Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Joe Hill - Full Throttle:

Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly Brian861's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Just got home and it is past my bedtime so I will save my comments for another time. I will say this, Ask a question during the Q&A!
    Sounds intriguing.

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement jeffingoff's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    Sounds intriguing.
    Sounds like people who ask a question get a gift?

And Brian, I think getting Joe to sign your edition of I Am Legend is a fantastic idea!

Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post
    Sounds like people who ask a question get a gift?

And Brian, I think getting Joe to sign your edition of I Am Legend is a fantastic idea!
    Thanks, Jeff! I have a question ready to go if I get the chance.

Great evening with this past Wednesday with Jason and his wife Katie at the event in Denver. They were kind enough to cart us from our hotel to the event and dinner afterwards. Pictured left to right are: Myself, some guy who was there scribbling in folk's books, Jason, and Shac from TDT.org.

Me With Joe Hill 3.jpg

Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? Martin's Avatar
    Great evening with this past Wednesday with Jason and his wife Katie at the event in Denver. They were kind enough to cart us from our hotel to the event and dinner afterwards. Pictured left to right are: Myself, some guy who was there scribbling in folk's books, Jason, and Shac from TDT.org.

Me With Joe Hill 3.jpg
    Glad you got to see him live!

Thanks! Me too!

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement Ben Staad's Avatar
    Hope you had a fun evening. It is cool to be able to meet up with other collectors at these events.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Staad View Post
    Hope you had a fun evening. It is cool to be able to meet up with other collectors at these events.
    It was awesome! Our wives were like, "So you guys are good with getting into vehicles with complete strangers?!". Jason and I were like,"Pfft, we've known each other for years ".

Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? Martin's Avatar
    It was awesome! Our wives were like, "So you guys are good with getting into vehicles with complete strangers?!". Jason and I were like,"Pfft, we've known each other for years ".
    My wife is more on the 'There are no strangers' side of things. She will engage anyone, anywhere. I am not like that.

Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement jeffingoff's Avatar
    That's awesome! Really great community we got here!

My wife is more on the 'There are no strangers' side of things. She will engage anyone, anywhere. I am not like that.
    Me too, Martin! But it was kinda like meaning up with an old friend. Natural as could be. I think it'd be the same if/when I meet any of ya.

Me too, Martin! But it was kinda like meaning up with an old friend. Natural as could be. I think it'd be the same if/when I meet any of ya.
    With this group I pretty much feel like I know you so it would not be a problem. I am generally antisocial and my wife is not. Shortly after my now wife got together my mom decided she was the one and gave her a bunch of stuff from my childhood. One item was a roll of photos taken when I was bout 6 months old. A place I worked once had a 'guess the baby' contest so one had been cut out for that. We were at a pre-wedding gathering and the room was basically two groups who did not know the other group. My wife had put the one photo of me in her purse. The room was mostly quiet and my wife pulls the photo and asks people who it is. Apparently I look the same as I did at six months old because everyone knew who it was. It broke the ice and from that point on everyone was introducing themselves and chatting. Side note, at the work 'guess the baby' contest absolutely no one guessed me wrong.

Nothing wrong with looking 6 months old your entire life. I'd say you've aged well.

Nothing wrong with looking 6 months old your entire life. I'd say you've aged well.
    I am not sure I ever looked 6 months old. When I turned 16, to take moms car for the evening I had to go to the store and get her a quart of Olympia. The cost was .89 so I always thought it was a great deal. As a teenager people always said I was basically born grown up as I did not act like a teenager.

I am not sure I ever looked 6 months old. When I turned 16, to take moms car for the evening I had to go to the store and get her a quart of Olympia. The cost was .89 so I always thought it was a great deal. As a teenager people always said I was basically born grown up as I did not act like a teenager.
    My grandmother would have said you were born with an old soul.

My grandmother would have said you were born with an old soul.
    I cannot tell you how many times I have been told that.

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication TacomaDiver's Avatar
    I'm a little late to the game, but a week and a half ago I went to the Joe Hill signing that was here in Denver.

Joe read an abbreviated version of one of the stories that is in Full Throttle - definitely an uplifting tale of air travel. He assured us that Full Throttle contained ever more tales of an uplifting nature, so I can't want to get to this one...
    IMG_0061.jpg

The last time we saw Joe (on the NOS4A2 tour,) we took a fun "soccer scarf" picture, and since he seemed to be game for pictures again this time, my wife suggested we take and "old-timey" picture. Joe seemed like he thought this was a good idea and played along.
    IMG_0072.jpg

(Note - I never know what to do with my hands in pictures. Ever.)

Honestly, I think the highlight of the evening was the new people we met. Brian touched on it a bit above, but my wife and I met Brian and his wife (who I still can't believe drove all the way to Denver from Kansas just to meet/see Joe Hill!) I know the wives both had the "you're meeting a stranger from the internet?" question, but I think we were both pretty good judge of characters, even just from forum posts over the years.

It was a fun evening - and one I'd do again in a heartbeat (except next time I'll go to the right hotel the first time . . .)

Quote Originally Posted by TacomaDiver View Post
    I'm a little late to the game, but a week and a half ago I went to the Joe Hill signing that was here in Denver.

Joe read an abbreviated version of one of the stories that is in Full Throttle - definitely an uplifting tale of air travel. He assured us that Full Throttle contained ever more tales of an uplifting nature, so I can't want to get to this one...
    IMG_0061.jpg

The last time we saw Joe (on the NOS4A2 tour,) we took a fun "soccer scarf" picture, and since he seemed to be game for pictures again this time, my wife suggested we take and "old-timey" picture. Joe seemed like he thought this was a good idea and played along.
    IMG_0072.jpg

(Note - I never know what to do with my hands in pictures. Ever.)

Honestly, I think the highlight of the evening was the new people we met. Brian touched on it a bit above, but my wife and I met Brian and his wife (who I still can't believe drove all the way to Denver from Kansas just to meet/see Joe Hill!) I know the wives both had the "you're meeting a stranger from the internet?" question, but I think we were both pretty good judge of characters, even just from forum posts over the years.

It was a fun evening - and one I'd do again in a heartbeat (except next time I'll go to the right hotel the first time . . .)
    Haha, Jason! You just had you're Q's mixed up as far as the hotel. Again, it was great meeting you guys as well and I'm hoping we'll get the chance to attend another event together. Awesome beer suggestion to boot!

Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication TacomaDiver's Avatar
    Haha, Jason! You just had you're Q's mixed up as far as the hotel. Again, it was great meeting you guys as well and I'm hoping we'll get the chance to attend another event together. Awesome beer suggestion to boot!
    That beer selection was definitely a gamble!! I'm glad it paid off.