Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Signed Thomas Harris book for under $20...? Yes, please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Picking up my held mail (from the Ireland trip posted about elsewhere here) from the Post Office today...hope mine has the remarque! Wonder how many of those he did, and what the particular significance is? I know from the interview I posted a link to earlier than he helps with rehabilitation, but I'm curious to know what significance it held for him r.e. this book, if any.

EDIT: Never mind, just revisited that interview, and it explains it:

"Pelican Harbor Seabird Station, where Thomas Harris has been a regular visitor for years, appears in his new book, “Cari Mora.” [shows Harris holding an owl]
    Harris and I met on a bright, muggy morning in the parking lot of the Pelican Harbor Seabird Station, an animal rescue center on Biscayne Bay that features prominently in his new novel. Cari works there as a volunteer, caring for injured birds.
    Harris, a nature lover, has been visiting the center regularly for 20 years. He’s brought orphaned squirrels and an injured ibis there, and he took a wildlife rehabilitation workshop, learning how to intubate a distressed animal by practicing on a dead possum. “Everyone else got a bird,” he says."
    Last edited by RonClinton; 05-30-2019, 06:57 PM.
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Ouch:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/enter...=.d99ae8ca2d0f

Comment

I did not hate the novel but to be honest in reading his review, I can't dispute it. But hey, the owl is cool!

Comment

I'm glad you got the bird, Martin.

I have a naughty question. If someone were to say remove the sig sheet from an extra copy of Cari Mora and bind it or paste it into a first print of SotL or Red Dragon etc. do you think that would increase the value and would folks accept it as a signed copy?

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy View Post

I have a naughty question. If someone were to say remove the sig sheet from an extra copy of Cari Mora and bind it or paste it into a first print of SotL or Red Dragon etc. do you think that would increase the value and would folks accept it as a signed copy?
            I really doubt it, unless you do a custom rebinding, but even that would probably cost more than the value increase would justify I expect.

Comment

That's a great question and an interesting proposition. Since it's a legit signature, wouldn't it just be counted as a bookplate or a tipped in signature page? Unless it was a book like THE ROAD where the author explicitly stated that he will not sign any copies beyond the 250 he signed and gave to his son, then it might be a stretch, but not entirely a fraud. After all, is SotL a book that Harris will sign? And is that not a genuine Harris signature? You'd be devaluing a book to revalue another book.

I'd love to hear what others think. Seems borderline shady--but only if you weren't upfront about the whole process and how that SotL came to be signed.

Comment

I have seen people rebind books and other things, including adding in a signature sheet, and the value doesn't seem to be there. There are a few anomalies but overall IMO the value is in the original untouched book and the authors signature in that book.
                Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

I will add on to this and say people have made some really cool limited and/or one and done rebinds, etc. But for the average book collector looking to complete their 1sts I think something like this would slightly detract from the sale.
                  Looking for the fonting of youth.

Comment

I agree with Mr. Staad. I believe it would detract from the sale. The fact that the tip in page is blank does open it up for discussion though. I believe this is the first time I have seen a blanks page used for a tip in sheet.

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
                      Picking up my held mail (from the Ireland trip posted about elsewhere here) from the Post Office today...hope mine has the remarque!
                      ...aaaannd no birdie. Ah well.

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
                        ...aaaannd no birdie. Ah well.
                        At least you'll have a boring story to read! Then you can tear out the signature page and glue it into Red Dragon.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffingoff View Post
                          At least you'll have a boring story to read! Then you can tear out the signature page and glue it into Red Dragon.
                          SACRILEGE!

Plus, ahem, my 1st HC of RED DRAGON is already signed...but still: SACRILEGE!

Comment

Thanks for the replies everyone. Some interesting thoughts here. My extra copy showed up with no damn bird, Sigh. So I'm ripping it apart, pasting it in my Easton Press or Sub Press edition.

J/K, if I were to do something like that, I would definitely seek professional help.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin View Post
                              I agree with Mr. Staad. I believe it would detract from the sale. The fact that the tip in page is blank does open it up for discussion though. I believe this is the first time I have seen a blanks page used for a tip in sheet.
                              There was a paperback that King signed on a blank page like that and someone rebound them into hardcover leather editions. It was a short story collection I believe. Does anyone know of what I speak?

Comment

Thanks for the replies everyone. Some interesting thoughts here. My extra copy showed up with no damn bird, Sigh. So I'm ripping it apart, pasting it in my Easton Press or Sub Press edition.

J/K, if I were to do something like that, I would definitely seek professional help.
                                Just for clarification. Would the professional help be to assist in destroying multiple books or to control your desire to destroy said books?

Comment

Working...
                                X