Room Confinement Theli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Posts
    3,150
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    I'm glad you got the bird, Martin.

    I have a naughty question. If someone were to say remove the sig sheet from an extra copy of Cari Mora and bind it or paste it into a first print of SotL or Red Dragon etc. do you think that would increase the value and would folks accept it as a signed copy?
    I really doubt it, unless you do a custom rebinding, but even that would probably cost more than the value increase would justify I expect.

  6. #186
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement jeffingoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois, United States
    Posts
    1,522
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    I'm glad you got the bird, Martin.

    I have a naughty question. If someone were to say remove the sig sheet from an extra copy of Cari Mora and bind it or paste it into a first print of SotL or Red Dragon etc. do you think that would increase the value and would folks accept it as a signed copy?
    That's a great question and an interesting proposition. Since it's a legit signature, wouldn't it just be counted as a bookplate or a tipped in signature page? Unless it was a book like THE ROAD where the author explicitly stated that he will not sign any copies beyond the 250 he signed and gave to his son, then it might be a stretch, but not entirely a fraud. After all, is SotL a book that Harris will sign? And is that not a genuine Harris signature? You'd be devaluing a book to revalue another book.

    I'd love to hear what others think. Seems borderline shady--but only if you weren't upfront about the whole process and how that SotL came to be signed.

  7. #187
    Senior Member Hearing Voices Ben Staad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Beyond the Grave
    Posts
    1,427
    Rep Power
    12
    I have seen people rebind books and other things, including adding in a signature sheet, and the value doesn't seem to be there. There are a few anomalies but overall IMO the value is in the original untouched book and the authors signature in that book.

  8. #188
    Senior Member Hearing Voices Ben Staad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Beyond the Grave
    Posts
    1,427
    Rep Power
    12
    I will add on to this and say people have made some really cool limited and/or one and done rebinds, etc. But for the average book collector looking to complete their 1sts I think something like this would slightly detract from the sale.

  9. #189
    Senior Member Lobotomized Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    5,582
    Rep Power
    23
    I agree with Mr. Staad. I believe it would detract from the sale. The fact that the tip in page is blank does open it up for discussion though. I believe this is the first time I have seen a blanks page used for a tip in sheet.

  10. #190
    Senior Member Hearing Voices
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    WA State
    Posts
    1,384
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by RonClinton View Post
    Picking up my held mail (from the Ireland trip posted about elsewhere here) from the Post Office today...hope mine has the remarque!
    ...aaaannd no birdie. Ah well.

  11. #191
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement jeffingoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois, United States
    Posts
    1,522
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by RonClinton View Post
    ...aaaannd no birdie. Ah well.
    At least you'll have a boring story to read! Then you can tear out the signature page and glue it into Red Dragon.

  12. #192
    Senior Member Hearing Voices
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    WA State
    Posts
    1,384
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post
    At least you'll have a boring story to read! Then you can tear out the signature page and glue it into Red Dragon.
    SACRILEGE!

    Plus, ahem, my 1st HC of RED DRAGON is already signed...but still: SACRILEGE!

  13. #193
    Senior Member Hearing Voices Tommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,340
    Rep Power
    11
    Thanks for the replies everyone. Some interesting thoughts here. My extra copy showed up with no damn bird, Sigh. So I'm ripping it apart, pasting it in my Easton Press or Sub Press edition.

    J/K, if I were to do something like that, I would definitely seek professional help.

  14. #194
    Senior Member Hearing Voices Tommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,340
    Rep Power
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    I agree with Mr. Staad. I believe it would detract from the sale. The fact that the tip in page is blank does open it up for discussion though. I believe this is the first time I have seen a blanks page used for a tip in sheet.
    There was a paperback that King signed on a blank page like that and someone rebound them into hardcover leather editions. It was a short story collection I believe. Does anyone know of what I speak?

  15. #195
    Senior Member Lobotomized Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    5,582
    Rep Power
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Thanks for the replies everyone. Some interesting thoughts here. My extra copy showed up with no damn bird, Sigh. So I'm ripping it apart, pasting it in my Easton Press or Sub Press edition.

    J/K, if I were to do something like that, I would definitely seek professional help.
    Just for clarification. Would the professional help be to assist in destroying multiple books or to control your desire to destroy said books?

  16. #196
    Senior Member Hearing Voices
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    WA State
    Posts
    1,384
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    I agree with Mr. Staad. I believe it would detract from the sale. The fact that the tip in page is blank does open it up for discussion though. I believe this is the first time I have seen a blanks page used for a tip in sheet.
    It happens a lot, in my experience; this is how publishers typically release signed trade HCs. Those special signed editions that B&N release on Black Friday, for instance, are examples of the practice. The problem, of course, is not knowing how many copies were released as such. As near as I can tell, whenever this is done, it's done in rather liberal numbers...even the Harris volume seems available in multitude, which is pretty surprising, given his past reluctance for promotion and signing.

  17. #197
    Senior Member Lobotomized Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    5,582
    Rep Power
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by RonClinton View Post
    It happens a lot, in my experience; this is how publishers typically release signed trade HCs. Those special signed editions that B&N release on Black Friday, for instance, are examples of the practice. The problem, of course, is not knowing how many copies were released as such. As near as I can tell, whenever this is done, it's done in rather liberal numbers...even the Harris volume seems available in multitude, which is pretty surprising, given his past reluctance for promotion and signing.
    In my experience they usually contain a statement to the effect of this is a signed edition from the publisher.

  18. #198
    Senior Member Involuntarily Committed
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    202
    Rep Power
    2
    I didn't get an owl, but it tickles me to know that these are floating around out there. Adding those little sketches to some copies was a nice touch, especially when you consider how many of those sheets he may have signed. As I said earlier in the thread, Mr. Harris seems like a good guy.

  19. #199
    Senior Member Hearing Voices Tommy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    1,340
    Rep Power
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Just for clarification. Would the professional help be to assist in destroying multiple books or to control your desire to destroy said books?
    Both, you know me well, Martin. I'll put the scissors down now.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •