Out of the Blue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Out of the Blue

Been at least five years in the making but I just got word from Camelot books that Gauntlet's Beardless Warriors and Brothers In Arms by Richard Matheson/limited is finally done and shipping. The downside, no promised slipcase, but the price was adjusted accordingly. I have always maintained one of the big difference's between Matheson and Bradbury was the fact that Matheson served and served in a combat unit during WW2. These are great stories. Glad I waited it out!

Bradbury and Matheson two of the best. I ordered this from Gauntlet when it was first announced. Just the Trade hardcover's because that's what I could afford at the time.
    I still prefer Bradbury. He has a story in this collection. Looking forward to reading this one.

Comment

I keep hoping that CD will get copies of these for Collector's Club members.........
      http://thecrabbyreviewer.blogspot.com/

Comment

I was saving my pennies for the lettered edition and Gauntlet doubled the price to a $1000. There’s just no way I’ll ever swing that.

Comment

WOW that is kind of insane. When I placed the order with Camelot years ago, the list price for the slip-cased limited set was $175.00. Since the slipcase was dropped Kim and Tony cut the price to $125.00 which I consider reasonable. I'll find or make a nice slip case.

Comment

I hadn’t heard that the slipcase had been dropped. Since the books were only supposed to be sold as a set, the slipcase made perfect sense.

On a side note, I need to learn how to make slipcases. Just don’t know if I have the patience.

Comment

I received my signed/#d set a couple weeks ago or so. They’re nice, but be aware that contrary to the sales copy that all contributors except for Barker and Bradbury would sign, there are an additional half-dozen who also do not (Nolan, Braunbeck, et all). A disappointing surprise on an otherwise nice set.
              Twitter: https://twitter.com/ron_clinton

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
                I hadn’t heard that the slipcase had been dropped. Since the books were only supposed to be sold as a set, the slipcase made perfect sense.

On a side note, I need to learn how to make slipcases. Just don’t know if I have the patience.
                I have been talking about learning how to make slipcases for years. I even found a class just haven't signed up yet. A few years ago I found a bunch National Geographic slip cases for next to nothing. I've been experimenting with recovering them with mixed results LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by RonClinton View Post
                  I received my signed/#d set a couple weeks ago or so. They’re nice, but be aware that contrary to the sales copy that all contributors except for Barker and Bradbury would sign, there are an additional half-dozen who also do not (Nolan, Braunbeck, et all). A disappointing surprise on an otherwise nice set.
                  Thanks for the heads up Ron. Tough news about the signatures.

Comment

That is rather disappointing.

Comment

Originally posted by Sock Monkey View Post
                      That is rather disappointing.
                      I agree. Particularly so is the fact that it *still* (I just checked) says all but the two will sign, even though it’s far past the time the publisher would know this apparently optimistic ad copy did not turn out to be correct.

I emailed him twice after the books’ arrival to see if it was perhaps just my copy, perhaps misbound and missing a third sig page, but never received a reply...I had to hear from Kim at Camelot that, no, it was the entire run. That was also disappointing.

Comment

I agree. Particularly so is the fact that it *still* (I just checked) says all but the two will sign, even though it’s far past the time the publisher would know this apparently optimistic ad copy did not turn out to be correct.

I emailed him twice after the books’ arrival to see if it was perhaps just my copy, perhaps misbound and missing a third sig page, but never received a reply...I had to hear from Kim at Camelot that, no, it was the entire run. That was also disappointing.
                        I ordered a Lettered Matheson book from Gauntlet a few years ago based on there being a handwritten manuscript page signed by Matheson included with each copy. When I got the book, no manuscript page. I emailed Gauntlet, and the response was basically "Oh yeah, we never did get those pages, tough luck." I doubt I will ever order from them again.
                        Last edited by Dave1442397; 03-08-2019, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave1442397 View Post
                          I ordered a Lettered Matheson book from Gauntlet a few years ago based on their being a handwritten manuscript page signed by Matheson included with each copy. When I got the book, no manuscript page. I emailed Gauntlet, and the response was basically "Oh yeah, we never did get those pages, tough luck." I doubt I will ever order from them again.
                          I didn't have bad customer service or a "tough luck" experience with Gauntlet, but I was thoroughly unimpressed with their lettered edition of RUSTY PUPPY. In particular the paper stock felt like it should have been in a dime store paperback instead of a collectible edition.

Comment

I've always had pleasant experiences with Barry throughout the years -- though I've heard grumbling from others now and then -- and have been generally pleased with his books, which made this particular experience particularly puzzling and disappointing. I thought perhaps I caught him on a trip and that's why there was no response to my queries, but the fact that he responded to Kim rather than me quashed that idea.

Oh well, though they're not as represented, the two volume set does look good and I'm looking forward to reading the antho (have already read BEARDLESS WARRIORS some time ago), and that's really what's important.

Comment

Got mine today, not overly wowed. As long as the stories are good, I'm fine.
                              Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X