Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
Results 141 to 160 of 177

Thread: Joe Hill - Full Throttle:

  1. #141
    Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly Brian861's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    2,712
    Rep Power
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    Just got home and it is past my bedtime so I will save my comments for another time. I will say this, Ask a question during the Q&A!
    Sounds intriguing.

  2. #142
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement jeffingoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois, United States
    Posts
    1,849
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    Sounds intriguing.
    Sounds like people who ask a question get a gift?

    And Brian, I think getting Joe to sign your edition of I Am Legend is a fantastic idea!

  3. #143
    Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly Brian861's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    2,712
    Rep Power
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffingoff View Post
    Sounds like people who ask a question get a gift?

    And Brian, I think getting Joe to sign your edition of I Am Legend is a fantastic idea!
    Thanks, Jeff! I have a question ready to go if I get the chance.

  4. #144
    Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly Brian861's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    2,712
    Rep Power
    52
    Great evening with this past Wednesday with Jason and his wife Katie at the event in Denver. They were kind enough to cart us from our hotel to the event and dinner afterwards. Pictured left to right are: Myself, some guy who was there scribbling in folk's books, Jason, and Shac from TDT.org.

    Me With Joe Hill 3.jpg

  5. #145
    Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    6,027
    Rep Power
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    Great evening with this past Wednesday with Jason and his wife Katie at the event in Denver. They were kind enough to cart us from our hotel to the event and dinner afterwards. Pictured left to right are: Myself, some guy who was there scribbling in folk's books, Jason, and Shac from TDT.org.

    Me With Joe Hill 3.jpg
    Glad you got to see him live!

  6. #146
    Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly Brian861's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    2,712
    Rep Power
    52
    Thanks! Me too!

  7. #147
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement Ben Staad's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Beyond the Grave
    Posts
    1,613
    Rep Power
    13
    Hope you had a fun evening. It is cool to be able to meet up with other collectors at these events.

  8. #148
    Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly Brian861's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    2,712
    Rep Power
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Staad View Post
    Hope you had a fun evening. It is cool to be able to meet up with other collectors at these events.
    It was awesome! Our wives were like, "So you guys are good with getting into vehicles with complete strangers?!". Jason and I were like,"Pfft, we've known each other for years ".

  9. #149
    Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    6,027
    Rep Power
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    It was awesome! Our wives were like, "So you guys are good with getting into vehicles with complete strangers?!". Jason and I were like,"Pfft, we've known each other for years ".
    My wife is more on the 'There are no strangers' side of things. She will engage anyone, anywhere. I am not like that.

  10. #150
    Senior Member 1st Rubber Room Confinement jeffingoff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Chicago, Illinois, United States
    Posts
    1,849
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    It was awesome! Our wives were like, "So you guys are good with getting into vehicles with complete strangers?!". Jason and I were like,"Pfft, we've known each other for years ".
    That's awesome! Really great community we got here!

  11. #151
    Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly Brian861's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    2,712
    Rep Power
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    My wife is more on the 'There are no strangers' side of things. She will engage anyone, anywhere. I am not like that.
    Me too, Martin! But it was kinda like meaning up with an old friend. Natural as could be. I think it'd be the same if/when I meet any of ya.

  12. #152
    Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    6,027
    Rep Power
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    Me too, Martin! But it was kinda like meaning up with an old friend. Natural as could be. I think it'd be the same if/when I meet any of ya.
    With this group I pretty much feel like I know you so it would not be a problem. I am generally antisocial and my wife is not. Shortly after my now wife got together my mom decided she was the one and gave her a bunch of stuff from my childhood. One item was a roll of photos taken when I was bout 6 months old. A place I worked once had a 'guess the baby' contest so one had been cut out for that. We were at a pre-wedding gathering and the room was basically two groups who did not know the other group. My wife had put the one photo of me in her purse. The room was mostly quiet and my wife pulls the photo and asks people who it is. Apparently I look the same as I did at six months old because everyone knew who it was. It broke the ice and from that point on everyone was introducing themselves and chatting. Side note, at the work 'guess the baby' contest absolutely no one guessed me wrong.

  13. #153
    Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly Brian861's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    2,712
    Rep Power
    52
    Nothing wrong with looking 6 months old your entire life. I'd say you've aged well.

  14. #154
    Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    6,027
    Rep Power
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    Nothing wrong with looking 6 months old your entire life. I'd say you've aged well.
    I am not sure I ever looked 6 months old. When I turned 16, to take moms car for the evening I had to go to the store and get her a quart of Olympia. The cost was .89 so I always thought it was a great deal. As a teenager people always said I was basically born grown up as I did not act like a teenager.

  15. #155
    Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly Brian861's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    2,712
    Rep Power
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    I am not sure I ever looked 6 months old. When I turned 16, to take moms car for the evening I had to go to the store and get her a quart of Olympia. The cost was .89 so I always thought it was a great deal. As a teenager people always said I was basically born grown up as I did not act like a teenager.
    My grandmother would have said you were born with an old soul.

  16. #156
    Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    6,027
    Rep Power
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    My grandmother would have said you were born with an old soul.
    I cannot tell you how many times I have been told that.

  17. #157
    Senior Member Jeez! Don't you have anything better to do with your time? Martin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    6,027
    Rep Power
    25

  18. #158
    Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication TacomaDiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Greater Denver Area, Colorado
    Posts
    974
    Rep Power
    10
    I'm a little late to the game, but a week and a half ago I went to the Joe Hill signing that was here in Denver.

    Joe read an abbreviated version of one of the stories that is in Full Throttle - definitely an uplifting tale of air travel. He assured us that Full Throttle contained ever more tales of an uplifting nature, so I can't want to get to this one...
    IMG_0061.jpg

    The last time we saw Joe (on the NOS4A2 tour,) we took a fun "soccer scarf" picture, and since he seemed to be game for pictures again this time, my wife suggested we take and "old-timey" picture. Joe seemed like he thought this was a good idea and played along.
    IMG_0072.jpg

    (Note - I never know what to do with my hands in pictures. Ever.)

    Honestly, I think the highlight of the evening was the new people we met. Brian touched on it a bit above, but my wife and I met Brian and his wife (who I still can't believe drove all the way to Denver from Kansas just to meet/see Joe Hill!) I know the wives both had the "you're meeting a stranger from the internet?" question, but I think we were both pretty good judge of characters, even just from forum posts over the years.

    It was a fun evening - and one I'd do again in a heartbeat (except next time I'll go to the right hotel the first time . . .)

  19. #159
    Senior Member Starting to Drool Incessantly Brian861's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Wichita, KS
    Posts
    2,712
    Rep Power
    52
    Quote Originally Posted by TacomaDiver View Post
    I'm a little late to the game, but a week and a half ago I went to the Joe Hill signing that was here in Denver.

    Joe read an abbreviated version of one of the stories that is in Full Throttle - definitely an uplifting tale of air travel. He assured us that Full Throttle contained ever more tales of an uplifting nature, so I can't want to get to this one...
    IMG_0061.jpg

    The last time we saw Joe (on the NOS4A2 tour,) we took a fun "soccer scarf" picture, and since he seemed to be game for pictures again this time, my wife suggested we take and "old-timey" picture. Joe seemed like he thought this was a good idea and played along.
    IMG_0072.jpg

    (Note - I never know what to do with my hands in pictures. Ever.)

    Honestly, I think the highlight of the evening was the new people we met. Brian touched on it a bit above, but my wife and I met Brian and his wife (who I still can't believe drove all the way to Denver from Kansas just to meet/see Joe Hill!) I know the wives both had the "you're meeting a stranger from the internet?" question, but I think we were both pretty good judge of characters, even just from forum posts over the years.

    It was a fun evening - and one I'd do again in a heartbeat (except next time I'll go to the right hotel the first time . . .)
    Haha, Jason! You just had you're Q's mixed up as far as the hotel. Again, it was great meeting you guys as well and I'm hoping we'll get the chance to attend another event together. Awesome beer suggestion to boot!

  20. #160
    Senior Member Receiving Daily Medication TacomaDiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Greater Denver Area, Colorado
    Posts
    974
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian861 View Post
    Haha, Jason! You just had you're Q's mixed up as far as the hotel. Again, it was great meeting you guys as well and I'm hoping we'll get the chance to attend another event together. Awesome beer suggestion to boot!
    That beer selection was definitely a gamble!! I'm glad it paid off.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •